Japanese Route For Tsw: Chūō East Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NorthRail1, Mar 4, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    82.7%
  2. No, DTG should make other Japanese routes

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. No, DTG should focus on different countries other than Japan

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Chūō East Line
    So far, Dovetail Games has understandably focused on creating content from the main 3 countries in TSW, the USA, UK and Germany. However, Dovetail Games has stated that they want to expand into new territories for Train Sim World. Japan would be one of the best places for TSW to feature as it has an extensive railway network with a variety of different locomotive types. As a first route, I believe that the Chuo East Line would make a good choice.
    The Chuo East Line is operated by JR East and operates between Tokyo and Shiojiri, a distance of 222 km. If that distance is too much, the route could be split into two sections with Kofu as the half-way point at 134 km from Tokyo. The route has a speed of 130 km/h and many stations, creating potential for many commuter services. There are also express services such as the Azusa along with many freight services also.

Locomotives
    JR East E257
    JR_East_E257_Limited_Express_Azusa.jpg

The JR East E257 is the principal InterCity train on this route operating the Azusa, Kaiji, Chuo Liner and Ome Liner services along the Chuo line. It has a maximum speed of 130 km/h, the same as the line. These locomotives are set to be replaced in 2018 though so if this route is made it may contain the replacement locomotives.
    JR East E351
    1280px-E351_Super_Azusa_20100119.jpg

The E351 is another type of Intercity train used on this route. It operates the Super Azusa limited stop service along the whole length of the route. Like the E257, the E351 has a maximum speed of 130 km/h and will be replaced by March 2018 by newer traction.
    JR East 211 Series
    JR_East_211-3000.jpg

The 211 Series operates local commuter trains along the route. They have a maximum speed of 110 km/h, slower than the InterCity locomotives
    JR Freight EH200
    EH200-22_chuo_line_20101017.jpg

Freight services along the route are operated by JR Freight, the main freight operator in Japan. JR Freight uses the EH200 locomotive due to the steep grades on the route (up to 2.5%). A variety of different freight types are transported along this route.
    Conclusion
    The Chuo Line in Japan would make a good choice for expansion out of the three main countries in TSW. There are a variety of InterCity, commuter and freight services which operate along the route. The route travels through mountainous regions, with grades of up to 2.5% which is a contrast to the GWE, Rapid Transit and NEC routes which are broadly flat. The route also provides opportunity for further expansion as many types of locomotives other than the ones mentioned above operate along this route.

• Like Like x 22
  2. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Yay! Seems to be perfect!

• Like Like x 2
  3. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

WHOA! I've just posted and you up-voted my post just a moment after! I'm baffled with enjoyment beyond belief!

4. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

That E351 immediately brought the image of a beluga whale to mind. I don't know why, but I always fancy odd looking locomotives. I like this suggestion!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

I can understand why. The round-ish white shape, in my opinion, is reminiscent of a Beluga whale. :)
    I like this suggestion too!

6. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

I wish there was a "Yes, and DTG should make other Japanese routes" option. I'm never going to say no to a Japanese line.
    Although without as many train types, the iconic Yamanote Line would be great to have also.

7. GMAN001

GMAN001 Member

I think that would be fantastic to see such line implemented.

I believe the game 'Railfan' on PS3 incorporates such line (or maybe only a portion of it?). You can check it out here:

8. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

???? Isn't that just a camera strapped onto a train with HUD overlayed???

9. GMAN001

GMAN001 Member

Yea haha. It's actually pretty fun though.

Obviously it would be better in TSW as it would allow for different weather effects, signals, line traffic and so on. Since 'Railfan' is just recorded video, every time you play, it's all the same. You pass the same trains at the same points and the same people are on the platforms and so on :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

True, but I and quite a few others wouldn't be able to play it, since TSW isn't for macOS, and it's DX11 which means I wouldn't be able to play it via Porting Kit. Also, did you notice that DTG always release US content, then UK content, then DE content? It's TSW:CSXHH (US), TSW:GWE (UK), TSW:RT (DE), and then repeat again, TSW:NEC (US), TSW:WSR (UK) and then presumably something German again?
    Would it also be fun, if these were real trains, where with Railfan, it lets you remote-control a real train somewhere on earth? :D

11. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

A nice collection of sights of EMUs and a few freight locos at Uenohara Station, which in the middle(ish) of this route, with some nice scenery around

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it to the game with Union Workshop making the route.

13. maxthum

maxthum Active Member

Kinda convinced that the modern era is better suited for TSW.

I mean, a train that looks like the Sony PS5.

JR East E353.
    [​IMG]

14. Commiee

I've never made that resemblance myself but it sounds legit ))) E353 was awarded the Laurel Prize in 2018, so it is recognised not only by railfans.

15. Commiee

Adding some freight footage to complete the visual look of the proposal. This is Shiojiri Station, where you can find no less than... a platform vineyard!

This is a great example of how approach to rail in Japan is so different from the rest of the world, where practical and singular purposes override other considerations. In contrast, in Japan fusing tradition and history into modern infrastructure and spaces is a thing, and a great one at that.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022