Tilting Trains

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by solicitr, Jun 17, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I know that it would be a rather large development project to have the TSW engine model tilting trains- but it's something I think needs to be done unless DTG want to be stuck forever without such now-ubiqitous expresses as the Pendolino, ICE-T, Acela and (soon) Avelia Liberty.

• Like Like x 9
  2. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Both the Acela and ICE-T would be great add-ons for the American and German Rush Hour routes respectively, so maybe the technology for both these trains can be developed at the same time, splitting the developement costs of tilting technology across two DLC's.

However, to me it doesn't matter which train for which route, as tilting trains are just immensely fascinating to me and I'd love to see them in TSW someday.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that someone from DTG has said tilting trains are possible, don't quote me on that but I'm 99% sure it's been said in the past :)

4. jolojonasgames

Yeah, if I recall correctly Matt stated in a stream that there was nothing that made them impossible, but there also wasn't any tech for it yet.

• Like Like x 2
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Perfect match for Boston Providence Acela Express Avelia Liberty and Riesa-Dresden DB BR411 to which it's available on Sister Game Train Sim 21 but not train simulator world. If a SBB CFF FFS route were to be in TSW 2 those use RABe 500 503 & 502 tilting trains. Of those Swiss Tilting Trains only RABe 503 has PZB LZB 1.95m pantographs Germany and Austria perfectly suited for Karlsruhe Basel the Rhine Valley route and its northern expansion Frankfurt high speed Karlsruhe Frankfurt via Mannheim.

6. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

The newest version of the Shinkanzen is tilting too.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

reallywhich one is that? I didn't know about it.

8. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

If we do get the another German Route set in the Southern Area of Bavaria, there can be a chance for the DB BR 612 to appear, as they're TDMU's (Tilting Diesel Multiple Unit), something People could like.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jolojonasgames

Add the older BR 610 and 611, and maybe even the ICE-TD on a route set a few years in the past (like my Pegnitztalbahn suggestion ;)) and you'll have a lof TDMU action.

Of course there are also many tilting trains in the rest of Europe (mainly Switzerland, Italy and of course the UK) and other parts of the world, (nearly) all of which would be fun.

10. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

The 16 car N700 on the Tokaido, the E5 and E6 on the Tohoku/Akita are all fitted with tilt - only 1 degree IIRC

The 8 car N700 sets used west of Osaka on the Sanyo are not fitted as the newer alignment allows higher speeds then the 1960s Tokaido route

• Like Like x 2
  11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Those are tilting Japanese Shinkansen trains with did suspension and if you are looking for a European high-speed train with tilting at the same speeds as those you're looking at Renfe Ave S102 & 112. Home line for them is Perpignan-Barcelona Railway where they operate Figures Vilafant Madrid Atocha with S103

12. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

The UK APT-E and APT-P are a pair of must have classes (APT-E i believe never gained a TOPS class but APT-P became Class 370).
    Although similar in concept, they were very different types with -E being Gas Turbine powered and -P running on 25kv OHLE.

• Like Like x 5
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Why are they "must have"? They lasted about six years total, ran very limited service when they were running and except for the fact that they got so much press as "the future of the railways" nobody would know much about them. So many trains I would put ahead of them, even on the same line... 86s/87s/91s being prime examples.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Definitely! I'd like to see the ATP-P be the first tilt train to come to TSW. It would need a good, long route to run on though.

DTG already made it for TS too so hopefully they'd still have the research material for it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jolojonasgames

Yeah don't get me wrong, because I also really like the APT's and they were the start of tilting trains, but I think that they wouldn't be good as the first tilting train in-game, they are too niche for that.

If there ever were an electrified mainline route set in the appropriate era, then I would probably enjoy it, but as it stands the Acela and/or ICE-T would be more logical and might also reach a broader audience.

16. solicitr

I would suspect that the Acela is the no-brainer priority DLC for NEC Boston. And once DTG have developed the programming for tilt, the ICE-T is almost essential for nearly any route in Germany.

• Like Like x 1
  17. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Simply because they laid the ground work for all the examples that came considerably later.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ARuscoe

Maybe I prefer things in game that are most useful across many instances before we get to the niche things that people only remember because they didn't actually have the chance to become passe

• Like Like x 1
  19. solicitr

So did Stephenson's Rocket, but I can't see DTG doing that either

20. ARuscoe

I had something similar typed out last night but decided not to bother