Rivet Games Has Been Involved In The Cathcart Circle Line

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by erg73, Jun 18, 2021.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I don't think they're particularly "anti-AP", more likely anti people who everytime they release something, they change their old software to use that new thing, thus breaking it for people who had it before (if they update)

2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I don't know if you have permission to use pet names for DTG's young female staff, or whether the staff member in question is bothered by it.... but I can tell you that I personally find it really creepy.... a bit disgusting really. Have you noticed, yet, that she doesn't respond to these.... "comments".....or whatever they are....

*shudders*

Euggghhh. *shudders* ... really icky.... almost makes me want to throw up. :o

(In my stomach's opinion)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I am pleased to see this thread has found it's way back to the original topic, let's keep it that way.

synthetic.angel
    You have attempted to overshadow the original topic of this thread to go into great detail about your own personal grievances with Cathcart and other routes created by DTG. This is not the place to do so, and is unfair to the OP.

If you would like to take the time to explain what you are disappointed with, then I suggest you create a thread of your own - do not hijack someone else's.

There has also been significant confusion about how you feel Rivet are a part of DTG, I am unsure how you came to this conclusion, but both companies are most certainly separate.
    Should Rivet decide to create their own simulation game, we would wish them the best of luck. But the partnership we have works for both companies and is no different from the partnerships we have with other third parties.

If you have issues with another users forum comments, if you think something is unsuitable or that we need to intervene please report the post so we can determine if action is required ourselves.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  4. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Finally. Thank you, Nat.

• Like Like x 5
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Natalka is a diminutive of Natalia (Natalie) in Polish. I'm talking like this to my friends.
    They have never protested. End these conspiracy theories.
    Though you're right - not everyone likes diminutives! I know that...

Now I understand you are not one and the same person. How do you like such paraphrases and suggestions? Probably not at all.

Have a nice day, my frozen angel :) Don't be angry there for too long unnecessarily \o/

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. cp1400

cp1400 Member

It feels somewhat of a "righteous" payback for past criticism which doesn't come across as very professional at all. You're (Rivet) there to make you're job, a good job, if people like it they buy it, if not, they don't. There should in no way be a feeling or position of superiority or arrogance. If there is, then I'm afraid I believe they are doing the wrong thing with their lives and might choose a different métier to work at.

This is of course only a mere perception (Not the first time though, as there has been some Rivet feedback towards customer feedback and concerns that were answered in a very non professional way before).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  7. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Well, thank you for your candour/honesty. Although I note that (in my experience) people that make a habit of diminishing women tend to be over-compensating for the dimunitive size of their own.... um... hands... And people that take it further and use terms like "frozen" and "frigid" when their attention isn't reciprocated tend to be the kind of people that, quite ironically, aren't able to produce anything that's worth putting in a freezer..... :-D Given the tone of your last sentence, I refrained from looking at the link you provided, although I can assure you that I am cetainly not angry or offended. Slightly saddened, maybe.... because you do sometimes make good points, like here:

.......which brings us nicely back on topic..... I agree with you that it doesn't ultimately matter who was involved with Cathcart Circle (or any TSW DLC), whether that's on a second party or third party basis - all of the TSW DLCs are published by DTG, and purchased from DTG. It would only cause a problem if DTG were to say things like "Oh no - that's not for us to fix, because we got somebody else to make that part for us.... so, it's for them to fix it.... not us - not in our remit...".... etc. All of the TSW DLCs are DTG DLCs.

By the way, I have no axe to grind with "Rivet" per se. But I am concerned that when 2nd and 3rd parties are involved that you can get problems like trains not fitting in the loading gauge - so I was sceptical about the DB BR 204, but it turned out to be a fabulous DLC. Likewise, although it might seem controversial or unexpected/unpopular, I quite like that the focus for resources on Arosa was on train detail and near distance scenery. This is perhaps why Cathcart looks so good (love the retaining wall textures), but it might also explain why the performance on asset/tile loading is so poor, and the optimisation has suffered. I wonder if "Rivet" even has access to a PS4 DevKit.... It's hard enough to get DTG to run a DLC through a PS4 DevKit.

• Like Like x 2
  8. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

which is technically not correct. Rivet (and not "'Rivet'") has their own store where you can buy a TSW DLC from their own website. Yeah you get a steam key. But you can purchase it from Rivet directly. For example here: https://www.rivet-games.com/de/product/tsw2-arosa-linie/#

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think you are being rather excessively "saddened" on behalf of another person who has not voiced any objection, and who certainly doesn't mind being called "Nat" or "Natster." Are we now to invoke wokewrath any time we call a woman "Patty" or "Meg?" And why wouldn't that rule apply to "Sam" or "Matt?"

• Like Like x 6
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, "publish" and "sell" are not the same thing. The Hobbit is published by HarperCollins, even if it is sold by Amazon etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

For anyone else wondering what the devil is going on with this post, read page 1, little of page two then shut the door as you move to another thread.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The same can be said for too many threads in recent weeks sadly.

• Like Like x 2
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Because there is nothing new to buy. It's out of boredom :)
    Where is the Crane Freaaak?!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I find the personal stuff boring and distracting. Please, if you are not posting about trains and/or TSW2, don't post on these forums. At the very least, use the "off topic " section or go someplace else.

• Like Like x 6
  15. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I find it a bit odd as nowadays we get copyright rammed down our throats and how possessive companies are of their own software and Rivet are in the business of producing their own work and promoting what they do. With that said I find it strange why Rivet and/or DTG would not say Rivet were involved from the start.

It might be because, untill they say differently, it seems DTG did not want to affect sales after the scenery issue in Arosa. For me I did not buy Arosa or Cathcart but I did the IOW, which I like. I think that there might be some people who would not have bought Cathcart if they had known Rivet was involved but also might have seen the good reviews and purchased it later, who knows?

I'm someone who only buys UK routes but when I saw the night time issues at Cathcart it put me off, I'll stick to England and Wales now, lol. Who is responsible for the light issues at Stations, DTG or Rivet? If it is Rivet I wonder if their reputation has been enhanced or hindered now they have 'come out' ? lol.

In the UK we have products that cost less than TSW2 and get a year's guarantee for so I do not see your point.

• Like Like x 1
  16. chieflongshin

I'm interested to see what they do with Pernzance route. I've noticed we've gone on the streams from being on the cusp of announcing Penzance trains to absolute silence and from previewing Cane Creek last week to being put back a week.

Both third parties. I just hope it's indicative that all parties are recognising we can spot a half baked cake and sometimes a little longer in the oven will mean more people buy.

• Like Like x 3
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

And we want a cherry on top.

• Like Like x 2
  18. dhekelian

If only that cherry could be a '313' eh?

• Like Like x 2
  19. chieflongshin

I’m still hopeful that one day I’ll look to the side and Sam or Matt or Adam , Nat etc get guest appearances as co drivers

• Like Like x 1
  20. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Probably because Rivet know their reputation has been hammered by Arosa and - to a lesser extent - Isle of Wight.
    Had the route gone south I doubt anyone would have said anything.
    I'm not bashing Rivet here as they did quite a good job but from a rivet POV you'd want to watch the tide before leaving port*

*I've never heard this figure of speech before so I'm presuming I made a brand new one up successfully

• Like Like x 1
  21. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

That would actually have a pretty high FOF for me. :D

22. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

So when Company B works for Company A under contract and they don't tell anyone and you're surprised? This is kind of how the software industry works. So much work is done by contractors and sub-contractors both in the company and individual sense. Its a bit like a Resume, do you think my name is on any of the stuff I've done with companies over the 35 years in the IT industry? No but its in my resume.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  23. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I really can't understand what the controversy is about!

• Like Like x 6
  24. trainsimplayer

Neither

• Like Like x 3
  25. ARuscoe

This
    The insinuation is that they should stop messing about with new things when they should be spending all their time fixing things that are already out there (in the opinion of people who think they should be fixed, obviously)

• Like Like x 2
  26. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Arosa Line is reduced in the Steam sale.
    Let's check it out if it's really that bad as 3 people said.

• Like Like x 1
  27. chieflongshin

I’ll see your three and add a few more. It’s evidentially a split hair on this one

E4659047-CF6E-46F7-9234-9E57065436E7.png

Iow too

D23678ED-B07D-4020-83BC-0DFDE3C2B3A7.png

• Like Like x 1
  28. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Glasgow Cathcart Circle has to be one of the best, if not the best, modelled line for TSW. In every direction I look, I see detail and no shortcuts took. This DLC stands out to the rest of the others, as it seems it was fine tuned and polished in regards to the details and asset placements.

The question is, how was this level of detail and attention achieved if development time was the same as every other route?

Whatever the answer, I hope to see this level of detail and attention for all future TSW 2 routes. God forbid if we go back to SEHS level of detail, as that route is an absolute joke and embarrassment.

• Like Like x 8
  29. chieflongshin

londonmidland this is my fear, their inconsistency. Fingers crossed

• Like Like x 1
  30. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think the fact that there's only 20-25 miles of track does play a major part in that. They can spend more time on enhancing the scenery after placing the main bulk of it, because there's less of the main bulk.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. trainsimplayer

I actually think this had a shorter dev time than other routes - however it is only 20 odd miles, but if routes like BML (and West Cornwall, I suppose) are of the same quality then I'm very hopeful.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  32. londonmidland

Remember it’s not all about mileage. You could have a very long line, but with not much in between it.

The most amount of development time is building and modelling the stations. Glasgow isn’t exactly rural either. Clearly Rivet and DTG working together has had an impact and long may it continue.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Gives me an idea for a DLC that is just one really huge yard with loads to do and trains coming and going via portals in all directions to drop off and take away consists. You play the role of the shunter organising and moving items around to order. That would be a small area but could have loads of detail, maybe a good way to introduce marshalling instructions which aren't yet included in TSW? Would be like one of those store manager games where you make weapons for adventurers rather than being the adventurer yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  34. ARuscoe

Maybe when they get steam going this is something they will have. Sounds like something would happen in steam or end of steam days

• Like Like x 1
  35. dhekelian

Yes I can see that GCC looks nice, but the best? Only one train and the total near darkness at the stations at night. I know that the lighting effects other routes as well but for me I'd say routes like SEHS, GWE, TVL, ETC offer more.

36. londonmidland

In regards to the scenery, I'd vote Cathcart to be the best so far. Lighting issues will hopefully be resolved.

SEHS definitely ISN'T known for its good scenery. In fact it's well known that is has several scenery issues and lots of blank/incomplete areas. It looks like a rushed made route and it shows.

• Like Like x 3
  37. ARuscoe

In terms of scenery density, quality and usage I would agree that Cathcart is the best looking route so far. The problems with lighting at night are the same on the other routes you mentioned and "one train" isn't really anything to do with scenery
    If you're going to go down that route I'd say SEHS is an awful route, because the 375s don't run to Gravesend so that makes it "look very wrong"

• Like Like x 3
  38. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

route building at its finest
    niceonedtg.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  39. trainsimplayer

Ok, that's bad.
    Right at the station as well.

• Like Like x 3
  40. londonmidland

Yeah SEHS was definitely a rushed made route. There are so many areas which look so poorly modelled. Even right from the view of your train.

41. dhekelian

Must admit I actually prefer SEHS to GCC, I don't tend to pay that much attention to the scenery as I'm usually try desperately to correct a mistake, lol.
    Seriously though I would put choice of trains in front scenery but scenery is important as well.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

The fact Glasgow only comes with one train doesn't actually bother me. I think it's because I can immerse myself in the world much easier on Cathcart than I can on SEHS because the scenery has more detail in it, particularly the stations, and it can get to the point where I actually don't really notice there's only the 314.

• Like Like x 2
  43. dhekelian

Unless you play at night where you are hard pushed to see anything in the stations.

44. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

That’s bloody awful. And that’s not the worst of it on SEHS.

• Like Like x 2
  45. munska

munska New Member

I am very sorry gentlemen but from the title it implies that the forum doesn't have a favourable view on Rivet Games....? Did something i miss happen? I'm new to TSW so i lack any context whatsoever

46. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Not everyone. There are four camps I guess you could say
    • A collection of haters that would find fault in everything Rivet do no matter what and own none of it so really shouldn't be complaining all that much but they do and they're incessant and they're loud - I wouldn't bother listening to them
    • People who play Rivet content in TSW 2 and don't like it - these people I would listen to - understand the things they don't like and decide for yourself if it would matter for you
    • People who play Rivet content and while they acknowledge there are some issues also acknowledge that it is playable and most of the time is as fun as any other TSW content - this is another group to listen to - I kind hope I fall into this one
    • People who play Rivet content and enjoy it all the time every time - you might also call these ones fans - I wouldn't' listen to them either :)

• Like Like x 7
  47. Thorman

Thorman Active Member

Rivet had a decent reputation for their first 2 DLCs : DB BR 204 and the Isle of Wight, but the last one (Arosa Linie) was in my opinion a shame: the scenery is made of trees that look as if they were cut in paper and the rocks near the tracks are all blurred because they didn't apply the textures correctly. Not to mention full parts of mountains missing. This €30 DLC quality is really subpar and Rivet's name is now associated to poor quality products, hence their efforts to show they partipated in Cathcart DLC which looks very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  48. theorganist

I agree with most of this although there are some who simply enjoy the game and don't notice or care about things like bare mountains, I wouldn't necessarily discount them 100%, assuming they own the content and just aren't trolling.

The majority of views on here are balanced. Not all are but I think you can soon tell those who are not objective from what ever position (like or hate) they take.

• Like Like x 6
  49. theorganist

IOW had rather poor quality water and the distant hills were bland and bare and almost cartoon looking, but I am not sure that isn't more of a TSW issue. There are some outstanding bugs to be fixed on IOW. Overall it is a nice route but, I find once you have driven up and down it a couple of times I lose interest. That is the reality of the route though.

• Like Like x 3
  50. Thorman

Thorman Active Member

Yes IOW can be boring and has its bugs, but Arosa is, in my opinion, a lot worse. When playing the game (whatever DLC) I like looking at the scenery and enjoying the details that show the devs have put a lot of efforts in it. In Arosa immersion is immediately broken because everywhere I look I see Xbox 360 graphics and sentences like "How didn't Rivet notice those rocks are all blurred" or "How didn't Rivet notice the bland and bare mountains" come to my mind, and I feel I got screwed.

• Like Like x 1