How The Screen Display Can Look Better In The Cab?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by QO1922, Jun 27, 2021.

1. QO1922

QO1922 Member

Hello,

As I'm a real train driver I would like to play this game without the help of the HUD, so I play with the cockpit gauges.
    In the EMU DB BR442 the information on the screen (speedometer / traction&brake effort) is not seen very clear/detailed. How can I configure my graphics to make it look better?

For me, the most important thing about the graphics (in a realistic train simulator) is the detail in the cab gauges/screen, the view distance of the track, the aspect of the light signal and the physical speed information signs on the side of the track.

My graphic settings are: 1920x1080 resolution and all other items in "High"

image.png

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  2. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Not really sure how much headroom you have in terms of performance looking at your screenshot your already maxing out the GPU but if you have some frames to spare try increasing the screen % above 100% something like 125 - 150 % should help clear up the readability of the displays.

• Like Like x 2
  3. QO1922

QO1922 Member

Hello,

Thanks a lot because increasing the screen solve "my problem" but it causes a drop in FPS. So if I select Screen percentage = 200% the other "Advanced setting" should be in "Low" (all items) to keep a constant FPS value (I have limited the fps to 40).

aaaaaa.png

For me it is fine to lower the graphic options if I win in image quality of the cab screen display/gauges.
    I hope the increase screen percentage will be better optimized one day by DTG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Well if you have screen percentage set to 200% and resolution on 1080p, what's happening is your GPU is rendering the game at 3140x2160 pixels and then crush it down to 1920x1080 pixels, so you get a much sharper image at the cost of frame rate, because your GPU is working doing more stuff. It would be nice to see it more optimised but I don't really know how far they can go in that respect, before it becomes a UE4 issue.

• Like Like x 1
  5. QO1922

QO1922 Member

Ok, thanks for the explanation, I didn't know it... And can there be another way to improve the quality of the screen display without having a cost in the FPS? From Nvidia control or by modifying the engine.ini?

And It is curious (it's a pitty) that having the game in "ultra" the screens display and gauges are not seen well and you have to lower the graphics to set the screen percentage at 200% to see it better

6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

In your Nvidia control panel you may be able to dial up the sharpness, but that's not the same system so I don't know if it'll work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

One thing I've found too is that the visibility of the ICE, Talent and BR185 etc dash screens is greatly improved by inverting the colours (so light text on dark background, you can switch it by clicking on the little moon/eclipse button on the top row of each screen). Makes spotting the SIFA indicator soooooo much easier

• Like Like x 3
  8. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

The only other options that may help although it technically shouldn't because there should be minimal if any LOD to textures in the cab but I have found that setting r.MipMapLODBias=-1 for example in the engine.ini can help essentially force a higher LOD ( level of detail) essentially achieving a similar result to screen % without the massive performance hit.

Suggest you set your textures as high as you can and the screen % back to 100% and add the mipmap ini setting and see if you notice any tangible gain. Keep in mind like anything there is a trade off, the -1 in the mip map essentially instructs the engine to use a higher lod for the texture than it normally would and will result in some odd marring and patterns on some distant textures.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Not sure if it helps but you can zoom in with the mouse wheel. Feels like leaning forward

10. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

It is definitely a limitation of a digital simulator, in real life you can glance quickly down and your eyes can focus so you can see the instruments clearly. Obviously your eyes focus is the same everywhere on a 2D screen.

Personally instead of the HUD, I would like an option for a little box where a view of the essential instruments are magnified. Then at least you are reading the instruments but you can see them clearly and don’t have to strain. It can be small and in the corner like the current speedometer.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Well said. TrackIR may be very beneficial if you want to drive without HUD, but I think in general signal visibility still may be an issue, depending on the selected weather. It also depends on the train if you really need the HUD.A digital speedometer is very helpful.

12. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

That’s true, IRL the modern LED signals can be seen over vast distances and are visible before the signal post itself is visible. Unfortunately on console they tend to pop out at the last minute meaning you have to brake unnecessarily hard.

13. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Ultimately, you are limited by your resolution. 1920x1080 is actually not that great when it comes to image quality, especially on any display larger than like 22 inches. Having said that, the first thing, go into your GPU's Control Panel app, and make sure you set Texture Filtering to High Quality. While you are inside this control panel, there is another setting that will make a world of difference - Image Sharpening. To enable it on a nVidia GPU, follow this guide. If you're on an AMD GPU, right-click on Desktop and open AMD Radeon Software (or whatever the CP you have installed is called), once you have the panel open, go to the Gaming tab, and click on Global Graphics (I would recommend Global, because AMD detects TSW2 funny, sometimes as Train Sim World 2 and sometimes as TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping). Once you're in Graphics settings, turn up the Sharpness slider ultimately to whatever value works for you, but I would start at 80%. As far as I could tell, the sharpness setting has 0 effect on performance, and it makes a big difference.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. QO1922

QO1922 Member

Hello,
    Sorry for the late reply and thank you all for answering me.
    In real life, we do it because the dark screen is better, but I have tried it in the game and I do not notice a difference

Thanks for the suggestion and I return to the 100% screen and graphic detail to ULTRA.

Yes I think the same, there should be an option like F5 in TS2021

Thanks for the explanation and I will try to configure these graphical options of nvidia

15. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Since I'm currently running a toaster for a GPU and potato for CPU, to keep at 1080p (720 or other look real bad), I run the game in a window - hit F11.
    This gives a frame rate increase and all textures are much sharper and brighter.

Ultimately, as most have mentioned, you need a very high end GPU and a 1440p of 4K monitor with 120+Hz refresh rate and 26 to 32" viewable.

16. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

What are your specs?

17. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Core i5 760 2.8GHz @ 3.36GHz, 4GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz, Nvidia Geforce GT 710 (with small overclock), Iiyama 1080p @ 60Hz 24"

My GTX 460 died after 8 years of a big overclock.