Localized Voice Acting And Narrated Scenarios

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by speedbird6780, Jun 25, 2021.

1. speedbird6780

speedbird6780 Member

If you only have played any route other than CSX, GWR, RT and SKA, you may think that the introduction has been narrated by a dev at DTG and that scenarios are not narrated. On CSX, GWR, RT and SKA, the voice guiding you has been localized by what appears to be 3rd party voice actors (can't say if this was the case of GWR, due to voice distortion). The CSX narrator is an American and the RT and SKA narrators are Germans.

Also, CSX and GWR have narrated scenarios, when a text appeared, the voice actor would narrate that.
    At CSX as an assistance driver/2nd man and at GWR on the intercom.

I'd like to see the return of these as this would really add to immersion, while the DTG dev narrated tutorial is an immersion breaker, no offence.

• Like Like x 6
  2. speedbird6780

speedbird6780 Member

BTW, narration would've been a perfect addition to Evening engineering on the LGV.

3. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

I second this. Voice narrated scenarios need to make a come back.

• Like Like x 3
  4. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

I would like to see them add back the Voice Overs in the Scenarios for TSW 2

• Like Like x 1
  5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I have to agree, we need this.
    No offence to Matt (who usually does them) but an English accent (I'm not going to say British, or even where in England because I can't say I know, and British is too broad) in Germany or France just feels off. And for example, in the 'Collector' scenario on Cathcart Circle, it would be good if the Shunter was speaking to you over a radio.

I think it really does help the immersion - in fact it's one of the reasons I usually don't do scenarios.

• Like Like x 2
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree with this proposal and in the future when DTG makes cross-border routes like the Duisburg-Oberhausen-Arnhem Railway and LGV Perpignan Barcelona. Narrators end up being Dutch Speaker if an NS Dutch Railways Abellio ET25 were to be used while a German Narrator is used for DB BR189 tutorial including signalling systems and voltage change. On the other hand, LGV Perpignan Barcelona if abbreviated LGV CLR (CLR stands for LGV Catalonia Languedoc-Roussillon) will require a Spanish speaking Narrator on RENFE S100 & 252 but a French Narrator for TGV Duplex 700 series including signalling systems and voltage change.

• Like Like x 1
  7. speedbird6780

speedbird6780 Member

That would be a good thing, but I think the narrators should still be able to speak English for a local dub.

• Like Like x 2
  8. driverwoods#1787

Thanks for telling me about it and what I am thinking of its native language speaker with English subtitles sort of like how Europeans that have Netflix access watch Dramas and documentaries from South Korea Japan Philippines Turkey and Taiwan.

9. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I think that would defeat the entire purpose of A) the voice-over and B) localisation.

• Like Like x 2
  10. driverwoods#1787

Okay then but how about my original post about this topic and what do you think of that one?

11. Lightspeed

In the core rotes of TSW 2, the Köln-Aachen route has English voiceover but with a German accent in the tutorials. So English voiceovers but, spoken with an European and American accents would make the game more immersive.

• Like Like x 3
  12. speedbird6780

speedbird6780 Member

I meant that. I was suggesting just that.

13. Lightspeed

Ah ok.

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Credit to Cathcart's station announcements, which are definitely Scottish.

• Like Like x 2