Csx Kingsport Subdivision- Gameplay Pack

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Krazy, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

The Clinchfield Railroad has a lot of potential for add-ons. I can think of at least 3 Clinchfield locomotives that I would love to see in the future. But locomotive add-ons aren't the only thing that could be made for the Clinchfield! Clinchfield is probably the second-best route for a gameplay pack similar to Diesel Legends, so here I am, suggesting a gameplay pack!

In the time period the Train Sim Route is set in, the Clinchfield was a few years away from ceasing to exist. The year 1983 came around, and Clinchfield became part of the Seaboard System Railroad. Eventually, Seaboard System merged with Chessie System, and boom, CSX!

Nowadays, CSX runs trains on the tracks that the Clinchfield used to dominate, now known as the Kingsport Subdivision. While it may not be as exciting as the Clinchfield days, there's still some action to be found on the route with the modern CSX trains.

Locomotives
    A good choice for a bit of power on the line is the C40-8W. To differentiate it from the Sand Patch Grade DLC, this version of the loco should have the CSX YN3 paint scheme.
    [​IMG]

For a less powerful alternative, I'd love to see the return of the GP40-2, in YN2 and YN3b schemes.
    [​IMG]

Rolling Stock
    For the coal trains, the 3 bay coal hopper from the C40-8W add-on can be used.
    [​IMG]
    For a bit of variety, there could be brown or white hoppers, instead of just the CSX branded ones.

There are three types of cars that I think would work well for manifest trains:
    Tanker Cars
    [​IMG]

Covered Hoppers
    I personally like the ribbed covered hoppers that were added in Cane Creek.
    [​IMG]
    The smooth covered hoppers from Sand Patch Grade are also pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Gondolas
    This is a new type of freight car that could be added in the pack. I don't know what they carry, but they look nice.
    [​IMG]

Substitution
    Here's a list of things that could substitute into this pack:
    - AC4400CW from Sand Patch Grade
    - SD40-2 from Sand Patch Grade
    - Covered hoppers from Oakville Subdivision and Cane Creek
    - C40-8W in CSX YN2 scheme
    Things that this pack can substitute into other routes:
    - C40-8W in YN3 scheme on the Sand Patch Grade
    - GP40-2 subbing in for CSX SD40-2 services
    - Gondola cars on manifest trains on Sand Patch and Oakville

Services
    I honestly don't know what services CSX runs on the Kingsport Sub. I'm nowhere near an expert like Gary Dolzall. But hey, I can guess!
    - Coal train services on appropriate branches (whichever branches are still used by CSX)
    - Manifest and coal trains that run through the full line
    - Coal loading services
    - Switching services

Changes to the Route
    Since the Clinchfield Railroad is a rural American freight route, it probably doesn't feel too unnatural to drive a modern CSX train through it. But some changes could be made, if possible, such as modern cars and some new buildings.

That's all I can think of for this suggestion. Thanks for reading it, if you did!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  2. csxfan#8403

csxfan#8403 Active Member

And pushers as well. Namely the SD40-2 and SD50 lashups along with C40-8s.

• Like Like x 2
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Why not add in CSX SD70ACE Tier 4 8900s CSX ET44AH 3251-3474 1300s CSX Genset and CSX 1700s SD33ECO entry was 2017.

• Like Like x 3
  4. csxfan#8403

csxfan#8403 Active Member

Not a bad suggestion, my friend.

• Like Like x 2
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Those are found on that line in the present 2021 setting in order to comply with EPA 2015 Tier 4 emissions. Trains Magazine has a paywall after 7 free articles

• Like Like x 2
  6. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I was thinking of suggesting a new locomotive, but I was thinking of this pack in terms of Diesel Legends effort. But yeah, those locomotives would be really cool to have!

• Like Like x 2
  7. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

If we do get this pack, I hope DTG finds a way to get new sounds, especially for the Dash 8, and new horns for both locos. I don't think alot of people will buy this if the locos had the same sounds as the original versions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

For sure. I can understand reusing sounds some of the time, but having basically the exact same horn on 5 completely different CSX locomotives would be terrible. Hopefully that new horn planned for the Clinchfield SD40 can help a bit in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ryandeleone#7949

ryandeleone#7949 New Member

I think if they add the C40-8W I think they should also add the Standard Cab C40-8 in YN2, YN3, And YN3B. This would be a great fit especially with the acquisition of Pan Am Railways in 2020 since they owned a ton of Ex CSX Standard Cab C40-8s and even a handful of Ex CSX C40-8Ws.
    But now most of if not all are currently in service with CSX. One That stands out the most is CSXT 9280 which is currently the only CSX painted and numbered Standard Cab C40-8. It was painted into the latest YN3C BTW. But I think this would be a great fit. Easy to remodel the C40-8W, A simple control stand, And Identical handling and gameplay.

Some Examples Pictured Below...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1