West Coastway: Southampton & Portsmouth - Brighton

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Jun 26, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

90.0%
  2. No Opinion/Don't really care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

10.0%
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

1280px-West_Coastway_line.png Introduction
    The West Coastway line (WCW) is a scenic route connecting three major cities in the South of England: Southampton (Central), Portsmouth (Harbour) and Brighton. The 62 mile route sees a mix of commuter service and regional skipping services, with the iconic Class 158 Sprinter units, and the modern Class 377 & 450s.

(All information immediately below is from real life unless stated)

Southampton Central serves the City of Southampton with services to London, Brighton, Manchester, Cardiff and more, and certainly lives up to demand.
    This station is served by Southern, GWR, SWT & Cross Country.

Portsmouth Harbour is the terminus of
    The Portsmouth Direct Line, from London Waterloo, and hosts services from London Victoria, Brighton, Cardiff and more. And connects to the hovercraft to Ryde, featured in Isle of Wight.
    This station is served by GWR, SWT, Southern.

Brighton is the Main terminus of Southern Rail in the south. Already featured in TSW with East Coastway and the upcoming Brighton Mainline, Brighton is no stranger to TSW, and this route would finish off the Brighton collection, if you will.
    Served by Thameslink services to London and the Midlands, Southern Services on the East & West Coastway lines and the Brighton Mainline, Gatwick Express services to Gatwick Airport and London Victoria, and GWR Services to the west of England.

Experience the West Coastway Line, connecting Brighton, Portsmouth and Southampton, with branches to Bognor Regis & Littlehampton, Carry Commuters and Tourists alike along the South Coast of Great Britain, with the modern BR Class 377 and the wonderful BR Classes 158, and the stylish Class 450 'Desiro' in Train Sim World 2: West Coastway Line.

Rolling Stock
    This route features 3 Trains as Standard, you can tell from the Introduction what they are.
    Class 377 'Electrostar' (Southern)
    Ss_ca6442a0c0863ee44a20f5ad797d488e15915e7e.1920x1080.jpg
    Class 158 'Express Sprinter' (GWR)
    GWR_158956_02.jpg
    Class 450 'Desiro' (SWT)
    450112_London_Waterloo.jpg
    Pre-existing DLCs:
    Class 313.

The Class 313 would become a DLC which can be bought with both ECW and this route. As it is a key part of the route.

Potential DLCs:
    Class 150 'Sprinter' (GWR)*

Operates GWR Services alongside the 158. See Next section for some more details.
    Class 700 (Thameslink)
    If the licensing barrier is ever removed. Would also work with BML and SEHS.

Layers (IN)
    *Class 150 (West Cornwall Local, potentially)
    I have an asterisk next to this on purpose.
    As we don't yet know this, however there is a very good chance the Class 150 will come with Rivet's West Cornwall Local route, considering the era and the line.
    If it does come with that route it could layer here (albeit the GWR Livery would need to be added) for some services between Portsmouth & Southampton.

Note: on today's roadmap stream (the first rush hour one) the Class 150 for West Cornwall was confirmed. So if it were on this route it would use this option.
    Class 387 (Gatwick Express) (Brighton Mainline, Rush Hour)
    Layers in from Brighton Mainline (Rush Hour) to add a few AI Services at Brighton, just to brighten the place up a little.

Class 166 (GWR) (Great Western Express)
    Adds Services (AI or not) between Portsmouth & Southampton

Class 66 (East Coastway)

Layers (OUT)

The Class 158 could possibly layer on West Cornwall - not too sure though (with livery backdated)

The Class 450 could layer onto Brighton Mainline as AI in the Clapham Junction area. The class 450 could also potentially be layered into Reading on Great Western Express to add some AI there, potential for the GWE Preservation(?)

The Route itself
    SR = Southern Rail
    TL = Thameslink
    GWR = Great Western Railway
    GX = Gatwick Express
    SWT = South West Trains

* = AI Services towards London only.

Stations
    mi = miles | ch = chains
    1 chain = 22 yards, if that's your preferred measurement.

Distances from Brighton. Distances go to Portsmouth Harbour.

Brighton - Portsmouth - 45mi 36ch

Brighton (SR, GWR, TL*, GX*) - 0mi
    0ch
    Hove (SR, GWR, TL) - 1mi 35ch

Aldrington (SR) - 1mi 74ch
    Portslade (SR, GWR, TL) - 2mi 73ch
    Fishersgate (SR) - 3mi 47ch
    Southwick (SR) - 4mi 30ch
    Shoreham-by-sea (SR, GWR, TL) - 5mi 69ch
    Lancing (SR, TL) - 8mi 19ch
    East Worthing (SR) - 9mi 55ch
    Worthing (SR, GWR, TL) - 10mi 46ch
    West Worthing (SR, TL) - 11mi 30ch
    Durrington-by-sea (SR, TL) - 12mi 13ch
    Goring-by-sea (SR, TL) - 13mi 7ch
    Angmering (SR, GWR, TL) - 15mi 44ch

(Littlehampton Branch)
    Littlehampton (SR, TL) - ~19mi

Ford (SR) - 19mi 55ch
    Barnham (SR, GWR) - 22mi 29ch

(Bognor Regis Branch)
    Bognor Regis - 25mi 75ch (from Brighton)

Chichester (SR, GWR) - 28mi 51ch
    Fishbourne (SR) - 30mi 12ch
    Bosham (SR) - 31mi 43ch
    Nutbourne (SR) - 33mi 14ch
    Southbourne (SR, GWR) - 34mi 16ch
    Emsworth (SR, GWR) - 35mi 50ch

Warblington (SR) - 36mi 66ch

(Joins PDL)

Havant (SR, GWR, SWT) - 37mi 41ch
    Bedhampton (SR, SWT) - 38mi 14ch

(Branches from West Coastway towards Portsmouth City Centre)
    Hilsea (SR, SWT)
    Fratton (SR, GWR, SWT)
    Portsmouth & Southsea (SR, GWR, SWT)
    Portsmouth Harbour (SR, GWR, SWT)

Bedhampton - Southampton - ~17 miles.

Bedhampton (SR, SWT)

(Line to Portsmouth Har. Diverges)

Cosham (SR, GWR, SWT)
    Portchester (SR, SWT)
    Fareham (SR, GWR, SWT)
    Swanwick (SR, SWT)
    Bursledon (SR, SWT)
    Hamble (SR, SWT)
    Netley (SR, SWT)
    Sholing (SR, SWT)
    Woolston (SR, SWT)
    Bitterne (SR, SWT)
    St. Denys (SR, SWT)
    Southampton Central (SR, GWR, SWT)

Entire Line: 62 Miles/39 Stations
    Max operating speed of 85mph.

Services

Southern
    Southern: Mainline

• 2tph London Victoria (Hove) - Littlehampton (Calling at; Portslade, Shoreham-by-Sea, Lancing (1tph), Worthing, West Worthing, Durrington-on-Sea, Goring-by-Sea, Angmering) (Class 377)
    • 1tph London Victoria (Barnham) - Southampton (Calling at Barnham, Chichester, Southbourne, Emsworth, Havant, Cosham, Portchester, Fareham, Swanwick) (Class 377) (Driveable)
    • 1tph Victoria (Barnham) -Portsmouth Harbour (Calling at; Barnham, Chichester, Havant, Fratton) (Class 377) (Driveable or AI only)
    • 2tph London Victoria (Barnham) - Bognor Regis (Calling at; Ford & Barnham) (Class 377)
    Southern: Coastway
    (Note: as the 313 is a DLC, the 377 could operate these services for non-owners)

• 2tph Brighton - Hove (Class 313)
    • 2tph Brighton - West Worthing (All intermittent stations) (Class 313)
    • 1tph Brighton - Southampton Cent. (Calling at; Hove, Portslade, Southwick, Shoreham-by-Sea, Lancing, Worthing, West Worthing, Durrington-on-Sea, Goring-by-Sea, Angmering, Ford, Barnham, Chichester, Emsworth, Havant, Cosham, Fareham, Swanwick) (Class 377)
    • 1tph Brighton - Portsmouth Harbour (Calling at; Hove, Portslade, Southwick, Shoreham-by-Sea, Lancing, Worthing, Angmering, Barnham, Chichester, Southbourne, Emsworth, Havant, Fratton, Portsmouth & Southsea) (Class 377 & Class 313)
    • 1tph Littlehampton - Portsmouth & SS (Calling at; Ford, Barnham, Chichester, Fishbourne, Bosham, Nutbourne, Southbourne, Emsworth, Warblington, Havant, Bedhampton, Hilsea, Fratton) (Class 313)
    • 1tph Littlehampton - Bognor Regis (Calling at; Ford and Barnham) (Class 313)
    • 1tph Bognor Regis - Barnham (Shuttle - no calling points) (Class 313)
    Great Western Railway
    • 1tph Cardiff Central (Southampton) - Portsmouth Harbour (Calling at; Fareham, Cosham, Fratton, Portsmouth & SS) (Class 158, Class 150, Class 166)
    • ?tpd (not sure if I believe this) Brighton - Great Malvern/Bristol (Southampton) (Calling at; Hove, Shoreham-by-Sea, Worthing, Barnham, Chichester, Havant, Cosham, Fareham) (Class 158, Class 150, Class 156)
    South West Trains
    • 1tph Waterloo (Fareham) - Portsmouth Harbour (via Winchester) (Calling at; Portchester, Cosham, Hilsea, Fratton, Portsmouth & Southsea) (Class 450)
    • 2tph Waterloo (Havant) - Portsmouth Harbour (all stations - 1tph skips Hilsea & Bedhampton) (Class 450)
    • 1tph Fratton - Southampton Central (Calling all stations) (Class 450)
    Thameslink (DLC Only services)
    • Peak hour services to Littlehampton (Stations on station list, see 'TL' stations, excluding Brighton, turns north before there) (Class 700 DLC)

Quick Recap:
    Included Rolling Stock: Class 377, Class 450, Class 158.
    Layers (In): Class 166 (GWE), Class 387 (BML), Class 150 (potentially)
    Potential DLC: Class 700, Class 150
    Pre-existing DLC: Class 313

The route has 39 Stations across 62 Miles, Commuter focus.
    'Rapid Transit' style operation? You could call the Brighton area similar but generally no.
    Commuter? Yes, basically the entire line.
    High-Speed? You can get 85mph (without speeding) so kind off. No Intercity however.
    Freight? Not that I'm aware of. Refer to replies.

Connections.
    This route connects to Brighton Mainline and East Coastway at Brighton - and indirectly connects to the Isle of Wight route. See this suggestion of mine for the Brighton part; https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/route-linking.40393/

As for Portsmouth - Ryde connection, the Hovercraft goes between Portsmouth and Southsea & Ryde Esplanade (it's a bit more complicated than that but those stations are the connection points)

So I propose one of those green markers at the exit (in the case of Southsea) or the Car Park (or exit to the buses) at Ryde Esplanade. And you could have similar things at Portsmouth Harbour & Ryde Pier Head.

This route could also link up with the highly requested Portsmouth Direct Line, if it's ever made.

Final Words
    I have made this route to be set in 2016 - a year after GWR rebranded and a year before SWR took over the South Western network.
    So why this? Well, so far we haven't got any SWR content (in TS) but we have got SWT. Best play it safe.

As for the route, as I say earlier, it completes the lines out of Brighton, and it would give the upcoming Class 313 more usage and value for money.

This would also be the first UK route (that I'm aware of) that has 3 operators in game. Passenger operators, that is.
    Plus 62 miles is a good length, and it's a full route.
    Thanks for reading.
    And please, drop a reply and let me know why you do - or don't - like the idea of this route. I appreciate feedback, positive or negative, as it helps me understand what people like to see, and shows me what I have to change/do better. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 22
  2. trainsimplayer

*should add, if there happens to be any freight (I can't find any so I'm led to believe there isn't) any info would be highly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

This is my local line , and yes there is some freight , but only towards Portsmouth is where I’ve ever seen it . This route has been suggested a lot lately so DTG might want to consider this

• Like Like x 2
  4. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Another thing , are the stations written in bold stations which all trains stop at ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. trainsimplayer

The bold stations are termini or where GWR serve, or where there are 3 or more operators. I decided to do it this way as GWR skips a lot of stations so it is simpler and highlights key stations you'd be stopping at.

• Like Like x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Another South Coast Electric Route and one benefit of this is that BML gets to operate an entire 1hr 46 littlehampton London Victoria service provided the link is done at Brighton Station for both routes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. csxfan#8403

csxfan#8403 Active Member

There's plenty of freight. Container trains for the docks at Southampton, oil and ballast trains etc.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. trainsimplayer

Just touched the original post up a little.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time for a detailed post, having WCW would really start to make the TSW 2 universe in SE England feel alive. This route has a lot of great potential for increased services and variety linking nicely with ECW and BML.

If WCW was to include Portsmouth and Southampton, you'd also drive 4-car 377 portions to London Victoria (which in reality join up to 4/8-car services from Bognor - also on WCW - at Horsham).

On Brighton Mainline, these Southampton/Portsmouth/Bognor origin services turn off at Three Bridges (just to the south of Gatwick Airport), so effectively you'd have most of the route except between Crawley and Arundel (on the Arun Valley Line).

• Like Like x 3
  10. cloudyskies21

Was at Portsmouth Harbour and Portsmouth & Southsea today, some extra pics of the WCW route showing the variety of possible rolling stock and even potential South Western DLC options etc. IMG_20210628_115944.jpg IMG_20210628_151006.jpg IMG_20210628_151803.jpg IMG_20210628_120426.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. trainsimplayer

• Like Like x 3
  12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent pictures and of these trains Class 165 can provide services on GWML Reading to Paddington route. If you own ECW and Class 313 then it can give services to ECW and WCW. WCW is an abbreviation of West Coast way

• Like Like x 2
  13. cloudyskies21

Cheers both.

14. trainsimplayer

Well blow me over with a feather this actually had more 'yes' votes in the poll than the WCML South suggestion of mine, which at the end of the day is part of the highly-requested WCML (albeit WCW is well-requested itself)

• Like Like x 3
  15. cloudyskies21

Indeed, it shows that there is strong interest in this route. Appreciate the route/trains are not everyone's cup of tea which is fair enough, but hopefully at least DTG can at least think about WCW in the future - taking into account the also high popularity/anticipation of BML.

• Like Like x 2
  16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

My first ever trainsim add-on was this route for the original MSTS and was a favourite thereafter. It would be good to see it in TSW, I am surprised it never appeared in TS1.

I think though, if they were to consider it, it might be best to wait awhile, I sense there would be some consternation if another modern Southern electric route was released as we have two already and the London to Brighton route being fairly imminent.

• Like Like x 3
  17. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

Maybe one day, but I think they should add some modern stuff from the midlands and the north first

• Like Like x 1
  18. jcalmann

jcalmann Member

I like this idea, and they have enough reason to make it now, its the only route out of Brighton that isn't in TSW now. Wtih the GWR services, there's one in the morning, portsmouth to Brighton. Then Brighton to Great Malvern. In the afternoon, its Great Malvern to Brighton and then Brighton to Bristol Temple Meads. On Sundays there used to be a quite frequent Brighton to Cardiff Central, but not sure if that runs anymore

• Like Like x 3
  19. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Just checked RTT and there's only one return a day on Sundays for GW from Brighton and that's from BTM and return

• Like Like x 4