PC Are Wsr Sessions Drivable On Time?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Jun 5, 2018.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

So far, I have only tried the first two sessions for the 09 in WSR. In my opinion, neither one can be completed on time if the 09 tutorial's instructions are followed.
    That tutorial (as well as some of the scenarios for the 09) teaches that the indicator lights switch in the cab must be turned on and that the appropriate number of indicator lights must be turned on before moving the engine, the latter requiring the driver to rise, exit the cab, turn on each indicator light individually (the front two for these two sessions, since the engine is pulling coaches), return to the cab, and sit down before moving.
    At the start of each of these two sessions, "Empty Stock Move to Bishop Lydead" and "Bishop Lydead to Minead", the driver is seated and neither the indicator light switch in the cab nor the two front indicator lights have been turned on. By the time the driver completes these actions, arriving at the session's final destination on time is impossible.
    In each session, by the way, another "driver" is present in the cab when it begins -- he or she should be fired for not setting up the engine correctly! This is a situation up with which we should not have to put!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Union rules Im afraid... ill be in the drivers lounge having a tea if you need me ;)

Sorry couldnt resist. I have no idea regarding your question. I just potter along very much as i please. Sometimes even stopping to get down to have a look around at bridges etc..

3. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Even if you depart on time it's not possible to drive the locomotive realistically and remain on time, especially when traveling from Bishops Lydiard towards Minehead. In reality the maximum current should only exceed 600 amps for very brief periods. Some of the gradients are 1 in 85/90 and are just too steep for the Class 09 to climb with a train at anything close to 25mph; at times I have had to reduce the speed to single figures to keep the amperage to an acceptable level.

4. SimonM719

SimonM719 Member

Yeah its not possible to keep on time, just potter around and enjoy the scenary ;)

5. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

I have yet to stay on time, and I agree that with the current scenario parameters it's not possible-- this is the first instance of TSW acting like the straight-jacket rigidity of early Career Mode scenarios in RW2 which I terribly dislike (and the reason I don't use 'Career Mode' in TS20XX ever). At least in GWE and RT you are given a bit of wiggle-room. I wonder if it's worth making a suggestion to the devs; maybe they can ease the timings a bit?

6. LastTrainToClarksville

Misery does indeed love company; thanks for the reassuring words, folks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Yup, it is overly tight for sure. Even with Class 47 schedule is so tight you are forced to drive it like an Electrostar in the rush hour, rather than half-alive loco on a heritage line where everyone's most important objective is to just enjoy the ride.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I did not manage to drivie on time, not even when drving a bit indedecent and using a lot of power. Maybe we should ignore the time table until we can create our own services/scenarios

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Tried to find out what you need to do to be on time.

upload_2018-6-6_23-52-12.png

Basically this:

- Depart at full throttle (that's some 7500 amps for ya)
    - Brake into platforms at 70-100% application
    - Brake into speed limits as hard and late as humanely possible
    - Fiddle with levers all the time to be glued to the speed limits

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally not sure this thing is supposed to be operated like that
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Things like this are so basic and simple to get right. It really makes you wonder if they even bothered to test the scenarios, or even look an actual WSR timetable.

They have given 8mins between Dunster and Blue Anchor, if you look at an actual WSR 'diesel gala' timetable they allow 13mins. TSW gives 5mins from Doniford to Williton, yet the real WSR 'diesel gala' timetable allows 10mins. On top of that, the Class 09 can't even reach 25mph at many points on the line, so there really is no chance of keeping time.

• Like Like x 9
  11. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

Nicely done Jef :)

12. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

I’m accused from time to time of being a ‘fan boy’ for DTG or ‘ not getting it’.

Funnily enough I think this is the most egregious of all of the current issues, the winner of the DTG Palm Slap award. Either this wasn’t tested to ANY level or the team think they are working on a Train Race Game rather than a Train Simulator.

Forget bugs and missing editors if this is the development teams idea of a real life simulation scenario all is lost. Perhaps the next big ‘reveal’ will be the addition of machine guns to the DMUs and cannon to the Western Hydraulics?

upload_2018-6-7_12-43-46.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I think, apart from the time table there also is an issue with the scoring system. At the GWE route you can be in time if you are up to 2-3 minutes late, For WSR sometimes the actual time shows you hit the correct minutes and you are not timely. Also, if you arrive early you will be punished.

14. LastTrainToClarksville

Sounds like a good idea -- pottering along, that is. Thanks.