Pacific Surfliner: Los Angeles-san Diego

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MetrolinkF125#916, Jul 1, 2021.

1. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

So why not another route set in California? Instead of the northern region of the Golden State, this time, we're heading south, to Los Angeles and San Diego. In my opinion this is a perfect route for DTG to make when they can build 100+ mile routes (ok I admit my opinion may be a bit biased since it's my local route). I mean, they already made it for TS classic, so why not add it to the ever growing library of TSW routes? So, without further ado, let's take a look at what this amazing route has to offer.
    The Route
    This busy Amtrak corridor begins in the heart of the city of Los Angeles at Union Station, and travels south a whopping 128 miles, all the way down to San Diego, paralleling the 5 highway for most of the route. Fun fact: this is Amtrak's third busiest route, only exceeded by the NEC. It carries over 2.8 million passengers a year! In some places, the tracks are located 100 feet from the ocean since it runs along the Pacific Coast. Trains on this route stop at 10 stations: Fullerton, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Irvine, San Juan Capistrano, San Clemente Pier (not all trains stop here), Oceanside, Solana Beach, Old Town Transit Center, and finally San Diego-Santa Fe Depot. Here is a map of the route:
    [​IMG]
    The route also goes north all the way to San Luis Obispo, but the whole line from LA-San Luis is 222 miles long, and the entire corridor from SLO-SD is a whopping 350 miles long! Since the northern portion of the route is almost twice as long as the southern bit, DTG might opt for the route south of LA. Anyways they might still have the research material for the TS classic version of the route, so that's another reason why DTG might choose it over the northern bit.

Other railroads, both passenger and freight, also operate on the Pacific Surfliner. BNSF operates freight services between it's rail yards in Commerce and Oceanside. Metrolink's Orange County, 91/Perris Valley, and Inland Empire Orange County lines run alongside Amtrak and BNSF trains. COASTER trains run between Oceanside and San Diego. In addition, Amtrak runs its Southwest Chief and Texas Eagle trains through a portion of this route before diverging out towards Chicago and New Orleans. Ok, enough about the route, what about the trains?

The Rolling Stock
    A variety of trains can be seen running along this route, hurrying commuters or hauling freight from LA to SD. But the "base" trains that form the backbone of the Pacific Surfliner services are the EMD F59PHI, a high speed, 3,200hp diesel electric locomotive that was retired in 2018 and replaced by the SC-44 Charger, a modern, 4,400hp diesel electric locomotive manufactured by Siemens capable of 125mph operation. Depending on the year set, we would see one or the other.
    -Pacific Surfliner EMD F59PHI
    [​IMG]
    -Pacific Surfliner Siemens SC-44 Charger
    [​IMG]

Amtrak operates its Surfliner coaches on most of it's trains. But some of them have Amfleets and Horizon cars between a locomotive and an NPCU (Non Powered Control Unit). These NPCUs are basically F40PH units that had their engines and other interior components removed, and were configured for use as cab cars. The empty space in the middle became a luggage compartment, hence their nickname "cabbages."

-Amtrak NPCU adorning the special "Honoring Our Veterans" paint scheme (you can see the Horizon cars right behind it)
    [​IMG]

-Pacific Surfliner Cab Car (for those of you who don't know)
    [​IMG]

More Rolling Stock
    Other trains can be seen running alongside Pacific Surfliner trains. As stated before, Metrolink and COASTER commuter trains run along this line, as well as BNSF freight trains. BNSF trains run using typical American heavy freight motive power (GE ES44AC/DC/C4, GE AC4400CW, GE C44-9W, GE ET44C4, EMD SD70ACe) for the long heavy freight trains and the old but reliable Geeps for locals (EMD GP38-2/40-2, EMD GP50, EMD GP60/60M, and EMD SD40-2s also operate on the Surfliner). Metrolink operates its trains using EMD F125 and MP36PH-3C locomotives (as of early 2020, when the F59PH/PHI locos were retired) and a mix of Bombardier and Hyundai Rotem cars. COASTER trains use EMD F59PHI and F40PH-2C locos (soon to be replaced by Chargers) and Bombardier coaches. Since Amtrak runs long distance trains through a portion of this route before diverging off, GE P42DCs and Superliners can also be seen along this line.

-Ur average BNSF freight train
    [​IMG]
    -Ur average BNSF local
    [​IMG]
    -Ur average Metrolink train (with an F125, MP36s are also seen)
    [​IMG]
    -Ur average COASTER train
    [​IMG]
    -Ur average Amtrak long distance train
    [​IMG]

Note: these pictures do not show the trains running on the Surfliner because I couldn't find any that have the trains on the route, but they are seen running on the line IRL.

Possible DLCs
    It would be really nice to see Metrolink and COASTER trains in TSW2. Unfortunately, we might never see them in the game due to licensing issues. What we could see though, is something similar to the two DLCs for the TS classic route, which is just a simple loco and passengers cars. No decals. No logos. Unbranded. I don't think many people would want that, but the livery designer can solve that problem.

*Modders on PC might also reskin the existing Caltrain MP36 dlc and its Bombardiers into a Metrolink scheme, and they might also make a scenario utilizing it. The Caltrain F40 (or the MBTA F40 coming with Rush Hour) could be painted into a COASTER paint scheme, so could the Bombardiers.

Anyways, if the route is set pre-2018, when the F59PHIs were still running, we could see an SC-44 Charger dlc. Since it would be unrealistic to see both locos running together, I think it would be best to make two different timetables, kinda like what happened with the Diesel Legends pack. One for the F59PHI and another for the SC-44. The timetables won't really be that different though, since the two locos would run the same services.

Another potential dlc could be an Amtrak NPCU (one in the Honoring our Veterans livery would be awesome) and some horizon coaches. They could also reuse the NEC amfleets coming with Rush Hour and put them on these trains. These train sets would operate using either the F59PHI or SC-44 Charger, and would be driveable on both timetables for owners of the Charger dlc.

Again, due to licensing issues, BNSF might not be represented on this route (if it gets made). But if a third party decides to make a BNSF route like with TS2021, then the trains could layer onto this route, adding freight services.

Conclusion
    I would love to see the Pacific Surfliner in TSW. It's the perfect route for DTG to make when they can make 100+ mile routes. It also has lots of potential, with Metrolink, COASTER, long distance Amtrak, and BNSF freight (the other commuter railroads will have to come unbranded and UK customers won't get branded freight trains though). What are your thoughts? Post them below!

*None of the images shown here are mine, they all belong to their respective owners.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This is a sister game route that must be in TSW 2. For a bundle of TS21 Classic routes in TSW 2, it must be pacific Surfliner Koblenz Trier and Basel Freiburg.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

You know, I would have a quarter every time I see the word BNSF in a suggestion (with new, never before seen locos on TSW). Because we all know where that leads to in the end for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I have a very enjoyable ride on the Surfliner every time I travel from Chicago to San Diego to visit my dad. I think it would be fun to drive. I would also enjoy driving the Southwest Chief if a 2300 mile route becomes possible.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

DTG has licensing issues with BNSF, Coaster, and Metrolink, this would lead to a very watered down timetable with very minimal traffic on the route.

6. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Pacific Surfer