New To Train Simulator 21

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rhysrobinson336, Jul 4, 2021.

1. rhysrobinson336

rhysrobinson336 Member

I have recently got myself a gaming pc and also bought train sim 21 Deluxe from steam.
    My question is what kind of routes are available that may be of interest?
    I prefer a bit of everything when it comes to train driving but I am particularly keen on scenic routes a bit like the fife circle line and high speed routes such as LGV Méditerranée On TSW2.

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

In The Weardale and Teesdale Network in the '60s you can legitimately drive almost everything except high speed main line traffic and even that can appear on diversion. It's Diesel as it comes but steam fits nicely if you do start buying extra rolling stock and the route represents the sparse beauty of south-west Durham (where I live) very well.

For high speed I most enjoy driving the APT in WCML Over Shap. The P-Train is great fun while the route is detailed, interesting and varied with good trains in its own right- and scenic to boot.

Thinking outside Steam you might look for a key for TS2019 that came with Soldier Summit (pretty), Frankfurt High Speed (whoosh) and the newer Portsmouth Direct (there also*)- a good bundle. Getting old editions of TS is a good way of building up a cosmopolitan collection and in a couple of instances the only way to get routes that are otherwise unavailable now. Often cheap too- a quick Google shows TS2019 available for £5.45 as I type.

(*A little glib. PDL is good looking, perfectly pleasant to drive, probably the best London commuter route I have- I just don't get that excited about London commuter routes.)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  3. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Train Simulator 2021 and Trainsim World 2 are 2 different train simulators and you cannot run DLC from one to the other. Here is a video that I made of LGV Méditerranée in TS2021. LGV Rhone - Alps Mediterranee Route, Lyon To Marselle scenario TS 2021 - YouTube

4. JJTimothy

My reading of the OP was that he's well aware of the difference and been using TSW for a while but just bought TS. Could've misread but I thought he mentioned the LGV as a for instance owning nothing in TS that compares with it.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Along with the TSW2 version there is also the LGV Med in TS2021 - in two parts
    You need the base route
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/376938/Train_Simulator_LGV_Marseille__Avignon_Route_AddOn/
    then you can get the add-on
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/..._RhneAlpes__Mditerrane_Route_Extension_AddOn/
    There are a number of assets from the base route that are needed in the add-on

However there is not much "playability" in the route and you just set off and go like hell
    It has the one train, the TGV Duplex and a unique Cab signalling system TVM430
    A few UK trains, Class 92 and Class 395, can see the Signalling as it is used on HS1 London to Faversham
    So the route is stale without other trains.

The Berlin - Leipzig is a good route with a mix of freight and passenger trains
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/376943/Train_Simulator_Berlin__Leipzig_Route_AddOn/

If you like scenic routes try Switzerland
    The Gotthardbahn is very good
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/...ine_Classic_Erstfeld__Bellinzona_Route_AddOn/
    And the Albula line is one of the better narrow gauge routes
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/376966/Train_Simulator_Albula_Line_St_Moritz__Thusis_Route_AddOn/

Peter

6. JJTimothy

In fairness that's probably quite prototypical.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

On the real railway you would see other services at Lyon and Marseille
    And you would not have a big empty yard at Lyon Venissieux

The lack of other trains makes it uninspiring

8. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Isn't that the sad case of the majority of TS routes and scenarios though? Big empty sidings with maybe a loose consist or light engine here and there, why they don't fill them with low poly dummy models is beyond me, I'd sooner see static non driveable sets in sidings than nine barren sidings and 10 hoppers in the tenth.

A low poly model doesn't have to look like a chiselled edged Lego brick either, you can get quite a realistic looking exterior with proper bump mapping, just no need for any interiors or see-through windows or highly detailed modelled pipes and bolt heads.

• Like Like x 3
  9. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

If you are after scenic routes, then Swiss routes would be your best bet (Albula, Engadin, Arosa, Bernina, Gottardbahn etc). Dependso on what you're willing to drive and what types of trains.

Best commuter style routes are:
    London - Brighton
    Chatham & Medway Valley lines
    North London LIne
    Edinburgh - Glasgow
    South London Network

If long haul freight is more your thing:
    Sherman Hill
    Feather River Canyon

A mix of both:
    Hudson Line
    North Jersey Coast line
    Peninsula Corridor
    Miami - West Palm Beach

International (The japanese lines are commuter/interurban, the South African one offers a mix of Pax & Freight):
    Tadami Line
    Hidaka Line
    Pietermaritzburgh - Ladysmith
    Wakayama & Sakurai Lines