Minimum Route Length.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Trainiac, Jul 5, 2021.

?
  1. 10 miles

17.8%
  2. 20 miles

15.6%
  3. 30 miles

17.8%
  4. 40 miles

22.2%
  5. 50 miles +

26.7%
  1. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

What should be the minimum route length?

2. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Though it really does not matter to me if it was just in a yard shunting :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There should be no minimum length of route. The shortest option in the poll already counts out one route that has already been made. With every increasing choice it counts out many more interesting railways that could be made. At 50 miles (I’ll ignore the plus sign) that counts all but a couple of routes already made for TSW. Now let’s talk maximum width. There shouldn’t be one of those either. Next question…

• Like Like x 10
  4. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Really depends what type of route it is . A route like the LU is likely to be 20-30 miles , maybe a bit less . However , a high speed route like LGVM is likely to be a lot longer

• Like Like x 1
  5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Less single track routes

6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Don't mean to be unkind, but this is a meaningless poll, something that's all too common on the forum. Why would you want to set a minimum length? Are you concerned with mileage per dollar/pound/ euro? If so, maybe you should suggest that. And a minimum of 50+ (ie: greater than 50) has no meaning. Did you mean at least 50 miles? I'm sorry, but this is poppycock.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

Quite right. In my opinion one of the best routes for TS20xx was Doncaster Works. Endless fun shunting stuff around.

• Like Like x 2
  8. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

A route should be as long as it needs to for whatever route is being made. Whether DTG can program a real lengthy route because of time, technical difficulties, or space taken up on people hard drives is another matter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

The main thing about a route is not exactly the length... Must be interesting in some way to run it!
    So it must have interesting things to do during the ride. Not only going from the start to end point and vice versa.
    Could be stations stops as Peninsula Corridor and Rapid Transit,- plus other traffic around -, or like Sand Patch Grade about the grade - so the challenge of handling a heavy trains, plus other traffic around.

10. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I certainly would like that on the PS4

11. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

I think Time should be a better guide rather than Length. Bakerloo is only ~15 miles, but because you always stop at every station and rarely go over 45mph (often below 30) a full run can still take a decent amount of time. 15 miles of TGV or ICE non-stop express can be run in the blink of an eye.

Personally, I reckon most routes should not take more than 1-2 hours to run the full length in a normal service (so the occasional siding for freight, most stops for passenger). Although I'd be more willing to have a 2-3 hour scenario if the Save function worked reliably :D