Lack Of Passenger Interior Shading In Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jul 6, 2021.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why in TSW, we don't have proper shaders for the passenger interior area of trains? For those that don't know what this is, its basically shadows, such as shadows under seats. This isn't just limited to seats, but also areas which will naturally cast a shadow.

Why is this important? It makes things look a whole less flat and bland. Something which, unfortunately, is an issue in TSW.

I understand that there could be some performance issues with having shadows under every single seat, but surely you can have some sort of 'static' shadow, which would be better than no shadow at all?

Below highlights the issue. It looks like the seats aren't even connected to the interior.

TSW2_Josh_1623795102_00.jpg

For comparison, this is what is possible in TS1. Just look at how much more realistic and less flat looking the interior looks.

upload_2021-7-6_23-48-15.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, I see what you mean. Shadows would give a more realistic look. But, of course, shadows of any kind, interior or exterior, are just about the most expensive feature you can have, in terms of performance. I have a pretty good PC, but even I have to turn down shadows to medium in the settings.

3. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

I can't remember if the "interior" in TS is actually a part of the same train model? That can make a difference.

4. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I agree. Interiors look a wee bit bland without shadows, it’s less atmospheric.

5. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

This company is a piece of work. I never seen a company promote complete and utter regression as improvement. What's next? Just do away with 3d and make the game look like Mario Bros?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I really think it's all about performancem, especially on console. The TS interior is differently built than TSW Interior. When you go to the normal "outside" camera in TS and then look at the train model interior, it looks very very simplistic. But when you change in TS to the dedicated interior camera, then the model in your field of view is well done as in your screenshot. The TS "way" of coures makes it easier to do shadows and stuff without having performance issues. But you can't just walk into the interior. The TSW "way" let's you walk into there at every second of the game, you have a completely modelled interior, but without shadows. I would love to have a more realistic interior, but that would mean that the shadows are calculated every second you run this game --> performance issues.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

1CE669D2-FA73-4BCA-89D7-938E084F780B.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  8. zzw1983

• Like Like x 1
  9. zzw1983

they had the working shadows in TSW2020. The performance in TSW2 is actually worse for me than TSW2020.

10. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I understand the performance issues with live/real time shadows, however could we not have static shadows or just something to make it look darker under seats?

I hate how flat and 2D it looks and feels.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

They most likely use materials in UE that repeats and can be used multiple places, instead of a large unique baked texture. This helps on performance. But it doesn't look that good, especially if you want to keep that material simple and don't go crazy witht the nodes to have AO.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2