Speeds And Realism

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cattivo, Jul 6, 2021.

1. cattivo

cattivo Member

Hi
    Quick question as per the title. So far, when doing timetable runs, I've been aiming to keep my speed just under the maximum speed for the line. Doing a freight service on the Main-Spessart line (Gemunden - Aschaffenburg), the instructions were 'Drive this fast freight westbound'.

My question basically is whether, even though the locomotive seems to be able to comfortably reach the speeds indicated, would one really be driving a loaded freight train at those speeds, some of which were well into the 120+ km/h or would in reality such a train be going slower?

Just curious really. Are there any resources in-game about real world speeds for different freight train load outs?
    Apologies if this is a dumb question. :)

2. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

On MSB, in real life the trains operate with the PZB safety system enabled (you can choose to enable this if you wish, but definitely read up on it or watch tutorial videos first, as it's complicated at first). As a part of this, it dictates the max speed of a train depending on if it's passenger, freight or heavy freight. You have to note, that the max speeds for the trains are not always the same as the line speed.

In general, the max speeds are as follows.
    Passenger: 160km/hour
    Freight: 125 km/hour
    Heavy freight: 105 km/hour

With the safety systems enabled, the train will be stopped it it exceeds the maximum speed, depending on which type it is.

Definitely have a read of the MSB manual- it explains a lot of this stuff really clearly and it's really useful.

I hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  3. lukereynolds1

4. cattivo

cattivo Member

Thanks very much for the info and the link. Very much appreciated!

• Like Like x 2
  5. lukereynolds1

No problem at all. I started playing just over a year ago. There is so much to learn and I am always learning new things. I think that's what I like most about the game.

• Like Like x 2
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Just to add to this explanation.

Every piece of rolling stock (wagon, coach, locomotive) has a max speed, and the train max speed is determined by the rolling stock with the lowest speed limit.

The rule of thumb is that the speed limit of loaded freight wagons usually is 100km/h, unloaded 120 km/h. S-Bahn trains are usually 140 km/h max, RE/RB - 160 km/h, IC - 200km/h

In TSW, IIRC the only excption are the intermodal (container) wagons which can run at 120 km/h even if loaded.

20210510_233102.jpg This table below is printed on the side of every wagon, and you can use it to check the max speed, the one below simply tells you that the max speed is 120 km/h only if the load is 0t (empty), for all other loads the max speed is S (100km/h)
    20210510_232154.jpg

Note that everything I said is completely indipendent from PZB, which uses another unit (BrH) to determine wether it's a mode U or M train.

If you want more info on the subject I'd recommend reading this thread, and the source for the above images is attached to this post

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  7. lukereynolds1

Thank you, that's really interesting. I will look out for this in the future

• Like Like x 1
  8. cattivo

cattivo Member

Thanks both. Really helpful stuff!
    :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

Another thing is, that in general the german train network is really busy so often freight trains aren’t running with the maximum speed that is allowed that they don’t have to brake that hard. You might say that the faster the freight train is, the more green lights he had in the past few moments

• Like Like x 2
  10. Johan H

Johan H New Member

And to add one more thing that might be good to know if and when you start learning to drive with PZB is that in game... the signalling isn't perfect.
    I'm not trying to bash dovetail here, it's just so vast and kinda advanced so mistakes can easily happen.
    So if you run into a scenario where the signalling in game doesn't react as it should in reality, check to see if there is a bug with PZB before you start throwing your keyboard around and screaming "WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?! THAT WASN'T A ACTIVE MAGNET!!!!"
    Saves a lot of frustration knowing that you might be doing it right but the game don't.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Like FD1003 said, in TSW2 currently the only German freight wagons that can travel at 120 km/h in loaded configuration are the Sggmrss 6-axle intermodal wagons that come with RRO and HBL, all other wagons (even the Laaers car transport wagons) can only run at 100 km/h while loaded.

Sometimes there are internal rules for a transportation company that differ from RIV but then there will (afaik) be an extra printed line that gives speed limit and different load weights to achieve specific axle loads.

For example the Swedish freight railroad company Green Cargo has a postwagon called Lgss-y that can travel at 160 km/h in Sweden (but probably not on the continent). SS implies that it can travel at 120 km/h loaded but the internal rules of GC gives a max speed of 160 km/h and on the side of the wagon is extra information printed as:

GC C D
    160 27 27

• Like Like x 1
  12. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Doesn’t the 185.2 run at 140 KM/PH on hrr ?

13. cwf.green

The BR185.2 is not a freight wagon ;)

EDIT: What this means is that a BR185.2 will only travel at 140 km/h in light engine configuration or while carrying passenger wagons in TSW2, never with freight wagons.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  14. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Maybe he meant the AI trains? Those ignore all speed limits except the track speed IIRC

15. cwf.green

Oh, I see. Well yeah, DTG doesn't seem to have programmed realistic speeds for freight trains. I don't even know if commuter trains that are limited to 120 (BR143) or 140 (BR423) will exceed their Vmax if the track speed is above that.