Using Different Locos On Different Routes ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by anorak, Jul 1, 2021.

1. anorak

anorak Member

A naive question probably, but is it even possible in TSW ?

I wouldn't try run an American CSX on the Bakerloo line (it would get stuck in the tunnel), but could I use a class 08 BLU diesel on the Isle of Wight route for instance ?

Be gentle with me if it's a stupid question !

• Like Like x 1
  2. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

No it won't. With the help of Scenario Planner you can even drive the AC4400CW on Arosa Line if you want.

EDIT: I believe you cannot drive a whole train there because there's a limit on the train length.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. anorak

anorak Member

Wow, exactly the scenarion that I'd said jokingly !

Thanks very much for the link 7orenz, even better than I was hoping for.

• Like Like x 1
  5. anorak

anorak Member

Thanks again everyone for the heads up on the scenario planner.

• Like Like x 3
  6. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I have a habit of taking a train to Isle of Wight cranking it up to full power just to see how fast its going when it launches into the air at the other end anorak so you can run pretty much anything anywhere. The game doesn't check for loading gauge (or even track gauge) in Off the rails.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’ve given up on the planner as it’s too long winded.

TrainSim-Matt - would the game support a feature whereby when I open a route and can choose what train I would like to use it gives two “garages” effectively, one for route specific trains and then one for all trains you own to make it easier to try trains on different routes.

8. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

It seems to me that there is an option for using any engine on any route, even extending to placing an electric loco on a strictly diesel route such as Sand Patch & vice-versa. This strikes me as pretty silly, but with so many folks spending their time searching for donkeys, it's just a case of "anything goes".

9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Let me see that's the route that Sam featured on his personal YouTube channel Colonel Failure. One of those was M7 vs Class 101

The other one was a class 66 garden shed vs DB BR442 from the base route Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen and new Riesa-Dresden

• Like Like x 2
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

When there wasn’t that option lots of players were asking to be able to do it. It was almost a daily request here on the forum. People were complaining that they can drive what they liked on Train Simulator and that they wanted to do it on TSW too. That’s how it came about. The thing is with an option like this is that if you don’t want to use it the feature can be completely ignored. Unless you specifically click the “Off the Rails” checkbox you cannot drive trains other than what appear on the route, and the feature ceases to exist for you. I think there should be a box to tick that says “On no account have any fun playing this” a feature that was standard on TS if the impression I get from some people is anything to go by.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You may want to read the Scenario Planner Guide I created. This documents how it works and what you can and cannot do with it. Download it here:

https://www.hollandhiking.nl/trainsimulator

Navigate from there to the TSW page and find it between the other guides.

• Like Like x 2
  12. paul.pavlinovich

Sam does love messing around. I enjoy his streams. He's a funny bloke, especially on CF where he feels a bit more free to be himself.

Paul

13. paul.pavlinovich

lololololol "On no account have any fun playing this" lololololololol

Some people do seem to forget its just a game don't they...

• Like Like x 2
  14. anorak

anorak Member

I think giving us the option to use "off the rails" or not is the ideal solution for everyone.
    The extent to which routes and locos are mixed is entirely up to the user, whether it's similar stock or crazy combinations.

15. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I find it amusing that some TS players here sneer at TSW players for playing "an unrealistic arcade game" when, through all my years of experience with RailWorks, know very well that the gold standard of hardcore train simulation lies outside of the realm of DTG entirely (prolific Run8 enthusiasts will no doubt remind you of this). TS's physics are generally very poor, nearly as poor as Trainz, though the level of realism in TS is such a vast spectrum that it is possible to find the occasional well-built locomotives among the vast sea of standard quality rolling stock.

Frankly, I find the elitism to be at their loss, as I am able to find enjoyment in all different kinds and levels of train simulation throughout the years rather than tie myself specifically to one piece of software. Between TSW and Zusi3, I find myself pretty content.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  16. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Yes, ultimately, a simulator with AP (while you could attribute it to train and route knowledge/eXPerience) and wandering around for collectables and Donkeys is "just a game".
    I also have a flight sim and a truck sim which I like to 'have fun' with too :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. anorak

anorak Member

In most Sim sub-Genre many users feel they must loyally defend just their one program, it's very prevalent in my other interest, flight sims. The FS2020'ers do continuous battle against the XP11'ers, and vice versa, with the P3D'ers wading in against both. :)

It's good that Polygamy is allowed in Sims, being married to just one product would be so restricting as each has its strengths and weaknesses. (it can be bl**dy expensive though !)

• Like Like x 4
  18. LastTrainToClarksville

How about telling those who want to try this "Off the Rails" trick where to find that checkbox? I'm not likely to use it, but curiosity led me to look for it and I couldn't find it anywhere on the options menus.

19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

When you first set up a scenario, before adding any services, there’s a selection option at the bottom of the screen called “Set Scenario Details” - this brings up a pop-up screen with the Off the Rails checkbox on it.

20. LastTrainToClarksville

Thanks! No wonder I haven't noticed that -- I've only tried the "scenario editor" once and gave up in despair. Perhaps someday shunting will become possible? Even then, one's creation cannot be shared with anyone else, so what's the point? Just a would-be sop to frustrated creators?

• Like Like x 1
  21. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can share 'scenario' creations publicly.
    This is the whole point of the 'Livery Designer' too :)

I'd have to dive deep into reading material for you in order to verify/or explain how to do this though.

22. paul.pavlinovich

• Like Like x 1