Denver & Rio Grande Western's Soldier Summit: Provo-helper

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MetrolinkF125#916, Jul 8, 2021.

1. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Yes, another TS route I'd like to see in TSW2. This time we're heading to the state of Utah, which is also where the latest US route for TSW2 is located. I think this would be another great route for TSW because of its amazing scenery and iconic locomotives. I don't think DTG should struggle with D&RGW licensing since they already have a UP license, and the D&RGW now belongs to the Union Pacific. Since the line is currently owned by the UP, why not have this route set in the time of one of its predecessors?

The Route:
    The route would be set around the same time as Clinchfield, in the early 1980s before the Rio Grande took over the Southern Pacific (according to wikipedia, the SP name was chosen as the new identity as a result of the merger between the two railroads, so it looks like the SP took over the Rio Grande, but really the Rio Grande purchased the SP). It would represent the 69-mile line between Provo, Utah, and Helper, Utah. The route is basically a mountain pass through the Rocky Mountains, featuring spectacular scenery, tough grades, and a couple of horseshoe curves (known as the Gilluly loops). This line saw plenty of coal and manifest traffic (like CRR). The Rio Grande also operated its Rio Grande Zephyr passenger train, until Amtrak took over and renamed it the California Zephyr. Since this route would be set around the same time as the TS version, we would get to operate the first diesel-powered Amtrak train in TSW2. Speaking of trains, what rolling stock ran down the line?

The Trains:
    The Rio Grande owned a variety of locomotives, mostly EMDs (it also owned a few Alcos), and never purchased any of the big GEs during its years of operation (but it did own 6 GE 44-ton switchers, which were retired in 1964). I think the best locomotive to include with the route is the EMD SD40T-2 (aka the tunnel motor), since it's one of the most requested American locomotives by the community, because who doesn't want a tunnel motor in TSW? The Tunnel Motors are basically modified SD40-2s that are suited for operation in very hot and dry environments (in which the Rio Grande operated in), especially through mile long tunnels at 110 degress. It's a bit longer than the SD40, and the major differences are in the back of the loco since they have larger radiators compared to the SD40.

For a switcher, DTG could revive the EMD GP40-2 from NEC (either as a dlc or included in the route), and reskin it into D&RGW livery and make the necessary modifications.

The D&RGW operated many coal trains, so the hoppers from CRR could be reused (afaik it used the 3 bay version, I'm not sure about the 4 bay hopper). The manifest freight cars from the TS route could be made/reused in TSW2.

For Amtrak, we have the F40PH in Phase lll livery plus the Superliner coaches (also in Phase lll livery). It used to have SDP40Fs haul the long distance trains and the F40s handle short haul intercity services, but due to the many issues with the SDs, the F40s were put into long distance trains. This version of the F40 isn't the same as the one we have in the game (and will have), so DTG techincally can't reuse it. They could only reuse part of the design, but the rest would have to be modified. This is because Amtrak owned the original F40PH, not the -2/-3 rebuilds. This version, called the F40 "screamer" did not have a separate HEP generator as with the Caltrain/MBTA models. Instead, the main engine, the 16-cylinder turbocharged 645E3, did two jobs at once. It not only powered the tractions motors to move the loco, but it also powered the passenger cars at the same time. This meant that the loco had to run full throttle almost all the time, which resulted in heavy fuel consumption, reduced horsepower output when HEP mode was on, and lots of noise, hence the nickname "screamer." We could get one of two (or both) variants of the Amtrak F40, the one with ditch lights, and the original version without ditchlights (I believe the one with ditch lights is an F40PHR, or rebuilt model using spare parts from Amtrak's SDP40Fs).
    -A D&RGW Tunnel Motor
    [​IMG]
    -The Original Amtrak EMD F40PH
    [​IMG]
    -An Amtrak F40PHR
    [​IMG]

Possible Loco Add-Ons:
    I think there would be at least one dlc for the route, but two would be better (one switcher and one mainline loco). Possible dlcs could be:
    -EMD SW1200
    [​IMG]
    -EMD SD50
    [​IMG]
    -EMD GP40-2
    [​IMG]
    -EMD SD45
    [​IMG]
    -EMD GP60
    [​IMG]

Conclusion:
    I would love to see another American freight route set in the 80s (with some passenger action), especially the Rio Grande. We only have one vintage American route in the game, so why not make another one? What do you think? Should this route be added to the ever growing library of TSW2 routes?

• Like Like x 10
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea but one of the DLC locomotives the GP40-2 will come into the game as a reskin of CSX NEC Newark airport New Rochelle, NY GP40-2 into Rio Grande Paint. Something that DTG has been doing to American and Canadian routes

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I still would like a pre-1983 route with DRGW still in control of their passenger trains.

Also the GP60 is too new for the route. They were delivered in 1990 as wreck replacements for other DRGW locos, and only 3 ever existed.
    aaaaa.png

• Like Like x 4
  4. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Indeed, a Rio Grande in the 1980s would be a suitable era for this route (though maybe for another route than what's already done from TS1, just saying). And might just add this in, a little bit of SD7s/SD9s just for fun:
    drgw_5303_pueblo_co_15_oct_1982_000.jpg drgw_5309_coloradosprings_co_1984_000.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. Goldeneye48

Goldeneye48 New Member

Soldier Summit route (either in Rio Grande Era or modern UP Era) would be a very good companion to the Cane Creek Route that was just released.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Well they have been reusing content for pretty much every new route (except for those in which DTG can't reuse any trains, which is why only one is usually included like with CCL). SEHS had the 375, which was basically a 377 in SouthEastern livery, and HBL had no trains that could be considered new (the 112 is a 143 with smaller headlights and no marker lights), and Clinchfield had an SD40, which was modified from the existing model from SPG but reused the same sounds. So I'm pretty sure DTG will continue this trend, with one new train and one reused train (and cab car, if applicable) per route, unless there are no trains to reuse, then only one train gets made.

• Like Like x 2