Tehachapi Pass Signal Indications

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by pk766, Jul 9, 2021.

1. pk766

pk766 New Member

While driving the two main scenarios on Tehachapi the most common signal indication I get is Yellow over Yellow (approach diverging), even when approaching a block that is clear up to three blocks ahead with no actual diverging move. Should be Green (clear). The only section that gets Clear signals are on the 2MT sections when not approaching and interlocking or it's distant signal. Is this prototypical for the territory? Maybe a form of speed control? I was under the impression that UPRR uses GCOR signaling (with some added UP specific speed signals like approach clear 60, etc... and not NORAC speed signalling rules.

2. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

Are you talking about the single track section?

An example would be helpful for investigation, please.

3. pk766

pk766 New Member

Yes, the single track section.. that is the most favorable signals that I get.

4. pk766

pk766 New Member

It’s my understanding that when approaching Caliente for example, if I am routed from single main to single main and the two blocks (or more) are unoccupied, I should be getting Green over Ref (clear). I also noticed in the UP scenario that when I approached caliente that I got a restricting signal flashing red over red (northbound) while I should have received an advanced approach because there was a red signal at ilmon because of a southbound taking the siding, and there is an intermediate signal between caliente and ilmon