Timetable Editor Vs. Scenario Planner

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Cramnor, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

First of all, thanks a lot for Mondays stream! I really appreciate the behind the scenes action we got, it was very interesting to see how the timetable is created and implemented into the game. I would also support more of those streams, both on timetables but also other stuff like route building or train building.

From what I saw, the timetable editor is a really powerful tool, it is everything the scenario planner is not. While I can understand that some players don't want access to this sophisticated tool (from what I've seen on other threads), I am wondering if there would be a chance for us as the consumers to use this editor as well. I am aware that DTG has said that we will not get access to these editors, but I feel like the license argument doesn't really work for the timetable editor. I can see that route and train editors would be very problematic for obvious brand and license infringement reasons, but what harm could be possibly done with the timetable editor? Apart from that it would be a PC only thing probably, not really sure it would work on consoles.

I personally would love to work with this tool, it would add so much more value to TSW, especially to the loco DLCs, since it would be so much nicer and easier to use the locos on other routes. At the moment, I hold back with buying loco DLCs, since their use is quite limited at the moment. So far, I have not used the scenario planner as it is very user-unfriendly and the opposite of powerful - you are so limited in what you can do, so much time goes into this without resulting with anything very enjoyable and useful (for me personally). But with this editor, that would be the holy grail, I could see myself spending hours just in this tool, to get a nice custom timetable.

How are you thinking about this? Would you use the timetable editor?
    And maybe a bit more realistically, what features could be included in a scenario planner 2.0?

• Like Like x 9
  2. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

You make some valid points, but regarding scenario planner from what I've seen on here from people's views it really is personal preference. If anything, I use scenario planner by far the most on TSW 2 rather than timetable/service mode. It takes a lot of time and effort to create a scenario, but I find it rewarding - especially when you can have lots of AI traffic from different platforms (great for example on Paddington and Reading on Great Western). I'd personally be happier for an updated scenario planner 2.0 over an editor.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

While it would be nice, but without an accompanying route builder, I fail to really see the merit beyond maybe adding trains into existing timetables. I'd personally rather a much more advanced scenario planner where you can actually do something meaningful in it, starting with getting rid of static, preset paths, and allowing more refinement of departure times.

• Like Like x 6
  4. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Well if we had a timetable editor, all you would do with it is make services utlizing the same trains as with the original timetable. Or you could choose to use a different train/s from another route or loco dlc. Doesn't it kinda sound like a scenario planner 4.0? I personally would rather see a more advanced, refined, and more functional version of the scenario planner. If we could customize consists (off the rails mode could probably enable us to couple a Talent 2 to an AC4400CW), the path a train is taking, departure times (currently they only end in either 5 or 0), and the start/end platforms (instead of only using platforms 3, 5, 7, and 11 of Munchen Hbf all the time), the scenario planner would be a much more powerful, and therefore enjoyable, tool to work with. I would also like to be able to substitute a train for another service, basically replacing the train that is supposed to run a certain service with a different one. A player could then choose to turn this substitution on or off depending on their preference.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Cramnor

But this tool would allow exactly that, no predefined paths, you could set everything yourself :) and you could chose whatever start time and train you want

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cramnor

I agree, that would be an important thing to have. With the timetable editor, we would have easy access to that, I'm not sure there will ever be another way to allow for the same with an in-game editor :/

• Like Like x 1
  7. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I have always wanted a timetable editor where I could add a player train to an existing timetable. It would create the ultimate scenario planner with an entire 24 hour schedule of AI already built in.

The gameplay possibilities would be endless and, with dynamic dispatching, every run would be different depending on how you drive it.

I suspect that the dispatching software might not be able to handle this at the moment. I have been putting CSX traffic on Clinchfield with Scenario planner and I routinely come up with stand offs at single track sections, something I have yet to encounter by trying to create chaos with an existing timetable.

So, I have a wish list of dispatcher improvements I would like to see, but that is perhaps a subject for another thread ….

In the meantime, I will state my strong preference for being able to add a player train with the loco and consist of your choice to an existing timetable; I am already imagining the fun I could have with the DB 101!

• Like Like x 5
  8. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

I'd love a timetable editor, if its not as limited (like in service numbers) as the scenarioeditor.
    But with a Timetable editor that allows you to create new timetables, you could do much more, like creating real timetables with all services existing irl and extra shunting, or modern timetables for older routes or old timetables for newer routes.
    Rapid Transit could have much more service variety, like ICE, RE and Freight services. Imagine if you could make use of the Big yards in munic...:love:

The scenariodesigner needs to be improoved, but why dont make use of one of the biggest advantage of TSW compared to TS, and make a whole new timetable, instead of a single run as scenario.
    Of coure sharing would only be possible on PC, as Long as it isnt officially implemented.
    And to bring the timetable editor in its entirety as it was shown on the stream on consoles could be quite difficult.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  9. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Having a timetable editor would be great IMO. First thing I'd do is add missing ICE 3 services to HRR and RRO, and IC (BR 101) services to RRO and HMA, including some shunting with IC coaches by the BR 363 to get the 101 to the other side of the train.

I'd also add a few more interesting freight services (with pickups along the way like on RSN for example) and BR 363 and 204 services to routes where possible. I'd also add a few services where you haul a few locos and empty rolling stock (though that might require a consist editor aswell).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would love to see a timetable editor/planner. It would be great to make a proper diesel gala for the WSR based on a real working timetable and then hanging out at one of the stations watching the action. Also, for example, to be able to create a more realistic 24 hour timetable for NTP where you could have things like 3 car class 101's and class 31's on some of the loco hauled services and stopping services from Manchester to Stalybridge.

I imagine though, it would be quite a complicated thing to use but I am sure plenty would be able to get to grips with it.

• Like Like x 7
  11. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

You just need a few to get good at it and a way to share, and all the players will benefit massively, being able to choose a timetable that fits them best (i.e. one with more freighr, or one that places a heavy focus on the commuter services).

I really think it could be great, and as soon as I get an idea of how it can be adapted for player use I'll probably make a dedicated suggestion for it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

It would be great with scenario planner. Just having a function like, iet's say
    Start train at 12 pm at
    Köln HBf to Düren and return at 1 PM from Düren
    Köln Hansaring to Köln Hbf and return at 12:20 from Köln Hbf to Düren
    Horrem to Köln Hbf and return 12:40 from Köln Hbf to Düren
    Düren to Köln Hbf and return 13:00 from Köln to Düren
    Merzenich to Düren and return 12;20 from Düren to Köln
    Horrem to Düren and return 12:40 from Düren ro Köln

So with defining 6 trains you could actually fill a full 24 hours S-Bahn service, and you would have a constant AI moved S-Bahn between Köln and Düren while you can think about what should happen in your scenario elsewise...just for an example, and this isn't even the whole mighty force of it.

13. theorganist

I would certainly give it a go.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

The current timetabling DTG uses takes many simulated runs to find all the trouble spots taking a good number of hours to do all the number crunching. How would this work in game for the user? I think it's a nice idea, but with the current tech the developers have surely it's not possible to place into public hands. That was one of the big take-home's I got from the stream anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Cramnor

That's a fair point I was worried about as well. But then, the very few times I used the Scenario Planner in the beginning, debugging it drove me nuts, since you had to go and drive to see if things work, to realize after an hour that it didn't... Seems like this tool has a quicker and nicer way for this, although the created situations will be much more complex as well.

16. theorganist

The TS1 scenario editor can be the same though, although I am sure not as intended. You can make a fairly simple scenario which should maybe take an hour but end up spending all afternoon on it as the dispatcher has thrown a fit or decides the best route from A to C is via T and Z rather then C!