Thoughts On Cane Creek

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blartthaniel42, Jul 9, 2021.

?
  1. Amazing dlc

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. It's pretty good

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. It's ok

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. There are too many problems

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Why does this exist?

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Not interested

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Well Cane Creek was released and I guess I just wanted to share some thoughts on what I think about the route and what it has to offer. (Note: I own on pc and review is based on it)

The Route:
    [​IMG]

Needless to say, this route is a branch line. This line only sees a handful of trains per week. So obviously the main focus of the route was the scenery over busy commuter traffic. I will be honest it's nice to see a route in the desert. I will say this route does look very good. The rocky cliffs lining the tracks looks nice. Although sometimes the mountains loading in might look jank. I think the collectables are pretty interesting, especially the little info boards that give facts about that area. The overall route is very long and slow, being around 25 mph for most of it. But I enjoy sitting back and watching the desert role by. There is also a section of mainline from Thompson to Brendal where you can hit 60 mph, but only for a short section.

Services/Scenarios:
    [​IMG]

Considering there are only a few trains that would travel up these lines, there are not many services. I'm particularly fine with it because it sticks to the prototype. However the 12 scenarios seem a little deceiving because considering most are just multiple parts of the same trains you drive in service mode. Free roam missions were added as well. These are interesting and act similar to Cumberland Switchback from SPG. You can do what ever you want and to end the mission, you park in a specific location. It's cool to see a concept like this return.

Locomotives:
    [​IMG]
    This is where this dlc falls apart a little. The only two good thing I have to say about the locomotives is that their exterior models look good and they are usable on Sand Patch Grade. I'm not too disappointed in the fact that it's the SD40-2 and AC4400CW again (although it would have been nice to see some SD70s or SD90s). The problem shows though when you realize that these models are based on the CSX ones from Sand Patch Grade. This means all the problems with those engines are carried over. The SD40-2 is fine for the most part. But the AC4400CW is almost unusable. They didn't fix the dynamic brakes. Couple that with the constant grade changes makes it really annoying to drive this route with the AC4400CW. They both still use the default horn noise and have the same engine audio as the CSX locos.

Rolling Stock:
    [​IMG]

Not much to say here. It's nice that they added more hopper cars, including the ridged side hopper car. It's also a little bit of a shame the don't have the real cars for the contaminated material and use the ballast cars from Peninsula Corridor.

Custom Livery:
    [​IMG]

The custom livery for the included locos and rolling stock is confusing and disappointing. To start, my AC4400CW won't work. Layers are showing up on other surfaces. As far as the SD40-2, there are somethings that I don't like. For example, the handrails and front plow/ anti-climber can't be painted. Also the number boards can't be layered over again. When it comes to the cover hopper cars, the still keep the DTG logo on the side. Just little annoying details that are hard to work around.

Final Thoughts:
    [​IMG]
    All in all, I do enjoy this route. I personally prefer the challenge of taking a heavy train over a grade. If you prefer a route that runs tightly scheduled passenger service, then this is probably not for you. Sure it's a little slow but very challenging. However, everything outside of the actual route is just disappointing. From the locomotives carrying over issues from the CSX models, to rolling stock being misrepresented, there was a lot that people were expecting and they just didn't deliver in those aspects. Feel free to add your thoughts!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I've bought it this morning and I've only done the first two scenarios (and no timetable services), so I've still got a lot to try out tonight.

I will edit this comment or write another one once I get a better idea of the route, but overall the biggest disappointment so far has been the scenery - I play on Series X - and a lot of objects pop into existence once very close to the player, everything from the background terrain to trees and bushes. I guess that's my fault for missing the PS4 preview stream, but I'm hopeful it will improve after RH because I'm on next gen. It's really strange, at least the centenary poles on Cathcart are not that distracting, but in terms of rendering distance it's worse than LGV.

The sounds are a pleasant surprise, there are obvious shortcomings, but overall I think it's better than SPG, mainly because of the brake squeal? (Not sure how to say it) and the track sound.

Of course the biggest shame are the physics (especially on the AC4400CW), which turn gradient changes and descent from a fun challenge to an annoying reminder that the Dynamic Brakes are broken.

Overall the route is nice, but in terms of value for money, attention to detail and realism is awful compared to CRR, thinking about a refund but I'd like to know the route more.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm just curious: why did you post this thread in the "Off Topic" section?

4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It's not about any platform in particular, it's not a suggestion, is not a technical report and finally it's not his creation to share on creation center.

5. Blartthaniel42

It’s just like FD1003 said, there really is no other place to put it

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is best to put general posts like this in one of the three platform specific forums because that’s where people are looking for threads, probably best in the platform you play in (because the versions are actually ever so slightly different). “Off Topic” is only for things not related to TSW and hardly anyone sees threads in this section because they don’t check it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

A review that doesn't indicate a particular platform is not as useful as one that does, even one as thoughtful as yours. Perhaps you could post which version you are using, or did I miss that.

8. Blartthaniel42

Sorry, I thought I put it in but I didn’t. Went back and updated it.

9. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I agree, but I think this is just something "we got used to" rather than the actual use for the platform specific forums, but I wasn't there when they decided to structure it like this so I can't say for sure

• Like Like x 1
  10. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

P-r-e-c-i-s-e-l-y!

• Like Like x 1
  11. brfan#9132

brfan#9132 Active Member

I don’t really collect US freight routes not a big fan so I don’t have this route I find US routes a little bit boring in my opinion but other people will have different options