Issue With Tpws When Departing Platform 5 At Lewes Station

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by J.T., Jul 9, 2021.

1. J.T.

J.T. Active Member

Every time I make my way back to Brighton from Platform 5 at Lewes station, I'm stopped by the TPWS. I mean when I came from Brighton, waited 10 minutes and continued driving in the opposite direction without reloading the game.

The semaphore gives a "Clear" signal, the speed is below 10 mph, yet automatic emergency braking occurs when the signal passes. This is strange because according to the manual BR Class 377/4 train in TSW2 doesn't even have the TPWS system installed!

Tried to go 5 mph, tried ask for permission from the traffic dispatcher but nothing helps.

Is it me doing something wrong or is it another of the many bugs in TSW2?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Hazarding a guess, is the opposite cab fully shut down? I had trouble with the hst on gwe when leaving aws on.

3. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I believe it may be because the signal is red from the Brighton perspective. I'd recommend disabling TWPS or the related systems and waiting until you clear Lewes to turn it back on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. J.T.

J.T. Active Member

Thanks for your hints! :)
    I checked it out. At the Lewes station, I keyed off all the security systems on the wall in the inactive cabin. Unfortunately, TPWS still implements emergency braking when the head of the train passes the semaphore giving the "clear" signal. The same thing happens when I save and reload a saved game.

Interestingly, there is no such problem at Seaford terminus!

Well that's not very realistic and means it's a bug in TSW2 not the way the signaling works. In that case, I will try to report it to DTG.

5. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

In the case of an Electrostar, there is a TPWS isolation switch that's located on the right-hand side of the cab, right below where you will find the Safety Systems Isolation Switch panel.
    If you push it forward, it should temporarily isolate TPWS (though I'm not sure for how long).
    This should allow you to drive over the grid with no problem. Go ahead and give it a try! :)

6. J.T.

J.T. Active Member

Thanks for this hint!

It seemed like a great solution. I was told that not always everything works in accordance with the regulations on the railway and that frequent faults are handled this way (then a disaster occurs, the train driver goes to jail and the people responsible for the system malfunctions stay safely in their comfy offices). So it would even be quite realistic :)

The switch works, although of course the opposite of what is described on the switch (turning it to the right switches TPWS to normal mode and left to temporary isloation mode).

It was indeed possible to pass the signal that caused emergency braking. Unfortunately, the "temporary isolation" of TPWS turned out to be temporary only in name. I drove the train with the safety system off all the way to Falmer where I had to manually turn it back on with the same switch. Since the switch is far on the right wall of the cabin, I can't pull it off right after passing the faulty samaphor without stopping the train. So I might as well disable this system with a key on the the Safety Systems Isolation Switch panel.

But perhaps it's better than emergency braking every time I leave Platform 5, or turning off the entire AWS.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  7. Perks390

Perks390 Well-Known Member

The other option is to use the Train Stop Override button on the TPWS panel.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. J.T.

J.T. Active Member

Thank you very much!
    This is the right solution !!!

The "Train Stop Override" button on the driver's desk prevents the TPWS from stopping the train!
    And it automatically turns off immediately after the first triggering by TPWS. So it allows me to depart from Platform 5 at Lewes without emergency braking and with working safety systems for the rest of the track.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2