Definitive Cane Creek Feedback Thread.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Well I could have found floating scenery in less than 30 mins and asked for a refund. But I actually like and enjoy the route. And with constructive feedback to Skyhook. With things such as the floating rocks, loud vehicle sounds, and vehicles imbedded in the roadway I am sure that they would go back and fixe those problems.

2. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I mean the floating scenery and highway noise are obvious bugs that i assume will be fixed with the first patch. Nothing compels anyone to buy DLC at launch- history has shown almost every game launched in recent memory has needed at least one patch- it's modern gaming, for better or worse. I'm old enough to remember having to send away for literal floppy disks to patch bugs- gotta say i don't miss it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

They said in the stream this week that there was an issue with the working crossing gates in Cane Creek since the tech to operate it was different then other routes and it did not work correctly yet. Will be corrected in an update.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Then perhaps don't buy dlc's on day 1. You don't have to you know.

5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, in my approach to routes, I have a kind of "triage" system in my mind. Frankly, I don't worry much about floating scenery, errant sounds, incorrect horns, missing fences, cosmetic errors on livery, lack of whistle boards or the color of ballast. These things may well be fixed promptly, but, either way they don't seriously affect my gameplay. What does raise my concern are things like non working crossing gates, dynamic brakes, DP controls, poor headlights, lack of ambient lighting and water that doesn't move, things that seriously detract from my enjoyment and gameplay. There are a number of these potentially game breaking problems on routes like SPG, CRR, PCR and now CCB. A number of these problems have been extant on these and other routes for many months and, since they're not on the Roadmap and are largely unacknowledged, the chances of them ever being fixed are slim to none. I realize that, by buying every DLC, I'm hardly encouraging DTG to fix things, but I will continue to do that because I love the game and want it to prosper. I also know that everyone has his or her particular triage system, and it will be different from mine. And, I will also hold DTG responsible for the 3rd party dlc's it publishes.
    As far as this route is concerned, it obviously has a number of minor bugs and a couple of major ones. This will not prevent me from buying the route when I get back to my computer, but I hope Skyhook and DTG will set a precedent by issuing fixes for all these problems within days and weeks rather than months and years.

• Like Like x 5
  6. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

That's super dee duper! I can lick my own eyelids!

7. zzw1983

Don't buy DLC on day one because DLC's on day 1 are guaranteed to be broken? This is a sound business practice in your world?

• Like Like x 3
  8. bluetiger#2496

bluetiger#2496 Member

I think that the point is that Cane Creek isn't any more broken than the average recent DLC. I would say, from the 7ish hours that I've played of it so far, that is about average in the bugs department. The bugs are mostly cosmetic or auditory, and do not stop gameplay. Hamburg Lubeck had some gameplay problems with PZB being largely broken and the wrong dostos. Clinchfield had the issue in the tutorial where the brake in the second engine was set wrong and many people got stuck trying to complete it. Arosa had a lot of physics bugs with the brakes and a timetable that just doesn't work. At least for me, those all seemed to need at least as much work, if not more, than Cane Creek.

All that being said, I'm very much enjoying Cane Creek. It's a US freight route, which is my primary interest, so I may be biased, but the scenery is amazing. The gameplay is about what I expected, and it's fun to drive big American diesels.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  9. tallboy7648

Hey your the one complaning about how the route sucks. DTG do have the tendency to publish things with issues. That's how it's usually been. All i am saying is make better decisions before buying something.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zzw1983

I literally said three words on the subject. LMAO

11. zzw1983

Fair enough. That may be the case. My question is, would you be this tolerant with any other product? A house? A Car? Food? If you bought a car and the brakes don't work, would you say "this cars brakes aren't any more broken than the average car"? Money is money. Whether it is 3 dollars or 30 thousand dollars. I don't subscribe to the concept of "the company is always right". The absolute borderline contempt and disrespect this company has for their customers is legendary.

• Like Like x 6
  12. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I played hours of this route already without issue, so it is not broken.
    Personally I did not see the floating rocks (though I know they exist) and if I would, that would not have damaged my experience with the route. The car noises are annoying but it is absolutely bearable until it is fixed.
    Nowadays you will barely find releases without bugs. Big developers have shown that in recent years, and their budget and time exceeds DTG (and their respective third party developers) by far. I would even argue Cane Creek in its release state is better playable than Cyberpunk was at release. Bad comparison of course, but I think it holds true to some extent.

Since all of your posts in this thread could easily be condensed into "mimimi", enlighten us - what is you point anyway? I am all for polished releases just as much as the next guy, but what are we to take away from your comments, other than that you are unhappy with your purchase? You clearly take every reply as a chance to go at peoples opinions for whatever reason.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  13. zzw1983

[removed by Protagonist - trolling]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2021
  14. bluetiger#2496

bluetiger#2496 Member

I think it comes down to expectations and what the dlc is worth to each individual. When I bought my house, it was older, and I assumed that it would have undisclosed problems. I've had to put a lot of money into the house since fixing problems as I find them, but that doesn't bother me since I expected it. Would I love for my house to be perfect? Of course. However, knowing that I was buying an old house and getting a good price for it, I accept the problems as a part of the deal. I buy day-old bread all of the time. I know it's getting stale when I buy it, and that doesn't bother me since I accept that when I buy it.

In terms of TSW, is it the best value for money in gaming? No, the dlc is quite expensive for what you get, and it feels like the price is staying the same while the amount of content is going down. On the other hand, if you want to simulate driving trains, in my opinion, this is clearly the best game on the market. If you want to drive trains digitally in this game, that is the cost. I spend more than half of my gaming time on TSW, and ~$30 every couple of months isn't a hardship for me. I bought Cane Creek day 1 assuming that it would have flaws since that is how most dlc here seems to come. Knowing that I love the theme, I've been quite happy with the route and willing to accept the bugs until they get fixed. I waited to buy Hamburg until it was fixed and on sale since it wasn't my interest and had some clear issues. Arosa I just got around to buying since I doubt that Rivet will ever fix the timetable, so it wasn't worth more that $20 to me with those issues.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Disintegration7

I think that's a good approach to this hobby.

Cane Creek isn't for everyone, but if you're into American freight, it's very worthwhile IMO.

• Like Like x 3
  16. tallboy7648

It seems that you are the one being incontinent. I was and others were just stating an opinion and your just bashing them as if they are bad

• Like Like x 2
  17. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Not likely that its realistic. Not right at the end of the line by the buffers. I operate IRL, and you would normally stop at the very first point that would get the job done, you wouldn't run right up to the very end of a head shunt unless you had to so you could clear a set of points behind you or get off a track circuit so a signalman could do things behind you. This is done for economy (less movement is less money) and safety through risk avoidance.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  18. paul.pavlinovich

You're correct there, although I don't really enjoy long freight runs I like Cane Creek because there is plenty of things to do. Looking forward to adding some off the rails action to spice it up more too. I think its worthwhile because its got some good game play and while a lot of the services and scenarios are really long there are gradient and curve induced challenges and you can always run at double the speed limit to make it quicker too. I'm happy I bought it.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  19. paul.pavlinovich

Seriously? Gunna have to try that!! Thank you :).

• Like Like x 1
  20. zzw1983

21. zzw1983

I never even made a comment claiming I got ripped off. I believe in this game. That's why I own every addon for it. I thought DTG would use this opportunity to change the direction they were going in with TS20xx. I was wrong. Same old company. If you're going to do something, do it right or not at all. Take the time and do it right. All DTG are doing is piling on more to their bug fixing workload.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I'm kind of hesitant of buying the route. The rocky scenery looks amazing, but there are quite a few negative remarks in the Steam reviews.

But what worries me the most is the scenery close to the track. From the screenshots it looks like there is barely any rocks or grass right alongside the tracks, so it's like a 10m wide lane of nothigness along the tracks. Looks pretty ugly, and then the track ballast also sticks out of the ground textures way too much. It would be much better if it blended in more.

What are your guys thoughts on this? Am I overreacting, or it's really that bad?

• Like Like x 1
  23. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

[removed by Protagonist - argumentative]

• Like Like x 5
  24. zzw1983

[removed by Protagonist - argumentative]

• Like Like x 1
  25. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

The track-side scenary is nothing to write home about. It‘s a somewhat poor representation of the real thing. But on the other hand, CRR is little better in this regard (outside of the recognisable areas like Dante and Elkhorn, that is). If you own CRR and you‘re happy with it‘s track-side scenery, you‘re probably fine with Cane Creek‘s. If you don‘t own CRR, I‘d advise you to watch a bit of a stream/video on it and judge for youself if it‘s fine for you.

Personally, I can live with it, but this‘ll be different for each and every person.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Dinosbacsi

I found CRR's trackside scenery to be really bad, but at least some mods made that better with new textures that look better and are less repeating. Though CRR had nothing else to look at with all the narrow valleys. At least on Cane Creek you can look at the distant rocks and I suppose it's better. I don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  27. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Do you and those like you deliberately go looking for "issues" or do you just happen to notice them? I'm seriously interested, since I almost never happen to notice "broken" or "bonked" problems reported by others -- perhaps I'm just concentrating too much on driving trains.

• Like Like x 5
  28. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I wish forum posters would take the minimal time and effort to identify routes by their full names rather than initials.

• Like Like x 2
  29. zzw1983

Yeah between that and the THREAD TITLE, I'm totally lost.

• Like Like x 1
  30. zzw1983

[removed by Protagonist - flaming]

• Like Like x 1
  31. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

I have now been driving it for 3-4 hours now and have not been able to see its shortcomings.
    But I do not sit and look for shortcomings either. Some here seem to aim only to see shortcomings

If 999 thing is good and 1 bad. it does not bother me
    Sound I knew it was like on the other routes. Of course i want better sound. But it not disaster the sound either.

I think it is a very good route this and i can recommend it. so cool to ride trains in the cool nature around the Colorado river
    One thing annoys me sometimes and that's the loud highway noise. So strange. It sound you are standing in the middle of a highway
    But luckily it's only sometimes it comes up

• Like Like x 8
  32. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with you Jörgen.

• Like Like x 3
  33. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Just finished the first 3 "batches" of scenarios (Yard to Yard, Potash and Uranium train) and my opinion has largely changed since this route released.

First I'll split up this DLC in two parts and I'll give them an overall score and then explain the rationale:

Route: 8/10
    Trains: 5/10

Route:
    Screenshot_20210711-210203_Gallery.jpg
    The route mostly got that 8/10 because of the section between Moab and Potash, that part of the track is truly stunning, its narrow and curvy nature negates the rendering distance related issues and highlights the amount of work and attention to detail Skyhook put in the route.

Sadly the quality of the scenery decreases as you get closer to the mainline, as the vast open fields make the rendering distance issue really obvious which kills immersion immensely. It's not really Skyhook's fault but it's still awful to look at nonetheless.

At first I really thought it was a bug and opened a thread under "Technical Reports" I'll show you the screenshot from that post
    Screenshot_20210709-175509_Twitch.jpg
    If you knew nothing about where this is located you might think it's a coastline on the ocean or something. It's really really bad, and very obvious, I'm on console BTW, I hope it's better on PC and will be better on next gen, but at least the terrain should be loaded much, MUCH earlier.

Another thing I haven't seen talked much but is very important IMO is the astonishingly bad level of detail of Interstate 191 which runs along the rail all the way from the main line to Potash, which is comprised of two sets of two-lane road, cars travelling at very low speeds (not much faster than the 25mph train), clipping through the road and losing speed suddenly, given the close proximity to the rail I would have thought more effort would go into that.

Next "landmark" which was done horribly is Canyonlands airport, which would be barely visible from "cab-level" but they decided to build a huge structure reminiscent of a control tower, which not only is nonexistent in real life, it also looks awful in-game
    Screenshot_20210709-181321_Twitch.jpg
    Those are relatively minor complaints compared to the terrain draw distance though

About the trains I won't say much, but they are mediocre at best, the AC4400 is barely usable when going towards Potash because for most of the journey you are using the broken dynamic brakes, and the lack the correct car for the uranium trains, and unprototypical consists is not great either.

The SD-40 is decent, but lacks some pretty important features like EOTD readouts in the cab [edit: can be activated], but at least everything works.

The scenarios went without any issue, the only odd thing was during the second part of the Uranium train the AI did do the last instructions for me, so I only had to get in the cab to end it, very clear instructions, nice examples of real word communications and show off everything you can do in timetable.

Overall very enjoyable route, even for someone that doesn't like slow freight running, although during the first 1/3 of the route from the main line is pretty boring and doesn't feel as detailed as the latter part.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  35. Dinosbacsi

Ouch, that's really bad. I believe it's better on PC though?

Really nice mod, will definitely download if I end up getting the route. Maybe I'll buy it in the next days to check it out. But the tracks sticking out from the terrain like a sore thumb still really annoys me.

• Like Like x 1
  36. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

You're not wrong about the trackside being bare, but if you look at photos of the Cane Creek railway it's very much like that.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  37. Disintegration7

Just FYI, the EOTD does actually work in the SD40-2, but you have to turn on the "radio/EOTD" fuse. No idea why it's off by default- it's the same way on Sandpatch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I swear I tried but didn't work, I'm sure I hit the wrong switch... apologies will correct my post

39. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I think someone mentioned missing EOTDs on trains (was also in the launch say stream I think), so that might be the issue too.

40. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Actually, that makes all the difference.

• Like Like x 2
  41. zzw1983

[removed by Protagonist - needlessly argumentative]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  42. zzw1983

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  43. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

cane creek patch v-12? dont sure where into the game it needs to go

44. Dinosbacsi

I suppose you're right, but there are still small rocks that could be modelled somewhat. And the track ballast blends in with the terrain better than it does in the game - which is something that they could really do better, the track ballast connecting to the ground is really ugly on all routes, despite being a game focusing on trains.

45. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

In the same folder/directory as all your purchased DLC. Should be here:
    \steamapps\common\Train Sim World 2\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Content\DLC

• Like Like x 1
  46. conniethunder

Is this a nod to DTG, or is it a genuine UP hopper serial code?
    Cane Creek DTG Hopper.jpg

47. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Alot of generic equipment in game use the DTGX markings.

The tank cars use it and Skyhook Games decided to use it for the Trinity hoppers instead of a real UP mark (Like CHTT, CMO, or UP).

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  48. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

thank you for the help

49. conniethunder

Now I've got to keep my eyes peeled for "Skyhook" or their logo!
    ...a nod back is only fair ;)

50. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Has there been any announcements on bug fixes? I’m interested reading this thread as it balances the sales pitch of the streams. I think I may come in on a sale with this as I’ve nearly finished spg and crr