Other 143 Afb Broken.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Fitz, Jun 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I have taking to driving the 143 on RSN alot lately as I find it nice a relaxing. Anyway after going back to the game since Hamburg to Lubeck released I now find that the AFB on the 143 is crazy. I have not bought the DLC but I have noticed the 143 behaves very differently since this DLC released.

On RSN when leaving a station I set the traction at the usual 100% and AFB at 40km/h, the 142 that accelerated rapidly up to about 55km/h before the power drops back down to suit a 40km/h cruise speed.
    This is on level track and has never done this before. It happens all the time now so I can't drive the 143 in any sort of realistic way any more.

To me now the 143 is completely broken and basically unusable. I don't know what patch or update broke it.

2. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

I was curious and did two test runs myself. One with only the cab car attached (some of the RBs on RSN use this config) and one with the loco on its own. I can only recreate your explained behaviour with the loco on its own. It overshoots to exactly 55km/h. With only the cab attached it overshoots slightly to about 44km/h.

This behaviour (in the config used by myself) is pretty much to be expected. In real life, by the way, you don’t use 100% of force all the time, especially when starting to move, you have to be very careful. The official loco manual is very vague on this and as I have no direct experience on any East German locos, I don’t know exact values. But, in this kind of configuration, when you are very light, you would not use 100% of force when accelerating below 40km/h. An overshoot would be expected, as the acceleration is getting too high, so that it takes too long for the switchgear to wind down.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It's hard for me to judge how realistic it is, but I really like this locomotive because of it. Requires proactive driving :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Same here, like it, because it is quirky:cool:

But also the AFB on modern locos are not what one might expect. The use is much more restricted and you don’t use it us much as you would in the sim.

5. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

It's just the the 143 never behaved this way before. If they modified it to be more realistic that so be it and I'm happy for it. I will try it with lower traction force settings to see how it behaves. and yes this did happen when I was hauling just the cab car. I have not yet tried a longer train.

6. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

There was a time when 70% was the default setting for the selector when I remember correctly. It was around the time I started with the game, so couple of years passed since then ;-)

I do it this way:
    0-5 km/h: 30%
    5-40 km/h: 50%
    40-70 km/h: 70%
    70+ km/h: gradually lowering to 5% the more you reach the desired top speed (120)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

The real 143 is rather complicated to drive:
    Screenshot 2021-06-09 115634.png
    Source

The highlighted bit tells you that you should only put the traction lever as high as needed for your service. If you notice your loco shooting off like a rocket, you should reduce the setting.

Furthermore, you're supposed to start the train using the Hilfssteuerung (can't remember what TSW calls it in English). It's right beside the traction lever. You use it to manually dial up taps until you're well rolling, then you select an AFB setting lower than the track speed, only at the end when you're already well underway should you put the AFB to track speed. That's what the operator's manual says, anyway.

I know that this does not directly relate to your question, but you could try following the real-world procedures and see how the loco behaves then.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  8. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Nice!

I just tried this in a 3-wagon Dosto RB service (BR143 pulling). Not sure if I did it correctly according to your instructions but when I departed the station I put AFB into on and then pressed CTRL + R to notch up. When starting I just notched up once or twice and then when the train had started rolling I notched up further to about 40 kN/FM. As I had gained some speed I moved AFB to track speed minus 10 km/h with the "force lever" at 70% to hold around 40 kN/FM.

Smooth start, no wheel slip, no traction lockout, decent (but comfortable) acceleration and no overshoot. Thanks! :)

I did notice the extreme sound isolation in the cab though... :|

9. Lamplight

That sounds correct. Good job! I haven't tried it myself yet, but your report sounds promising. I'm very glad that I could help out :D

And that is the reason why I haven't tried it out yet, unfortunately. As I said in a different thread, when I once stood besides a Br 143 for real, its fans were screaming my ears off. I can't imagine that they're a lot quieter in the cab. Here's hoping the rush hour 143 may be a bit louder, but I don't have much hope after the quiet 112.

10. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Yep, they remind me of a Swedish locomotive (Rc6) that I've ridden in a few times. You can hear that the fan "spool-up" sound is quite similar.

Rc6:

BR112:

Although maybe slightly quieter in the BR112? Or it could be that other ambient noise is drowning it out, like the compressor.

For the BR143/BR112 to sound realistic it is crucial that the fan sound is correct and maybe to a lesser extent that the whining noise when accelerating is there (I'm not sure if it is the traction motors or the gears) and lastly that wind noise is there because it's what makes high speed driving actually feel "high speed".

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lamplight

Completely agree. The silence in the Br 143 cab is really an immersion breaker. It's a real shame since I'd love to drive it more, but every time I get into the cab, the annoying lack of sound hits me.

Nice videos, by the way. Thanks for sharing :D

• Like Like x 2