Best Uk Commuter Routes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helderbrincolas, Jul 12, 2021.

1. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of commuter routes, and i really enjoy the ones from the UK. I have the PDL, GEML, ECML, SWML and Chatam Medway Line. I had a look on Steam and the North London Line, Suburban Glasgow and the Cross City Line caught my attention. I would like to know your opinions on these routes and if you have other routes suggestions feel free to say them. Thanks in advance.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

NLL is a good route and sees a large number of Freight services passing between the SR, WR, WCML & GEML.
    South London Network is another good route with multiple routes thru a busy area for Freight and Passenger workings

I don't have Suburban Glasgow or the Cross City Line

• Like Like x 1
  3. helderbrincolas

Thanks you for the reply! Btw, what is SR and WR?

4. steve.cunningham1980

steve.cunningham1980 Member

I really like the Birmingham Cross City route, a good range of scenarios between about 45 and 90 minutes long. The drawbacks are that although two trains are included (class 323 and class 350) all of the scenarios have you driving only the class 323. Some people have reported issues with the sounds as well, but I have not experienced any personally.

London to Brighton is another good one with plenty of third party scenarios and lots of extra DLC available to add variety.

5. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, the West Coast Main Line North includes a good deal of the Glasgow Commuter network, namely the Hamilton Loop, Larkhall Branch, Whifflet Line (I don’t know if it has a proper name, also set in the past so it is isn’t electrified), the sort of connecting line between Motherwell, Whifflet and Coatbridge, the underground line from Rutherglen to Glasgow Central Low Level (not to be confused with the Glasgow Subway, this is a heavy rail underground line), Lanark branch, and many little loop lines and stubs of lines. Combine this with the 303, Strathclyde 101 (and AP packs for both if you so desire) and even maybe the old 156, and you have yourself a lot of route to cover (oh, and you know, the actual 100 mile mainline to Carlisle which is the main part of the pack as well). Since I realised that all of this extra trackage came with the route, it has been one of my absolute favourites. It is an old route, so costs less, but was made by Kross Rails so is very detailed. I don’t think there are many scenarios that come with the route that cover these areas, but there should be many on the workshop.

In terms of other routes, Liverpool to Manchester is an old favourite of mine, which could be classified as a commuter route, and there is a lot of stock available to run on it.

The Cross City Line is a really nice route in my opinion, with a lovely 323 model, one of my favourite trains. The sounds are rather off though (well, the actual sounds are good, but they cut in and out randomly and then you are eventually just left with the run sounds from the 170. Brake release sounds spot on though.), but I believe there have been sound mods released.

Suburban Glasgow is a nice route, let down a bit by the 320 and 158 included but nonetheless very well made. A good advantage of the route is that it completes the West Highland Line, there has been a merge released on workshop, so if you wish you can drive all the way from Glasgow to Mallaig. Doesn’t overlap anywhere with the aforementioned commuter network that comes with WCML North, annoyingly ends just a couple of miles down the line from where WCML North starts.

6. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention JT's Chiltern Mainline and London - Aylesbury route, lots of potential for commuter operations there. Just beware that most commuter services are formed of class 165/166s, which is the oldest DMU in the game. Other services are in the hands of class 168s, which only exist in the form of the similar, rather old class 170, but AP's 170 enhancement pack comes with 168 liveries. Other operations come in the form of class 172/1s, very similar to the London Overground 172. I'm sure there's a reskin out there somewhere.

7. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Has Wherry Lines been mentioned? I believe it's classed as a commuter line IRL. Excellent rural modelling in TS2021.

SR & WR = Southern Region and Western Region. These were former operating divisions of BR.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And still are the operating regions of Network Rail - although the Southern has split in to 3 areas

The North London and Goblin Line is quite cheap
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/500211/Train_Simulator_North_London__Goblin_Lines_AddOn/
    Screenshot (19).png
    Screenshot (20).png

Not shown on the maps but included is the Clapham Jn to Willesden Jn section of the NNL

GOBLIN is the abbreviation for the Gospal Oak to Barking line which is part of this add-on

9. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Surprised no one mentioned London to Brighton

It's my favourite route - you get some nice high speed running sections - if you also have the south london network, you can download the South London to Brighton merge off the workshop, which combines the two.

Driving the Class 421/422/423 and 442 Wessex are my top picks for DLC.

Well worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. helderbrincolas

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions! I forget to say that i really enjoy eletric traction and more suburban type routes. I find very anoying the issue with the class 323 sounds when they cut off... I would like to buy the route, but as a sound lover that will be impossible for me ahahaha.

11. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

I believe there is a updated sound pack for the 323 on Alan Thompson Sim - I think you need a couple of packs from AP for it to work:

https://alanthomsonsim.com/downloads/class-323-sound-pack/