Train Sim World 2 Or Train Sim 2021

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by sdfgaming, Jun 28, 2021.

?

Which is better

Poll closed Jun 28, 2021.
  1. Train Sim World 2

100.0%
  2. Train Sim 2021

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sdfgaming

sdfgaming New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I want to see which game is better, Train Sim World 2 or Train Sim 2021. I have seen some things saying that train sim world is just a copy of the last, but there have been some glitches on Train Sim World 2. So tell me which is better Train Sim World 2 or Train Sim 2021.

Thank you, sdfgaming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Depends what you're looking for. Snazzy graphics? A program that makes good use of newer hardware? TSW is for you. Huge choice of trains and routes? An editor to create your own routes? TS it is. (If you want to drive steam the only choice is TS.)

• Like Like x 7
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I like both as each has it's own unique thing about the sim to provide enjoyment.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Both games have their own pros and cons. Pros are (P) and cons are (C)

TS21
    (P) TS21 has been around for many years now (formerly Railworks) and has a lot of routes available for it (both payware and freeware) as well as lots of different worldwide locos. Scenarios can also be made using the in-built scenario editor and you can use a tool to swap out locos in scenarios for other ones. You can also have a go at building your own route if you wish as the editor is built in.
    Routes usually come with about 6 or 7 scenarios (either career or standard) and there's always quickdrive if you just want to try out a loco on a route or just have a good drive.
    (P) There's also the Steam workshop where you can download peoples scenarios to play and you can share your own scenarios too.
    As TS21 has been around for quite a while, older routes do show their age graphically and aren't upto the standards of more modern route builds but can still provide a good drive.
    (P) TS21 has Steam locos.
    (P) Has routes from lots of places worldwide.
    (P) Lots of 3rd party vendors out there such as Just Trains, Alan Thomson Sim and Armstrong Powerhouse (they do enhancement products for locos such as textures and sounds) as well as other route builders and loco creators ((C) can be expensive).
    (P)(C) Also, TS21 has some longer routes so you can drive for over 2 hours on some scenarios.
    (C) There's no timetable mode so you are reliant on scenarios for some routes to be populated by AI rail traffic.
    Available only on PC.

TSW2
    (P) Newer product built on Unreal Engine 4 from Epic Games.
    (P)(C) Graphically better but some routes have issues with texture popping and draw distance.
    (C) Shorter routes than TS21 but (P) you aren't restricted to the cab.
    (P) You can get out and explore stations and parts of the route to find collectibles.
    (C) Not a lot of DLCs in terms of countries or variety (UK, US and Germany are the big 3).
    (P)(C) Certain sounds can be a bit hit and miss. Some sound great and others are lacking.
    (P) Has a timetable mode, loco tutorials and a scenario mode (premade scenarios for the routes).
    (P) TSW will continue to get updates and new DLC
    (C) Night lighting in the game is terrible and you can barely see anything and there are some issues with lighting at stations etc.
    (P)(C) Has a small team working on updating older content (The preserved collection routes) to bring them in line with newer releases. The testing often takes time though as the team has to wait for a release window to provide the updates.
    (P)(C) Regular updates provided by DTG about the development of TSW and products including new DLCs (I say (C) because it can sometimes go wrong and things get pushed back or the update breaks something else).
    (C) No steam content yet but it's coming.
    (P)(C) Has a livery designer for certain locos/wagons but it's basic and you're restricted to 300 objects. There's also an issue currently with liveries going missing.
    (P)(C) Has an easier to use scenario planner than TS21 but it is basic, you can only program AI trains to leave after the player train start time and you're restricted to a maximum of 20 locos per scenario (max 30 scenarios per route).
    (P) Runs most of the time at a stable 60fps but can drop in high use areas such as stations.
    (C) Controls on preserved collection routes might not be the same as the immersive control scheme on newer TSW2 specific route builds.
    Not all preserved content routes have been updated to allow immersive control scheme in tutorials and scenarios.
    Available on console and PC (no cross platform compatibility though).

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  5. sdfgaming

sdfgaming New Member

WOW

6. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Nick Y's post is pretty darn good, but I would like to offer my two cents on a few points.
    I don't get why this would be a con by any reasonable metric, only a small portion of the scenarios in any route go beyond two hours, even on long routes, vast majority are around are an hour or less. If you want to do the entire six hour trek across Canadian Mountain Passes for example you have to do that in quick drive, or dig through the workshop, and even then you'd be hard press to find any beyond and hour or two. Longer routes are nothing but a pro, as the longer routes usually tend to have more yards and industries, thus providing a lot more runs even for those looking for shorter quick drives and scenarios.
    Absolutely true for TSW, but also true for TS Classic, a lot of the content for that also has hit and miss sounds. From my experience I would say TSW on average has better sounds, but doesn't hit the lows or highs TS Classic does. So on one hand you're never gonna have those poor quality MSTS era recordings that you'll see in something like the RS11, but you'll also never get the great quality sound that Searchlight & Armstrong can provide.
    So will TS Classic, DTG still makes new content constantly for TS Classic, as well as many third parties. And while they don't tend to update DLCs that often, TSW has that over TS Classic for sure, but they do update the core game every year or so with some minor, but (mostly) welcomed features.

• Like Like x 5
  7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm puzzled by references in this and other threads to "TS Classic", a title that I don't think DTG has ever used.

I'd also like to point out that I've encountered challenging instances of absence of light in both TS and TSW activities.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

It makes it much clearer which one's older, which is pretty important I think, also means a post isn't gonna be dated when DTG inevitably bumps up the title by a year, I also just like the sound of it.
    This is a comparison thread, I see little point in bringing up thing issues that exist in both games, might as well bring up the fact you drive trains in both titles at that point.

• Like Like x 1
  9. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Well, if your typing 'TS' there is always a chance of an accidental miss of a 'W' for TSW. Plus it's becoming more and more the common name for TS.

10. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

I like the "classic" distinction actually. Makes perfect sense.

PERSONALLY, I overwhelmingly more like being able to freely roam around and much better graphics of tsw(2) than having very long routes and tbh I no longer care to make my own. I migrated from ts "classic" to tsw right away even when it got released as heavy haul beta :cool: despite having many! ts dlcs. Sure I do miss some routes tbh (Mariah Pass, Horseshoe curve, Soldier Summit, Canadian Pass, etc) but hey gotta look forward. Just my preference.

BTW, steam and track ir are coming to TSW2 soon, and given time there will be more features (hopefully even full vr some day... though likely not in a near future)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

What's stopping you from fring up TS and driving those routes when the mood takes you? If you have bought both programs the only reason I can think of to remove TS rather than installing TSW alongside it is a lack the storage capacity- a problem which can be remedied easily enough.

Personally I think it comes down to what and where you want to drive. If you want to drive steam you have Hobson's choice as I noted above and in modern traction you have a far greater choice in TS than you have in TSW. TS is better VFM too- you can pick up a couple of older editions from other vendors for the price of a single TSW DLC.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

True that, I currently have six simulators installed :). More room is but a trip to the computer shop away. SSD aren't much more expensive than dirt these days.

I reinforce everything that's been said above, I have a great many simulators and don't feel tied to any of them. They're all fun for different and overlapping reasons. Take a look around, there are a lot of choices.