Progress Not Shared Between Tsw And Tsw2?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by johnpeat, Jul 13, 2021.

1. johnpeat

johnpeat New Member

It seems odd that any progress you make in TSW is not shared into TSW2 - am I missing something or do DTG expect you just to 'start over' or play the older game even tho the content from the older game works in the newer game??

I wondered if this only worked if you used DoveTailLive but that seems completely unrelated to this (which also seems a really odd choice)

I realize many people don't care about Levels and progress but the game is super-keen on them and yet it doesn't maintain progress across games which is - erm

Am I missing something here???

• Like Like x 1
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Well tsw2020 and tsw2 are technically sepreate games. (Tsw2 is more of a update to tsw2020 really) Due to that fact, that is why progress from tsw2020 doesn't carry over to tsw2 because they are sepereate games

3. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

Yes it was announced a long time ago even before release of tsw2 that dtg decided against this because it would bring a whole slew of potentially game-breaking issues, so we started with clean profiles in tsw2. no big deal imo.

4. johnpeat

johnpeat New Member

Might be more of a deal if this becomes the de-facto way DTG do yearly updates - e.g. rather than replacing the existing game (as they do with TS Classic) they release another version of TSW with your progress reset each time...

That system allows them to keep selling TSW with TSW2 out and presumably and TSW and TSW2 when TSW3 arrives and so on - which makes sense for them but could be annoying if each one resets progress (progress which should - let's be honest - be tracked in DTLive anyway)

It's also annoying to redo the 'Introduction' bits at the start of each route - again, that could get really tiresome if you have to redo those every time they update the base game (or boot the older game to play older routes!?)

5. tallboy7648

Well preserved collection did come with alot of issues unfortunately.

6. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

No, iirc they said they don't want a repeat of the tsw -> tsw2 headache, and are implementing some things differently this time. I am not a software engineer however, so I'm just taking it at face value.

7. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

yes but they meant many game-breaking issues, not just bugs. Sure, a few things broke but it wasn't "horrible" over all (again just imo)

I thought it was funny when in one scenario the consist I coupled to started having a seizure. I just needed to uncouple and recouple a few cars knuckles manually to fix it.

8. tallboy7648

I think what will happen is that the yearly updates will be free and they will release a route bundle kinds like rush hour is. They will still generate alot of money by doing that. Dtg don't want another tsw2020 tsw2 headache. Also tsw2 was more of an update and continuing support and whilst it did introduce new routes, it didn't really bring revolutionary new features imo

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  9. tallboy7648

There was more than "a few" issues lol. The worst part about it is that alot of the issues haven't been fixed and the first preserved collection fix didn't fix issues like sound meaning it will take a while for lirr to get its proper fix. Some routes have yet to even been touched by the preserved crew for fixes