Dtg’s Bizarre Announcement Policies

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, all this confusion, contradiction and the "left-hand, right-hand" statements have underestimated human nature and unleashed a forest fire which it is impossible to put out. Thursday can't come soon enough. Even beyond this week I'm sure the frenzy of speculation about release dates will continue unabated until a firm date is "announced" (a word which will live in infamy).:)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Well now knowing that it will be a Q&A stream should help put a bit of that fire out. If they had just from the start saying that there would be a Q&A on Thursday things may have gone better, Live and Learn I guess.

3. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Better tell the mods people are actually allowed to ask questions on Thursday then :|

• Like Like x 5
  4. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

They terrible on YouTube, they say always write into the Forums

• Like Like x 4
  5. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Absolutely, when it is actually a surprise and they don't say "there will be a surprise on Thursday but don't get your hopes up and you probably won't find it that interesting anyway".

The fact Nat said it won’t be that interesting for existing players makes me think it can only be a new platform like Switch or way to play like Stadia. Pretty much everything else would be of interest to us.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

OP is a well known DTG basher. They could make the world's best train sim ever, and this would still find some way to bash them.

Edited by DTG Natster - Removed inappropriate comment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

nah he's speaking facts

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

It will be that the next generation of TSW after Rush Hour is going to be mobile only. :)

9. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Pillock? How very kind of you. :)

I must be imagining the things I've contributed to the game and the community then.

• Like Like x 13
  10. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what we have been asked to do by DTG.

Ask a question - you might come up with one nobody has ever thought of before. If so then great you might get an answer if one can be given.

Repeatedly asking multiple times and requests for new stock / routes. Likewise asking the same question every night about a release date for a product when DTG have said repeatedly they will make announcements when they are ready.

• Like Like x 6
  11. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

This is the most ridiculous statement. LondonMidland is one of the best members on this forum and consistently gives constructive feedback, both positive and negative. When Southeastern High Speed was first shown off on steam he started a thread pointing out it’s deficiencies and helped, along with many other contributors, persuade DTG to make some changes which just about redeemed the route. This is something which we should all be grateful for. When Cathcart was shown off his comments were almost all positive. This doesn’t even take into account all the amazing mods he has made which unfortunately as a console player I can’t access.

Pointing out things like the pretty average looking skies and lack of really important features required of a simulator like dynamic weather or decent lighting doesn’t make him a basher, it shows the passion he has for TSW and the fact the sim has massive potential which is yet to be unlocked.

• Like Like x 21
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  12. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Certainly not me that asks these questions having been a regular for several years, the Mods can still be rude which is a shame. That's my issue. I have fed back my concerns to DTG on that so I have no need to discuss it here.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Bart2day good chap and well respected here.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Sony aren't even fully committing to PS5 yet as shown by them delaying God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 to make PS4 versions of them. It is flat out ridiculous to think a fairly smaller third party like DTG are gonna trash those versions of the sim within the year when those platforms are getting support from Sony until next year at the very least. If Sony don't think they can make their money back on those projects with the install base of PSS alone then how on Earth is it reasonable for DTG to think that?

• Like Like x 1
  15. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. londonmidland

Just a message to anyone who thinks TSW is coming to Nintendo Switch - just stop for a second and think.

TSW can barely run smoothly on base consoles as it is, so what makes you think a Nintendo Switch, which has significantly less power than a base console, can run TSW? Nintendo Switches are for lightweight, mobile games, not a graphical intensive game such as TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Ah, but what about the new Steam console...?

18. londonmidland

The only way you'd get TSW to work on ANY handheld device, is if it has the ability of some sort of cloud gaming, or it to be able to mirror your PC via Wi-Fi.

No handheld device has anywhere near enough power to play modern, PC-like games.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Crosstie

You may be right but, then again, some games that started out on PlayStation and Xbox have migrated to NS and DTG could make a specific version of TSW for that console. It's a huge market (85MM) and remember that NS works both as a mobile handheld and also as a TV based console, with new versions in the pipeline with expanded memory and storage.

20. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

If the Xbox Series S can handle TSW2 at 1440p/60 with 4TFLOPs, I'm confident the Steam Deck can handle TSW2 at 800p with 1.6TFLOPs. Normally, TFLOPs are not a useful comparison metric, but given that the systems both utilise a Zen 2/RDNA 2 APU, I feel more confident in comparing the two.

For a less direct comparison, the Xbox One only has 1.2 TFLOPs. Again, not very useful for a detailed and accurate comparison of performance because of the different core architectures, but it demonstrates the performance potential of the Steam Deck in TSW2.

We will see for certain when it launches.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  21. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

From what I've heard (this is second hand info) the new steam thing is somewhere between a PS4 and a PS5 in terms of how powerful it is (I've not really looked into it though), so it probably could handle TSW and maybe 1 or 2 DLCs on low graphics.

22. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

More like, somewhere between Xbox One and PS4. The game would have to be played on low settings for sure. But for a handheld experience that is fine with me.

Cheers

23. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Yorkshirelad I have edited your comment to remove an inappropriate comment towards another user.
    Please remember you are all entitled to a difference of opinion, no matter where someone's opinion lies there is never any need for name calling.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 16
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I disagree, I run the game on an Xbox One S (1tb) and I only get crashes once in large amount of time (a trait a few other games I have share, mostly as my storage is quite used up), and I also hardly ever get lag spikes.

• Like Like x 2
  25. conniethunder

Natalie.
    He did not misquote anything - please see my post https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/dtg’s-bizarre-announcement-policies.42464/page-2#post-339667

He simply referenced OP (Original Post) by mistake? rather than member https://forums.dovetailgames.com/members/25983/ post.

26. trainsimplayer

• Like Like x 2
  27. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

From the bottom of the new Rush Hour HUD article:

Join Matt, Sam, and JD on Railfan TV this Thursday 22nd July, they will be showing off some of the features covered in this article. Watch live on Twitch or YouTube at 19:00 UTC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Crosstie

• Like Like x 6
  29. conniethunder

30. Clumsy Pacer

I saw that too. I'm puzzled as to why it was initially billed as an announcement now, they appear (to me) to have completely backtracked.

• Like Like x 2
  31. trainsimplayer

They did a boris! :D
    Jk

• Like Like x 2
  32. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

Wasn't you I was referring to, it was the circle jerk comment.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

You said "OP is a well known DTG basher"

Seeing as though Londonmidland is the OP of this thread, he could be excused for thinking you were talking about him.

If you were referring to the person you quoted, you maybe should have left off the "OP"

• Like Like x 4
  34. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Not the best thing for a fairly new entrant to come in and be perceived to fire shots at someone who had made tsw better than its virgin “we can’t do this because of licenses or capacity form” :D

• Like Like x 2
  35. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Drag this back on topic please.

• Like Like x 6
  36. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Might be a little too late for that it has been spiraling out of control.

37. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

They’ve already said they will not discontinue older platform consoles.

38. conniethunder

I like your sig.
    T-Shirt printing time for that. :)

39. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Back to the topic. When we wake up on Friday morning (and the world is still on fire) we will be able to look back on the seven days that preceded it with full knowledge of how well this week’s announcement(s) and stream were named and handled. We’ll see if it was done badly or just cleverly. There’s been a three pronged attempt already from the community team to manage expectations and all we need now is for Jamie to pop up and tell us it’s going to be rubbish and we will have a full set. So eager are we for news that the merest sniff of something new sends us into a speculative frenzy that only the sustained use of such virtual water canons could halt. DTG could be playing us all like a fiddle. Such sweet music we all make together :D
    Bring on the Q&A stream, we want answers to erm… whatever the question is.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Should we ask deep thought, or maybe the mice have finished their experiments on us earthians

• Like Like x 3
  41. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I think this thread could be closed ;-)

42. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Hello Protag, I see you are now listed as "Special Projects" under your title - can you reveal more? Will this be covered in Q & A

43. Clumsy Pacer

That's just his old job before he temporarily became community manager. Basically entails player research and using that to assist development I believe. Pretty sure he's been listed as special projects for a while.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  44. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Sam what are you doing up at half twelve in the morning on these forums lol

• Like Like x 1
  45. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Given that one of the announcements was simultaneously a delay and a price increase for the only forthcoming content we could be forgiven for feeling that existing players might actually care quite a lot about this...

• Like Like x 2
  46. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Seems like today's "announcement" is another chapter out of this book :) I am a bit worried what more will happen until the three routes are finally released

47. Clumsy Pacer

Well on the 12th, the Martians are set to invade and set Woking on fire, so they'd better hurry up ;)

• Like Like x 2
  48. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was more of the usual Dtg complaining, and intended to ignore it.
    Having read the new page on rush hour I’m shaking my head.
    At the top of the page is an embedded video, which is a complete waste of time and money “signifying nothing”.

I actually watched hoping for some new nugget of information.
    It actually makes me irritated. How dare they waste my time like this.

Please Dtg fire your publicity department as they are doing you more harm than good.

p.s. The Martians have good taste and I for one welcome our…..

• Like Like x 4
  49. Crosstie

What a bizarre week it's been. From the announcement of the "Announcement" last Friday to the seemingly endless parade of "anti excitement" posts to the flurry of articles leading to the furore on the forums and now the attempts at damage control: and it's not over yet. When you boil it down, a few basic facts remain:

1. The overall price has increased by 10 bucks. Well, the price should never have been set so low in the first place. TSW prices are lower than TS prices which never made any sense to me. So the three routes are still a bargain.

2. The release date has morphed into a "release season". No big deal. It will amount to the same thing in the end, provided the season doesn't stretch out for months.

3. The German route has been cut back by a sizable amount. That is a big deal for fans of that route and they are justifiably miffed.

4. The core update is a whimper, really. More passengers? Uh huh. Diversity? Fine. What's really needed for a rush hour is lots more AI trains, noise, vehicular activity etc.which I don't see coming. The rest seems mostly for consoles, nothing much there for PC players, unless I'm missing something. Track IR is not for me, I move my head quite slowly these days.:)

When the dust settles, we'll all go on as before. We have to, because we love the game and it's the only one in town. And, if the new routes are fun and well made and the core upgrades move the game forward, we'll all forget about this " tempest in a teapot". Won't we?? :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  50. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

DTG has really dropped a few bollards this past week. A complete public relations disaster. Will they learn from it? I seriously doubt it. The same mistakes and appallingly bad decisions keep repeating themselves time and again. But whatever, at least we can take comfort in the knowledge these decisions aren’t taken lightly!

• Like Like x 2