Will Ts Classic Be Playable On Steam Deck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pauldseath, Jul 20, 2021.

1. pauldseath

pauldseath New Member

As TS2021 is in Steam, will it be playable on Steam Deck, the new Valve Handheld Device and will all DLC?

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

You might need to plug in a keyboard for some of the controls but, if it's all it's cracked up to be, I see no good reason why not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Would you wish to play a game like TS on something the size of a Nintendo?

4. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Because commuting can be boring? The screen is a lot closer to your face using a handheld device than using a PC or even a laptop, so it may not be as suboptimal as you initially think, assuming someone can do something clever with the controls on the Deck. I think only time will tell on this one - maybe TSW would be a better fit than TS. Then again, you can also plug it into a monitor and keyboard when back at home, ready for longer scenarios.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I asked the question because of the small size of the screen how you would see the detail you need to run the game.

6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Guess you've never watched a movie or series on a latest gen smart phone then.

7. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

And it's a completely valid and sensible question to ask, I didn't meant to imply otherwise or cause any offence. That wasn't my intention, sorry.

I was commenting that a virtual driver would be holding the screen much closer to their head and eyes than when using a desktop monitor, so it may or may not be an issue and only time will tell. Like I said, it might be that its a better fit for TSW rather than TS, as TS has much smaller interface elements to deal with in the HUD.

As for the actual resolution of the internal screen (1280 x 800px), I guess a lot will depend on how well antialiasing works on the GPU of the device. No-one really knows how well the GPU will perform, other than it *might* be very roughly analogous, purely in terms of in teraflops, to a PS4.

8. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

It's a good question especially since you can "play" TRAINZ on an iPad, etc. TS would be a great addition.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I remember having a simpler version of Trainz on an iPad some years back but it was very basic

10. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I play TSW2020 on my iPhone through the XBox Streaming service. It’s pretty playable on the small screen thanks to the large hud. I think TS2021 maybe a bit small though.

11. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Considering that the Switch and Game Deck are way large than most portable devices, and you're holding it fairly close to your face it would be fine.

12. pauldseath

pauldseath New Member

I have heard there is going to be a dock, like the switch, so maybe that will link to a TV?

13. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

It can connect directly via its usb-c port to a DisplayPort monitor without needing a dock at all. The dock has both DisplayPort and HDMI ports, so yes, TV usage is definitely a possibility.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Will it be able to run anything apart from items available thru Steam?

15. JJTimothy

It would seem so. It's a portable PC so if you're really keen you could ditch Steam OS in favour of Windows or Linux or perhaps even dual boot.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/steam-deck-price-release-date-specs/

Looks like having decent storage is going to cost you.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So how would you add repaints, third party add-ons
    How would you do stuff that you use a keyboard for?
    Edit a train formation and swap locos in the game?

I doubt you could use those buttons to do those things

And $649 for the 512GB version is expensive

17. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

It's literally a full blown computer, you can do anything a normal Linux and Windows capable PC can do. Pretty much every modern OS' also has digital keyboard that you can use should you not have a keyboard plugged in, maybe not the best but it would work in a pinch for things like a quick internet search and some .cfg file modding. And you could connect one wirelessly with bluetooth if you had one on hand, and could plug one in as long as it has USB-C.

Portable devices aren't restricted to calculator hardware like a Game & Watch was anymore, there's phones that can beat consoles in raw horsepower these days. Trust me, you could absolutely play TS Classic at a playable framerate in a good amount of instances these days. Might not beat those crazy $3000 dollar laptops you can get for sure, but it's solid for what it is.

18. JJTimothy

A digital keyboard would be clumsy to use with TS I should think but then carting a keyboard around would rather compromise the portability... There's to be a docking station which would use the USB-C port I guess so you should be able to plug in anything within reason.

And 64GB for the base model won't get you very far. I wonder how hard Steam will make it to swap the drive out.

19. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

It supports gamepads, outside of some Pro content you'd be fine. And as you say at home you could use a keyboard when you want to modify game files and things like that. Probably wouldn't want to be downloading files from a place like RWA on dodgy public internet anyways.

I understand why people here don't care for the concept, I think everyone here plays TS at home on a computer monitor (or TV in my case) after all. But imagine if you're always on the go and don't want something which is gonna take massive amounts of room. Something like a Steam Deck's a godsend, and while not the ideal way to play should be plenty good enough way to play in that scenario.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  20. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I'm a lorry driver, and for the times I'm sat doing nothing waiting to be loaded or tipped then damned right I'd use a Steam deck, also got to remember it's not just for games either, you can watch YouTube, twitch or Netflix just as well with it.

• Like Like x 1