[solved] Troubles With Dtg W. Hydraulic Class 35 Vacuum Brakes

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by VION, Jun 12, 2018.

1. VION

VION Active Member

Hi All,
    I don't know if this glitch could be classified as bug, but I get some troubles using the vacuum brakes on the DTG Western Hydraulic Class 35 loco.
    First of all this loco has only the independent brake working gauge indicator . The brake pipe and cylinders gauge indicator is not working at all; so it is very hard to know about the pressure applied on cylinders and about the pressure left in the pipe.
    Using the F4 HUD, I can see how the vacuum is working looking at the pipe and cylinder icons and the blue vertical bars moving down and up.
    Overall sometimes (to don't say very often) moving the brake lever between 1st application notch and full service notch, moving the brake lever inside this range lost braking application on the cylinders and the displayed blue bar revert to the maximum up value without reason meaning no brakes applied and full pressure in the pipe while the brake lever is on whatever percent between 1st application notch and full service notch.
    Otherwise on the two others locos coming with this pack the Class 52 and 42 these vacuum brakes are well working with also well working gauges indicators.

I think DTG could think about an fix/update on this Class 35 to first to get a working vacuum gauge and a well working brake simulated mechanism. I hope that but the reality could be different. I don't purchased the early standalone DLC Class 35 dated from 2014; so may be it is the cause of getting this glitch.

And plus if anyone know for a fix on this vacuum brake Class 35 behavior, could you be nice to point me out on the right way how to fix it.

Friendly thinking
    Gérard

2. VION

VION Active Member

I come back talking about this supposed glitch but its me which don't understand well how this vacuum brakes behave.

I just went to discover when using this Class 35 as a light engine, both the train brakes or the independent brakes react by reflecting on the brake gauge needle whose are moving up and down correctly indicating the pressure applied to the brakes cylinders.
    But when this loco is coupled with Mk1 coaches, applying train brakes result on a no reaction on the brake needles gauge. I never know how much pressure is on the brakes cylinders so don't be able to balance my brakes pressure.
    I believe it is a normal behavior but I wish to know why in this case (when Mk1 coaches are hocked up to this loco) the brake gauge doesn't indicate anything.
    There is some good reason for that but I completely ignore the cause if it is a simulated bug or if it is a normal behavior.

Sorry for my ignorance but some explanation will be very welcome.
    Hey DTG support come back I need some clarification on this subject please.

Friendly thinking

3. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

As I have been told, the simulation of dual brakes locomotives is much better in TSW than in TS1. The main problem with TS1 is that a loco in vacuum brake mode will only use the vacuum brakes...in reality (and in TSW) vacuum brake mode uses both the air brakes and vacuum brakes at the same time-so as you apply brakes in vacuum mode you should indeed see a drop in brake pipe and an increase in brake cylinder pressure as well as a drop in the vacuum pipe.

So yes, when using the vacuum brakes, you should see the brake cylinder pressure register changes, even though that’s an air brake component. Most things in TS1 dont work that way-but as you know, there are exceptions!

As for why it works as expected with a light engine, that’s because TS1 locos without advanced scripting default to air brake mode unless coupled to something vacuum braked-like the Mk1s.

4. VION

VION Active Member

Hi pschlik yes I'm thinking the same but why this vacuum cylinders brakes gauge is well working even when the loco is coupled with coaches fitted with vacuum or air brakes on steam locos and not on this particular Class 35. As far I remember the two others locos coming with the Western hydraulics pack are also fitted with vacuum brakes and the gauges are well working when coupled with similar coaches. I don't understand why the Class 35 haven't a working vacuum pipe or at the least a working vacuum brake cylinders gauge when coupled with Mk1 coaches.

5. VION

VION Active Member

Here is a video about troubles I get using the train brakes on this Class 35 Hymek coming with the DTG Western Hydraulics Pack.

Sorry very sorry for my bad spoken English.

6. VION

VION Active Member

Hello,
    This week end I purchased on Steam for 13.99 Euros the other BR Class 35 standalone model dated from 2014 Y. just to see if the glitch I get with the Class 35 coming with the Western Hydraulics Pack, if this glitch was existing on the standalone model.
    So I tested quickly on a short time, and the brake cylinders gauge is working well even this loco is coupled with coaches vacuum braked which is not the case on the Class 35 Western hydraulics Pack.
    I just purchased to do this test then asked for a refund on Steam.

So now my question to DTG why the brake cylinders gauge is working well when coupled with coaches vacuum braked on the stand alone DLC and not on the other Western Hydraulics Pack as these two locos are exactly the same…? And the western Hydraulics pack version is sensed to be an updated version .

Cheers
    Gérard

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  7. VION

VION Active Member

Hi there,
    I just went to solve the problem by editing a provided consist included in the Western Hydraulics pack for the Class 35 then replacing all the Mk1 coaches by exactly the same coaches which come with the West Highland line South from the Dev. Milepost Simulation in collaboration with DTG and problem solved: the brake cylinder gauge needles move up and down using the train brake lever.

Sorry for all this mistake but the Class 35 from Western Hydraulics Pack has a brake cylinders gauge well working but not when coupled with the Mk1 coaches which comes with this Pack.

Cheers
    Gerard

• Like Like x 1