Steam Locomotives In Tsw

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mr T, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Are there plans to add Steam Locomotives to TSW? I imagine the answer is most likely yes, as the developers would probably want to see everything train related end up in TSW but is there a rough timeframe for which we should expect to see one (or some) appear on the roadmap?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

No timeframe that we know of so far, and likely none that they intend to share at this point in time.

3. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

We will see steam one day, the delvopers all want to see it included. It is quite complex and will take time to get it done right, patience my friend

4. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

Dovetail will share information on steam engines... when they are ready to show information on steam engines :P

5. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

The motion blur is a big issue, you only have to look at the Class 09 on WSR at higher speeds to see the issue there.

There's also the problem with particle emitters. A steam locomotive is vastly more complex than a diesel in terms of steam and smoke emissions. DTG can't get the simple exhaust on a diesel to work correctly; some AI don't have it and sometimes it disappears from the player locomotive.

Additionally there's the physics side of things, with DTG having taken over a year to start correcting errors in the diesel physics and still the majority of the diesels have the original flawed physics. A steam locomotive is a completely different set of physics to be modelled, so they'll be starting from scratch there.

For a fully functioning steam locomotive with accurate physics, you're looking at several months at the very least, more likely next year.

• Like Like x 3
  6. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

Steam Locomotive is toughest to model, toughest controlles and toughest physics.

7. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I was just curious as I noticed there aren't any currently and I really like them. For now I'll keep playing Train Simulator to get my Steam Loco fix. To be honest, I think right now TS is more realistic as far as the simulation aspect goes anyway. TSW is still very much in it's infancy.

8. Tony

Tony New Member

I was a bit dissapointed when I saw that the Minehead shunter did not have a steam engine especially as its a feature down in somerset...ahh well can only hope in the future eh Dovetail ? :)

9. djos18

djos18 Member

I hope they do it

10. amigacooke

amigacooke New Member

Difficult for a product to be called "Train Sim World' and then fail to include steam.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

Not really.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

On the latest TSW stream Matt was asked about steam and it seems that part of the problem is to ensure non experts are not put off by steam whilst also making it realistic enough for experts. My read on this is that producing steam will be sufficiently expensive that DTG want to ensure that non experts won't be put off buying a DLC that includes steam. There was a poll recently in this forum and it was noticeable that the bulk of people were more interested in eras after the age of steam.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

To be fair though, the 70s were in fourth place in the poll with still quite a lot of votes and in the 70s steam locos were still used in lots of countries.

14. Digital Draftsman

They still can't get the exhaust to work on the AI trains on WSR, there are still issues with the motion blur on wheels and there are still issues with diesel physics, let alone steam physics and control scripting.

Regardless of how big the market is for steam, DTG are not able to do steam, they don't have the technical ability to do it at this stage. Once we see the elements required for steam functioning within other DLC in the game, it'll be possible to more accurately estimate when we'll get a steam loco. As things stand, we won't be getting steam for several months, perhaps not even this year.

Hopefully DTG sort out the editor, then the talent in the community can get hold of TSW and fulfil its potential.

• Like Like x 2
  15. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

DTG can barely get the exhausts to look good on the HST, 166 and 66, so I’d hate to see what a Steam engine would look like.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

However at present DTG are only creating DLC for Germany, UK and USA and I'm pretty certain none of those were using steam in the 70s. From what Matt said in the stream there's quite a big investment required if they want to create DLC for other countries so I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

17. Digital Draftsman

DB in West Germany were using steam well into the 1970s, in East Germany DR were using steam into the late 1980s. The class 52.80 steam locomotive was in use at the same time as the East German electric Class 143 featured in TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

In the grand scheme of things I'm sure we can all see that DTG are throwing open this editor to everyone so the wider community from around the world can create routes and locomotives, freightcars, etc, at their leisure for their own countries to play with, as DTG cannot possibly cater for everyone around the globe as the costs would be totally prohibitive and research materials and other things would take a lot of time and effort to collect and use building content accordingly, they might as well let people from other countries who have such vast local knowledge of their own railways and infrastructures to construct a vast array of assets with their talents, I'm sure a steam loco will be created by somebody, although, which country it will come from first will be hard to say. :love:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. amigacooke

amigacooke New Member

Steam locomotion would be nice.

20. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Wow, I see I posted this thread nearly 2 years ago when I first joined the forum. I still have no clue if TSW is any closer to getting steam locos.

21. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Alas no

22. BluePasta#4721

BluePasta#4721 New Member

r u sure about that

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I am beginning to think that these forums would benefit from a necrobump rule.

Cheers

24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree. Resurrecting a two year old thread should incur at least a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down (new thread):D

• Like Like x 1
  25. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Locking this. A valid necropost, but let's not make a habit of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.