Important Next Gen Version Save Question

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, May 5, 2021.

1. Matzo

Matzo Active Member

I'm really worried around how "preserved" content will be handled with this, surely, if the games are treated as separate, on PS5, we will have to download everything we chose to purchase again? Space on the PS5 SSD is already an issue...

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You’d have to delete the PS4 versions and use the PS5 versions exclusively.

3. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I also doubt very much that anything can be done to carry across the PS4 save. It just doesn’t work that way.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

It's been done in several games that have received PS5 versions.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. TinTin_57

I think those are upgrades though whereas this will be a new game entirely as Matt mentioned on the stream

6. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

I think what they mean by that is it is own separate application on the store rather than a completely different product from the PS4 version. The fact that Xbox series X can use previous save data says that this is just a difference in how saved data is stored and accessed

Other developers have managed to get around this issue between PS4 and PS5. Some its been uploading to the cloud such as FFVII remake, others have pulled the data direct such as SW Fallen Order.

Now I am guessing that a small team such as Bugbear (less than 30 staff) can manage to get the saved data between platforms, a larger developer such as DTG certainly can

Its more to do with desire and will rather than technical barriers at this point and as DTG have shown elsewhere that they are starting to cut large corners for Rush Hour, indicates that they are not particularly a customer friendly company

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m resolved to start again from fresh on the PS5 version. In fact, as I’m currently playing some Final Fantasy 14, I am going to completely uninstall the PS4 version of TSW 2 from my PS5 today at some point. I’m going to hold off playing it again until the enhanced PS5 version is available with all the new goodies it brings.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Spider studios managed to do it as well with Greedfall while having 20+ employees according to their website.

That‘s what I was driving at. There are plenty of examples showing that it can be done on PS5, but it‘s a non-zero effort for DTG. Seeing how it only affects Playstation users and there is no progression per se (nothing you need to unlock etc), I don‘t see DTG committing any real resources to it. Especially considering the precarious situation they‘ve gotten themselves into these last couple of days.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

I‘m close to have done with TSW.
    Was angry when starting TSW2 that there was no progress, no profile, nothing from TSW.
    I‘m angry about not fixing problems with red signals on RRO and RSN.
    I‘m angry about the new pricing for Rush Hour and cutting of Dresden-Riesa parts.
    And now, after thousands of miles running TSW2, after doing collectables for many hours on each route I played, getting closer to the platinum, they will not be able to simply carry over profile and savegame from PS4 to PS5 version?
    Sorry, even if I really like driving trains, feels like it‘s getting enough for me, spending so much time and receive disappointment after disappointment

• Like Like x 2
  10. kingus.uk

kingus.uk Active Member

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact I'm gonna keep playing the ps4 version on my ps5. I'll see what next summers big update is, and probably start again with the ps5 version of that.

• Like Like x 3
  11. TheTipsyRaccoon

TheTipsyRaccoon Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’m not chuffed with having to restart AGAIN but the silver lining is until rush hour drops, I can focus on other things. I’ve had The Last of Us part two and Horizon Zero Dawn sitting in my back catalogue waiting for attention.

Certainly not adding more progress to something that I’m losing all progress on shortly.

• Like Like x 2
  12. surreychuff#3060

surreychuff#3060 Active Member

Yes, I think this sums up my position; park it and pick it up again when the PS5 version drops.

Definitely not chuffed if they aren’t able to bring over the save files, as I’m in the camp that started again with TSW2, then started again when I got my PS5 as didn’t think to upload / download the cloud save. It isn’t the end of the world and hopefully they do find a solution.

Ironically I’d held off playing a few routes as waiting for the preserved collection updates to drop, so at least when the PS5 version lands, I’ll have a lot of content to re-discover with some / all of the RH2 bells and whistles :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. manticor225

manticor225 Well-Known Member

The custom liveries are the only thing that would stop me from converting to a PS5 version. That's something I really can't replicate and don't want to lose.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheTipsyRaccoon

TheTipsyRaccoon Well-Known Member

Yeah I was intentionally swerving the bakerloo line for this reason because I actually drive tube trains (not bakerloo though), I couldn’t deal with the speed limit changeover thing and the inconsistent stopping points. Such tiny issues to most I’d imagine, but to me it’s the bread and butter of driving LU lines, so I’m looking forward to finally sinking my teeth into that.

15. TinTin_57

The one light at the end of this tunnel (badum tisss) may be that for me, complete all scenarios trophy on IOW may finally work for me in the PS5 version. I won't hold my breath (see I am trying to find positives for restarting a few hundred hours of gameplay and progress all over again...I really am)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I don’t think I’ll be reinstalling IoW. If Rivet can’t be bothered with it, neither can I.

• Like Like x 3
  17. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Hang on a minute. What about liveries and custom scenarios? I, and I'm sure many other PS4 players, have invested many hours in creating a couple of dozen or so really detailed custom liveries that now I will just have to leave behind??!! That's not right. I don't really care about my 'progress', i.e. services completed etc, it's much more the time and effort put into the creations.

• Like Like x 2
  18. manticor225

manticor225 Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that. I don't think DTG is gonna shrug their shoulders and just say, "meh, not worth our time" when they know the custom liveries are important to many of us.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

It is a bit disconcerting to hear that I may have to restart all progress and redo liveries and scenarios on the PS5 when the new version drops.
    I do see where Matt is coming from though with regards to game saves. PS5 has separate areas on the SSD for PS4 games and native PS5 games.
    Also, we don't have an option currently on PS5 to extend the internal storage as the slot hasn't been activated yet and PS5 games can't be run from external SSDs (the games can only be stored on an external drive). Sony hasn't even released a compatibility list and this is 9 months after the console release.

Yes, there have been some other games that have allowed save data transfers to the upgraded game so maybe DTG could approach Sony to ask for assistance with this so that players don't have to restart all progress (especially if you're close to that 10k miles trophy).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I didn't even think of those as I rarely use these, but fair point. All of these will be lost if DTG doesn't come up with a way to transfer your save data.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I only got my PS5 on Wednesday so I'll be ready to start fresh when the next-gen version comes out. The only question that remains for me is, do I jump into the PS4 version and grab that platinum or no? Only need to do that 10,000 miles trophy! :o

22. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I guess it depends how much you value the Platinum Trophy and how many more miles you need to go to get. If you have LGV, that helps to get the 10k miles very quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've got LGV. I'll probably just install that and the base game to quickly get that Platinum lol

• Like Like x 1
  24. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

Sorry to bother, surely it was mentioned somewhere else, but don‘t find it anymore.
    Which was of the LGV timetable services northbound do not stop at Aix en Provence? For kilometer rushing towards platinum this stop sucks :-D