Concept: Greater Western Express

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by james64, Jul 23, 2021.

1. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Thought about calling this idea "Great Western Express 2.0" or something like that, but this just rolls off the tongue better.

An upgraded or electrified version of GWE seems to be one of the most requested additions to TSW2, I see it brought up more than some routes and locos. Clearly the community is passionate about this, so I thought I would outline what I personally would want to see in such an add on.

Changes to the route itself

The first major upgrade is that the line has been extended from Reading to Didcot Parkway and Oxford, just like the classic route in Train Simulator. This allows for a far greater variety of services, as well as making the route feel much more substantial than it does now. Another change is that the line is now fully electrified from Paddington to Didcot, bringing it more in line with the current appearance of the route, as well as bringing electric trains to the route.

Class 800/3

This would be the other main selling point of this expansion. I feel like it's only a matter of time until we see an 800 in TSW2 (unless rights issues get in the way), and it would be great to see it make it's debut in one of TSW2's most beloved routes. I specify the /3 as I think it would be the simplest to make, with the 800/0 they'd have to create more service variety between five and ten car trains.

One really interesting feature for it would be the power changeover from Electric to Diesel for the line to Oxford, I loved doing something similar in LGV and I think it would be equally fun here.

Class 387/1

This seems pretty logical seeing as this train will soon be in the upcoming Brighton Mainline. I don't know if that version of the 387 (the 387/2) will have pantograph functionality so it may not be just a copy and paste job, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Nowadays these trains form the backbone of commuter services between Paddington, Reading and Didcot, so it would be great to see these.

Returning Trains

I actually think it would be best to set this route around 2018, so that it would be set in the transition period between the old and new stock. This would enable the HST and 166 to still be in the route. It's a given that the 66 will return, and maybe the 47, Peak, 37 etc could come over to the route for special railtour services (like they did with East Coastway and SEHS). The 166 is still in use on stopping services between Didcot and Oxford to this day, so that's another new service they could do (I know 165s are what's normally used on these, but I doubt many will care. I don't and I know this route like the back of my hand).

All the scenarios from the previous version of the route would also carry over. I'm not really sure if the timetable could transfer over though. One idea I had is that a new timetable could be created, and fast services could be played using either the 800 or the HST (a similar system for the commuter services between the 166 and 387). You would select the 800, and the list of services available for it would be the same list of services available for the HST. AI services meanwhile could have say a 70% chance of spawning as an 800 and a 30% chance as an HST, or whatever the most realistic ratio was back then. I don't know how these things work, so such a system might be too complex, which is fine. I just think it would be a neat way of showing the changing of the guard as it were.

So that's it! Overall I think this would be a fantastic addition to TSW2, however I doubt they will do such a thing as they'd rather focus resources on building new routes, which is understandable. I still think I'd take this over the 1500th modern German route or yet another modern British route set in South East England with third rail traction, but feel free to disagree.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Cool suggestion however,
    GWR only have the Class 800 & 802 the Class 803 is run by East Coast Trains just a small thing :)

Just something else I forgot to mention I think the trains do the power change over by them selves (I know the LNER 800's do) so nothing for the player to do but still makes the train act very differently :)

It would never just be a copy paste (livery, more seats etc.) The BML version runs on 3rd rail however I think DTG would add the pantograph functionality for future upgrades on other routes.

Just some extra information the Class 800 series trains don't have /x such as Class 66/2 they are 8xx, so a class 802 is equivalent to a 800/2 in other classes, not sure why there different but just so you know :)
    Again cool suggestion :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

As long as it were to come with ALL the branch lines that are currently missing. Perhaps also the special liveried Class 180 that appeared at the Old Oak Common 111 open day as a DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

Good suggestion. But that's not gonna happen. DTG doesn't extend routes, and GWE is set in 2016. And if there's a route that exists in TSW, we can't see any other (time period) versions of it. That's why we can't see fully electrified GWE or electrified Peninsula Corridor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Why not look to other areas of the country?

South Wales, West Country, North West (modern)?
    Rebuilding a 40 something mile route which has 3 different trains on it for the most part, 1 of which we already have an almost carbon copy of in game isn't "bringing a different experience". Do something different, make new trains and experiences rather than "more of the same
    (3 different trains are 80x, Electrostar and 345, we already have electrostars in game (and getting another with RH-BML))

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

The OP is talking about rebuilding GWE as a 2021 era route...

• Like Like x 2
  7. james64

Pretty sure the 800s do have subclasses. The 801s and 802s are separate classes all together.

The 800/0s are five car sets on GWR, the 800/1s are nine car sets with LNER, the 800/2s are five car sets with LNER and the 800/3s are nine car sets with GWR.

8. james64

I completely agree, I made this post because so many people seem to request an upgraded GWE, and I thought I would outline ways DTG could potentially do this.

9. ARuscoe

DTG have said they don't want to, and I can see why... and for me I would prefer the sprinter classes and pacers over reused electrostars at this point
    The 80x would be better brought in as a Kings Cross pack and then reskinned into GWE or something like that

• Like Like x 1
  10. james64

Yeah probably. I'd definitely take an ECML South over something like this.

11. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

My bad then.
    Don't really like reading long text.

12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I wonder if we’ll ever see a Pacer. Love it or hate it, it should be in the game.

13. james64

Oh definitely. They're so iconic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ARuscoe

Better to skip on a TLDR basis than to comment...

• Like Like x 1
  15. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Would love something in anglia :)

Relating to the original post, it would be nice to have a new and upgraded route

16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

The Gatwick Express 387/2s do have a 25kv 50hz pantograph installed on the ptso. Here's one at MML Bedford in 2016
    The other video is a 387/2 operating on Thameslink pre Class 700 ATO Level 2 ETCS with 387/1
    Video is by Howard HST

• Like Like x 1
  17. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I guess you're correct but also wrong, as the OP is referring to the 800/3 which GWR definitely do have. It's a subclass of the class 800 as opposed to being a class 803

• Like Like x 2
  18. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'd pay for it tomorrow. I never really liked how DTG time framed the GWE route with the electrified not finished. For me they should of gone earlier or later. If they had gone before the overhead cables then packs like the 1970's Diesel legends wouldn't look as so silly, thank goodness for mods eh? lol.

If they had gone later with the finished electrified line they could of added in up to date stock. Saying that I have suggesting doing the GWE from the other direction, Cardiff - Didcot or Bristol - Didcot which would introduce new stations to TSW2.

• Like Like x 1