Searching For Alternatives To Tsw

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by keksman, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Searching for some other Train Simulators because Im definitly done with TSW after what those monkeys did today. Could you guys give me some suggestions please?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Try the truck and bus simulators instead.

3. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

Keksman, if you like railroading in North America you might check out Run 8 Studios "Run 8 Version 2". It's sandbox within route limitations, but with 400+ contiguous miles with the Southern California BNSF/UP mainlines, lots of locals, several major yards it sims ops really well. Can be a steep learning curve but the community is dedicated to helping. Graphics are not the selling point although they are good enough to be immersive and the physics haven't been matched yet. They introduced decent AI in V2 so if you prefer single player it works well. Surprisingly the multiplayer is very good. 3DTS/R8Studios have not released editors so if you are a route builder this is not going to work. I sim with Run 8, TS 20XX, and TSW--- apples/oranges= fruit-- but as with any sim YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Kind regards,
    DaveS

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Keksman is obviously looking for another Train Simulator, rather than some other form of transportation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. haanuman

haanuman New Member

Trainz Simulator 2010: Engineers Edition looks promising.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello there!

The dark truth is, that there really are no good alternatives. TSW and TSXX are lightyears ahead of all other train simulation software in my opinion. I know that DTG doesn't always behave perfectly, but, there is no good alternative.
    On another note, perhaps tell us what exactly makes you want to quit TSW/TSXX so badly, maybe I can help.

Alrighty then,
    Cheers,
    ProfCreeptonius

• Like Like x 4
  7. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I agree with ProfCreeptonius! Good luck finding a better train simulator. TSW does have a few problems, but it is still far superior than any other!

• Like Like x 4
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Well, it will be once the traction on the 66, hst etc has been implimented, theres more content and better scenario content. In the meantime it certainly looks the part and is clearly graphically streets ahead. We can all see where its going and I for one am checking in every day for progress updates. Cant wait and its certainly keeping my inner child smiling away :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Anthony Pecoraro

Glad to hear that. I have to wait the longest for the new physics on the American freight locomotives. :(

10. keksman

I know theres nothing as good as Train Sim World but im ready to lower my expectations just because of how trash of a company DTG is. Their highest priority is it to grab as much money from customers as possible while fixing bugs released with new dlc's. Been supporting them from the beta and all they gave their loyal supporters back were expensive dlc's including one or two trains with a map and console ports... 0 core improvements.
    Actually disgusting how they are trying to abuse the fact that theres no competition and I personally have enough.
    Thanks to all who gave me some suggestions.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Anthony Pecoraro

There have been core updates.

• Like Like x 4
  12. keksman

Go ahead and list them.

13. Anthony Pecoraro

No more springy hoses, optimizations, passenger fixes.

• Like Like x 2
  14. TrainSim-Luke

TrainSim-Luke Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  15. Anthony Pecoraro

16. keksman

When talking about core improvements you usually dont include selfevident changes like the performance improvements in the spring update.
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/forums/feature-suggestions-proposals.78/
    Take anything out of many great feature suggestions from the start of the forum till now. Not a single feature got added through the whole duration... well I dont even remember a single feature being added to the game at all. TSW is the same it has been 1,5 years ago + we never even got to see any progress of high promised features like the editor, PIS or the multiplayer.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TrainSim-Luke

Performance improvements are core improvements, whether it's improvements to the performance of the engine or the individual route.

Most of the things you find in the suggestions section are content suggestions. These are not core improvements, they're content. There is a difference.

Just because the features you personally wanted haven't appeared yet doesn't mean that nothing at all is new or has changed in the game.

• Like Like x 5
  18. keksman

When I think about core improvements, I think about features/content added to the game. How I said before, performance-, engine improvements and bugfixes of dlc's are expected and selfevident things that need to happen no matter what in the cycle of development so they are not worth mentioning as huge changes. (especially if the majority of those bugfixes are related to released paid dlc's)

I dont have a personal preference about what feature DTG should add at all. Its just obvious in what direction TSW is going when there hasnt been a single content/feature update in all those years of development and now a console port is being sold as a "huge announcement" while stuff like the editor is still something we dont know a thing about.

And do you really think the casual player who didnt play CSX for a year would notice any difference playing the game again? Besides, how I said, the performance improvements? I guess he would notice the worse looking scenery...

• Like Like x 3
  19. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

A core improvement is by definition an improvement to the TSW core (bugfixes, localization, engine improvement), not a content addition.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  20. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

You seem to have forgotten the numerous of things DTG have fixed. These include HST gangway bug, tuning down the smoke on the 166s exhaust, adding lighting to RT's tunnels and DTG changed the 166's chimes from 1 to 3 as the doors open and added the door closing alarm that was previously absent. Oh, and we can't forget the fact that DTG are fixing ALL the diesel-electric physics on the necessary locos. I didn't play the beta. I didn't even own the game for the first 3 months of the games release, the time when you'll see the most bug fixes, yet I have seen enough fixes that proves that DTG care about TSW. I'm not sure what you expect from a developer that is nowhere near the size of a AAA game developer. You have to release that they try there best, but these bug fixes take time. Fix one bug, make another. And if DTG didn't release new DLC in the meantime, people would lose interest and they wouldn't be able to fund any bug fixes.

• Like Like x 6
  21. keksman

Independend on what are included in core improvements - it doesent disprove my points in any way.

Ant Craft, All these bugs shouldnt have been at the release of the dlc in the first place. And again, those are paid dlc's you are talking about. Im talking about feature additions to the base game overall.
    "tuning down the smoke on the 166s exhaust", are you serious?

Take Fernbus Simulator as an example. Maybe some of you guys played it at release. There has been alot of patches to the game including bugfixes, performance improvements AND great feature additions like force feedback, new passengers, reworked sounds and visuals and alot of other small things like a radio or the ability to change the seat position. They even released a free map dlc - something DTG never ever did before.
    Someone who hasnt played fernbus since release would notice those changes heavily.

• Like Like x 1
  22. TrainSim-Luke

I thought it did actually, since your points were that we haven't done any bugfix updates or content additions.

• Like Like x 6
  23. keksman

I think we misunderstood each other partially? I havent talked about missing bugfixes at all. All I have been trying to point out are 0 content/feature additions through the whole TSW development cycle. And in this aspect, nobody has proved me wrong.

24. TrainSim-Luke

So... apparently after re-defining the meaning of core improvements and bug fixes, we're now also not counting the GP40-2, Great Western Express, Northeast Corridor, Rapid Transit or West Somerset Railway as content additions... ?

• Like Like x 3
  25. keksman

26. DaveTrain99

DaveTrain99 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  27. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

So you want free stuff from the main devs? Maybe you shouldn't be playing train sims at all then, because if you want what you call "core improvements" and "content/feature additions" to fit your standards of free and 'does exactly what I want'....no train sim is like that. Your philosophy for how this stuff "should" work is so fundamentally out of touch with how it actually does work that you are not going to be happy with what's here.

As such, I disagree with your standards, but that clearly doesn't matter. If you think you are in the right with your fantasies...that's you own loss. Good luck in finding further disappointment. Not that it'll be hard for you.

• Like Like x 5
  28. keksman

I dont get what your problem is exactly? Calm down... All I did was asking for a alternative to TSW and I proceeded to answer to questions/comments related to my opinion.

If its fine for you to support the seemingly endless cycle of a released dlc with one map and one or two trains followed by bugfixes for this dlc - well its your decision. But dont talk about things you dont know anything about. Free content additions are a part of every development. (especially if the time frame is as big as TSW's)
    Theres not a single game who didnt get a single feature over such huge development time while the devs continuously release multiple paid dlcs AND praise a console port as a huge announcement.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Anthony Pecoraro

Ha! You just admitted that there are bug fixes!

• Like Like x 2
  30. keksman

Dyslexia?

31. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

why dont you just leave?

unless you want the attention?

we know stuff is coming eg: editor, PIS, maybe MP - but if the wait is too long for you then goodbye?

• Like Like x 5
  32. DaveTrain99

DaveTrain99 Well-Known Member

And don't let the door hit your but hurt ass on the way out

• Like Like x 4
  33. keksman

What do you mean? I just answered questions and comments related to my comments?

• Like Like x 1
  34. MarkL

MarkL Member

In the grand scheme of things keksman is right.
    I got TSW back in December and it is still the same as it was back then. I don't want new free stuff. I want the "core" stuff that was already missing and it still is: Proper derailments, cab sway, proper wheel adhesion (wheel slip), a 2-D map with labels. Also the world and scenario editor; the two things that have been so extensively discussed. These are important and universal features, regardless of what DLC you own. Core features. They were present even in Rail Simulator back in 2007 but for TSW, we don't know if and when they are coming.

What we do know is that we will have a new route every three months, with two or three rounds of bugfixes-patches for it in the months following the release. Also bugfixes and improvements for the engine and that's it. The only exciting change I have seen lately are the physics improvements for the 66 and the HST.

To a simmer that is not "inspiring" at all. I have to choose between more realistic, challenging physics but mediocre graphics (TSXX) or amazing graphics and barely passing physics (TSW). It's a bummer because TSW should actually be better than TS in this regard. People searching for alternatives is perfectly understandable.

• Like Like x 4
  35. Anthony Pecoraro

All Diesel-Electric locomotives are getting the physics, derailments aren’t allowed due to licensing. The reason we get more and more DLC instead of features currently is because we the players need new DLCs to keep the interest, while they work on the new features. Those features are promised to us, and they will come, just be patient.

• Like Like x 1
  36. darkage

darkage Member

Ok I have to say this, it's because of people like you, who don't bother for a single second to look for this information, that so many people are misinformed and start making up stupid conspiracy theories just to fit their own non-informed/misinformed narratives.

If you, and other people that say the same as you, even bothered to read the dovetail live articles, and try watching the twitch VODs of the DTG channel, and some in Matt's channel, you'd see that all your questions have already been answered several times, it is you, and people who the same attitude as you whoa re at fault here and then start critizing in a way you just have no reason to.

Now let me see, you'll argue that "unlike you I ahve a life, I work, I have family, I don't have time for that", well guess what, there's other people in the community in the same situation as yours who use their own free time to look for information. Now don't use that as an excuse, trying to not to sound like a jerk (or at least too much lol) it's not our fault you can't manage yoru time properly to fit everything in. Or maybe I'm wrong and you do have time, you just don't care or try looking for it and then expect others to do all the "homework" for you and give it to you when you demand it.

• Like Like x 2
  37. TrainSim-Luke

Ok, that's enough now. I have my hands full enough keeping arguments stemmed on the Steam forums, I don't need this here too.
    There is a lot of misinformation, or should I say a lack of information, out there on these topics and I will be working towards communicating these topics clearer to a wider audience in future.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.