More Double Headed Freight On German Routes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Jul 23, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. I don't care

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. No

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Currently there isn't a lot of double headed freight on German routes, just on MSB if I recall correctly. Now to a certain degree this is realistic, as a large majority of trains has just one locomotive. However, it would be nice to see 1 or 2 services per route that allow you to play slightly longer trains with two locomotives. I'd especially like to play a double headed freight service with the MRCE BR 182. The 143 and 112 that are sometimes rented out on freight services by DB (as a lot of these locos are surplus) also operate in pairs of two a lot, although I don't know whether this is due to reliability issues (the 143s were overhauled by west German repair crews that understood nothing about the somewhat chaotic way the 143s had been wired at LEW Hennigsdorf back in the DDR times, leading to a tendency to suddenly catch fire) or due to a lack of power.

Also, on RRO certain services can't get up the gradient from Hagen to Wuppertal, as the route lacks double headers it would be really good to see them on these few heavy services.

Anyhow, seeing a few more double headed freight services on German routes wouldn't hurt.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and for some routes like Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen this likely done to bypass a Steep Ramp towards Belgium which are Aachen Süd or the Montzen route. If not they're forced to couple to a Schiebelokomotive like DB BR363 218 and 232 towards Belgium then return to Aachen Hbf.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ben132465798

Ben132465798 Well-Known Member

But before we get double headers, the trains need to get longer, if not, it doesn't make any sense

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

The problem is the European routes where Buffers and Chains will snap at some point. Exception to them are the long trains with C-Akv couplers DB BR189 Sweden Norway Finland former soviet union LHS Poland SA-3 couplers