Hma Framerate Slower After Upgrade To Pc? Weird.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paul.pavlinovich, Jul 24, 2021.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I have an interesting occurrence, I was hitting 60fps fairly reliably with 2K at 150% most of the time in most routes (apart from HMA which was lucky to hit 30 in the big yard). Since my tax return provided an unexpected bonus this year due to being able to claim working from home expenses I did what every gamer does and buys more hardware instead of paying off credit cards :).

Anyway I went from an 10th gen i5-10700K to a 10th gen i9-10850K and I also updated from the budget mobo I had to a mid range designed for nvidia. The new mobo happily overclocks everything. In benchmarking I've gone through the roof.

I expected my frame rates to improve considerably across the board and in most games they have. TSW2 though is a tad weird, on most routes when I uncapped the framerate I saw an increase with many getting into the 90's and even into the 100's when in open areas. All of them have been at least a little better in the busy parts of the line. Except one HMA now is lucky to get over 20 and most of the time sits in the teens at Hamburg. Its still playable and its definitely smoother with less visible stutters and hitches but why did the framerate go down when everything else went up. Its got me flummoxed.

Any thoughts?

Paul

2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Did a DX12 flag get flipped somewhere?

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. paul.pavlinovich

No I'm still using DX11 with TSW2. I tried DX12 for a while but some of the "interesting" things that happen keep me on DX11.

Paul

4. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

The change from a 10700K to a 10850K is more of a side-grade than an upgrade for gaming (see the gaming benchmarks). There is no reason for it to give you much better FPS but also no reason to give you much worse. If anything, you should have a better experience if you stream and play at the same time (ie, you are not using another PC to capture the video when you do your streams).

I'm guessing you have probably made a new OS install, so check if you have changed something in your configurations. Examples:
    1. Check your gpu fan speed curve.
    2. Make a profile in the nvidia configuration panel to always go max performance while running TSW2.
    Also there is no reason for you to go from 60 fps to 90 fps everything else being equal. That might have something to do with where you are looking at in TSW2. For example, a few weeks ago I noticed while stopped at a station in HMA that if I was looking forward I was getting like 40fps (2K, 125% with a 1080Ti) but if i just looked thru the door window on the right I would get more than 90. So, to directly compare your framerates in TSW2 you need to be in the same spot looking exactly in the same direction.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. paul.pavlinovich

Thanks for the suggestions mate, the card normally hits 100% (or close to it) with all the DLC except HMA. In HMA its sitting at about 80% - only HMA none of the other DLC do this so its not a machine or game setting, its something about HMA.

Interestingly the upgrade has made a significant noticeable difference across the board with much better frame rates everywhere in all games except HMA.

Paul

6. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

you nvidia RTX 3080TI?

7. paul.pavlinovich

Nvidia 3070 although GPU-Z identifies it as a 3070TI as does Gigabytes bios updater. Officially its a GV-N3070GAMING OC-8GD https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3070GAMING-OC-8GD-rev-10#kf
    I kind of think these are detuned TI's. Even though its supposed to be an OC board I don't OC it, it gets hot enough running normally!!

Paul

8. fanta1682002

why not buy asua

9. paul.pavlinovich

I assume you mean ASUS? Why? One Chinese brand isn't really better than any other, that and their hardware is almost non existent at Australian retailers.

10. fanta1682002

no china is taiwan

11. paul.pavlinovich

I'm not getting into a political or brand debate with you lol. I buy what I can afford that will do the job and is available locally, that's it. I have zero brand loyalty.