Cane Creek-is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthew.miles1990, Jul 13, 2021.

1. matthew.miles1990

matthew.miles1990 New Member

Having completed most of the timetables in Clinchfield I’m thinking about my next purchase.
    I’ve got an old Xbox one and am worried that it hasn’t enough guts to fully accomodate the Cane Creek route.
    To add to my dilemma there’s no reviews of it on the Microsoft store site.
    As the long overdue sale is on my alternative is the cheaper Arosaline route.
    So in my situation which would you choose?

2. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I would say Arosalinie as Xbox DLC sales aren't a regular thing for TSW. It's something a bit different for passenger as you are running on the road and then having to climb up a mountain (and down can be a little daunting on your first few services).

Cane Creek I am enjoying for the new environment. I expect performance isn't going to be much different from Clinchfield. It doesn't have a lot of services running at once so that helps. It also has locos that are already in SPG. So if you really want the UP liveries and new environment type then that may be for you.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  3. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

It's really good

4. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Why is that ?

5. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

Out of Cane Creek or Arosalinie, there's a clear winner, especially if you enjoyed Clinchfield... Cane Creek by miles.

Arosalinie is a lovely looking route, but I've hardly touched it since release day. There's something about it that's a bit... Meh. Cane Creek, however, whilst you've got to commit a decent amount of time to it if you're going to go from one end to the other, is a good looking, nicely put together route - the scenery is stunning, and whilst only a single line track for most of the way at speeds of around 25mph, you need to concentrate. I'm a fan of freight runs, and thoroughly enjoyed Sand Patch Grade (and Clinchfield, although I've not run that as much as SPG), and this is a similar beast.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

Cane Creek is VERY picky about details, in addition to the bugs. You can destroy 90 minutes worth of work by simply not setting a converging switch correctly and derailing... More so than other routes it seems to me. But I take it in stride and attribute it to "realism," paying close attention to the small details instead of getting frustrated.

• Like Like x 2
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Although it looks good and has no more than the usual quantum of bugs, there are few services, 5 of the advertised 12 "scenarios" aren't, and most importantly there is no new rolling stock (and of the recycles, the AC4400 is modeled incorrectly and the dirt-train hoppers are simply wrong).

Nice scenery isn't enough.

8. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

At £16.24 in the latest sale, I would say most definitely especially as it was only released less than four weeks ago.

9. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Mmmmm, these were exactly the sorts of concerns that had me holding back and seeing what others had to say about it, even on sale at this price.

10. Princess Entrapta

I do think for a route that relies heavily on visuals, the question of it living up to that promise is how well they have upped the draw distance on the forthcoming console upgrade, to bring it in line with PC.

11. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The Draw Distance textures are broken
    48A96764-A3EE-4730-A9F6-82C3D3795BAC.jpeg

12. Princess Entrapta

Yeah, I was aware of the vanishing horizon and buggy low res mess after watching gameplay footage on PC vs console. So even if I was to buy it, it'd essentially be preordering a good version for when the overhauled console version releases, it would not be something I'd attempt to play in the near future. As right now it's only available in the flavours of hideous low res texture pop (XBox One), hideous low res texture pop at 60FPS (Series S), and hideous low res texture pop at 60fps, but *sharper* (Series X)

So it comes down to "Do I use my £15 of XBox store credit to grab this for play after the dedicated Series X update goes live?"
    On the one hand, I prefer to buy something knowing for certain that it's going to meet my quality standards. On the other, it's unlikely to be at this price again for some time after the graphical overhaul.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  13. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I played on Xbox Series X with 4K UHD TV but it looks like Trash, but this problem has all routes because it used the XBOX One Version and this Hardware is 8 Years Old.

14. Princess Entrapta

The thing with a lot of other routes is that you spend a lot of time boxed in by tree lined cuttings, buildings, etc. The distance rendering problems with the XBox One version REALLY become noticeable on routes like this where you have a clear line of sight.

15. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Ya this happened to me as well, at least it was at the start of the route for me

• Like Like x 1
  16. seniorgamer#7480

seniorgamer#7480 New Member

Very true, I try to save games at various points so I don’t have to redo, but the game has issues when reloaded from a saved version. I did manage to progress to the end of the seven mile to Potash scenario, using saved games to recover, but a train appeared on the track where it should have been. Maybe I dumped off off some card where I should not have

17. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I don’t mean to be annoying by bumping this thread - I’m considering getting cane creek , I’m on Xbox series x , would anyone recommend it ?

18. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

If it is the only american freight route you don't have in collection then: Yes
    Otherwise there are better choices how to spend your limited resources.

• Like Like x 2
  19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think Cane Creek is arguably the most beautiful route in TSW. However, it is sadly the case that there isn't a whole lot of gameplay variety. If you don't yet have Clinchfield, I would recommend getting that instead.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LeXXuz

LeXXuz Member

I bought and played Cane Creek recently. I wouldn't recommend it as it's quite dull compared to other freight routes like Sand Patch Grade. The route hasn't much diversity to offer regarding different services or scenarios. 3 of the scenarios are just 'free 2 play'. Sounded to me like a "we are out of ideas so do what you want" excuse. Furthermore you're 'snailing' with just 20/25mph through the desert for 90% of the route which made me fall asleep quite a few times as its just boring. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1