Immersion And The New Pause Screen

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by November India Charlie, Jul 24, 2021.

1. November India Charlie

November India Charlie New Member

My two cents on the topic: I like the way DTG is going about it, having more info on the pause screen and not on the HUD is definitely better for me. I try to play without the HUD, and to do so, I print the cleanest route map that I can find and take notes on speed limits, gradients and where the signals are. My ideal solutions would be having something like the map I create, or maybe even a full version of the preview of the new pause screen, officialy made by DTG, maybe inside the route manual, to keep on a tablet next to me. That would be just perfect! So it's not on the HUD, and you don't have to pause the game to see it. But maybe it's just me... Anyway, gradients and speeds on the pause screen are great!

• Like Like x 5
  2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Ah -- route manuals! Nostalgia, incorporated. Many of the route manuals (when DTG still bothered to provide them) did include a route map -- rather primitive, but there at least. I sometimes call up such route maps on my second monitor while TSW is running on the first, but that really doesn't help much, since gradients and speed limits aren't included. I'm looking forward to being able to see a map overlay that can be summoned and dismissed at will.

• Like Like x 2
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I agree, I think the easiest solution would be to stitch togheter screenshots in order to have a complete view of the route, I think I will still continue to use the community-made Buchfahrplans for the german routes, but it's going to be great for everything else, especially the gradient thing for US Freight. Due to the 20+ seconds needed to switch from power to dynamic brakes having better situational awareness will improve gameplay immensely and I will finally be able to get rid of the Speedometer part of the HUD in order to have gradient information :D

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

If you look at what’s already been done in the third-party scene for other games, they’ve got custom maps, real-time coordinate tracking, overlays, custom UIs, etc.

I have no issue with the pause screen, but it would be interesting to have:
    • both a route map and a mini-map window, which let us filter which details appear on them.
    • a text-based schedule as a transparent overlay.
    • a way to move those windows to a second monitor.
    • an actual head up display on the window showing minimal info, so you wouldn’t have to look away from the track as much.
    Icing on that cake could include:
    • augmented reality for signs and signals. (Could help with nighttime driving, or make an interesting trainer for safely systems such as PZB.)
    • tooltips for map signals with details why a signal is red.
    • access to real time data from SimuGraph.
    None of this is displeasure with the current or new UI. Simply a hope that train sims could catch up with what other games (and modders) have been able to do.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

The schedule is already available as an overlay - on PC press T, and on controllers there's a button you can hold to toggle it :)

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  6. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

Nice, thank you!

I should buy the TSW 2 Strategy Guide! :D

7. November India Charlie

November India Charlie New Member

Did this for Sand Patch Grade, not sure if it can be of any help or if it looks kinda clear to read... For freight locos knowing what's next is pretty fondamental indeed! Yes LastTrainToClarksville , I've downloaded every manual I could find and scouted for every map that's on the net! And oh, how I miss game manuals... FD1003 yes, getting rid of the HUD boosts the immersion immensly. Maybe I should take screenshots of the pause map for the whole route and paste it together, then I'll use it on a tablet next to me... Will see! Thanks for the replies anyone!

• Like Like x 1
  8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, I actually have a second monitor mainly for stuff like that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

We need something like that, but for the gradient / speed screen so we can just press a key, take a fast look and get it out of the way without having to interrupt the game.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

The T button overlay has one issue however - for some reason, around 50% of the time it cannot be scrolled, the scroll bar is inactive.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

It's a shame you often cannot scroll through the T-schedule list. Is that intended behaviour?

12. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

you can scroll through

13. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

at least can't on console.

• Like Like x 2
  14. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

That's fixed in the update too.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1