Even Greater Need For User Manuals!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Jul 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I've just been watching last Thursday's live-stream and feeling both amazed and confused by Matt's rapid review of some of the many new options that will soon become available. My first thought was that we ought to be provided with a tutorial that just covers all of the available options -- both old and new; but like most tutorials, I'd find myself forgetting the early points before I'd even seen the later ones. This means that a manual will more than ever be a necessity, not a luxury.

My computer setup includes two monitors, but rather than spread TSW across them (if that is even possible), I run it on my larger monitor and, when I feel the need, use the smaller monitor to display users' manuals, guides, etc. Of course, manuals that do not exist because DTG seems to have decided that they are no longer needed or helpful cannot be utilized in this way.

So, I'd like to see DTG start catching up on missing manuals and include their production in the roadmaps. In fact, I challenge them to do just this. How about it?

• Like Like x 7
  2. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Somehow, since improving manuals has been put on the roadmap, I feel like the exact opposite has happened - not only that manuals did not get better, they vanished completely. And with how DTG seems to work, we certainly will not get any manuals for routes already released that miss them. I haven't checked it, so don't take my words for granted, but none of the recent releases came with a manual. Even some of the community managed to make decent manuals, even with maps and such, but from the official side.... :(
    I join in on your challenge, I hope some noise will lead to changes :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I would always read a manual before playing a new route. Although they weren't perfect, I always found them really informative. Without the manual for MSB, I don't think I would have ever learnt PZB and German signalling - it was invaluable to me as a new player! Like yourself, I would often have it displayed on another screen for quick reference.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They could have perfect manuals. They just need someone to write them. Someone to gather all the relevant details and write a manual covering the exact procedures for each train and route. They could even have a dedicated in-house manual writer. There must be someone out there who has the skills and is available. That is of course if DTG is looking for someone to do it. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. Who knows? I’ve not seen a job advertised.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

The problem that I have is I can't find the manual that they even have. I have steered away from the German routes since its signaling and the use of PZB and LZB have frustrated me and, though, I have watched Matts video several times can't remember all of it when playing.

6. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

I was just wondering, would it be at all possible to include tutorial scenarios that cover ALL aspects of what does what...and maybe delayed "do this, do that" prompts (with a subtitle saying what is required) to enable the user to have a go before been shown what to do? The current process isn't particularly informative because you're being told what to do without really learning what to do - and with the ability to easily undo any incorrect decision it's not like an ongoing process of tuition would be broken.
    Manuals are great for reading in the bath but I, as a relatively novice user, would personally find running a train on, say, SPG at 30mph with a whole bunch of requests (in the form of an interactive manual) a whole lot more intuitive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2021
  7. lukereynolds1

It is really tricky at first. Here is the link to the MSB manual. I had to read it slowly and keep testing it out in game for it to sink into, but I've finally got there. I hope you find it useful.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw2KpEhGpNkfTLnnUqElKGkR

8. lukereynolds1

Although the manual is specific to MSB, the theory can be applied to other German routes. It doesn't contain information on LZB unfortunately, as it wasn't implemented in the game when MSB was released

9. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link and info that I still have to puzzle out PZB if I want to fully run the German routes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There certainly have been good, comprehensive user manuals. I have a set on my desk for all of what are now called the Preserved Routes and their locos, including CSX HH (SPG), East Coastway, GWE and some locos like the Class 31 among others, which I refer to from time to time. I believe there were people writing manuals who may have left the company or been reassigned.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I intend to use the Epic games version to work on an update for the TSW2 Starters Guide. I also will update ToolkitForTSW as soon as possible. The EGS version gives me a bit earlier access, so it may be possible the updates will be available before release of the Core Upgrade at steam. No promise, though ...

• Like Like x 2