Great Western Mainline: Reading - Oxford & Swindon.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Jul 17, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

86.4%
  2. Maybe/Not Sure

6.8%
  3. No

6.8%
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Introduction
    The Great Western Mainline is a scenic and Historic route connecting London to Wales and the West Country. Operated primarily by GWR (Great Western Railway) in the stylish Green Livery, with Classic stock such as the HST (Class 43).

The route in this suggestion is Reading - Oxford and Chippenham. Across 68 miles and serving 12 stations. Set in 2015 like the original GWE.

"Welcome to the Great Western Mainline, this historic mainline connecting London to Wales and the West Country. Serve the line between Reading and Chippenham, and to wonderful Oxford, with the classic Class 43, and the Class 166."

Rolling Stock
    Included
    Class 43 HST (Ideally both liveries)
    20180914180433_1.jpg maxresdefault (2).jpg
    Class 166 'Networker Turbo' (Upgraded) (Ideally both liveries)
    20180914180820_1.jpg TSW2_-_FGW_Class_166_(Unused).jpg

Upgrades: Train Destination Boards, In-train PIS, others to make train up to better standards.

Regarding FGW Images; The images were taken with the FGW Enable mod. The images however are not mine. I suggest both liveries to be enabled, not necessarily made.

Potential DLC:
    N/A

Layers (In)
    I'd imagine the 66 layers here.

Layers (Out)
    N/A

Re-use of Rolling Stock:

(From other routes)

The Class 43 would be re-using the Class 43 from Great Western Express.

As would the Class 166, however the latter I think should be upgraded.

(From this route):

Class 166

The Class 166 Upgrades would have the possibility of being able to be applied to GWE.

Stations
    Reading - Chippenham (56 miles)

Distances from Reading. For distance from London Paddington add 36.
    Reading (0 miles)
    Tilehurst (2¼ miles)
    Pangbourne (5½ miles)
    Goring & Streatley (8¾ miles)
    Chosley (12½ miles)
    Didcot Parkway (17 miles)
    Swindon (41¼ miles)
    Chippenham (58 miles)

Didcot Parkway - Oxford (10⅜ miles)

Didcot Parkway (0 miles)

Appleford (2 miles)
    Culham (3 miles)
    Radley (5¼ miles)
    Oxford (10⅜ miles)

Entire Line: 68 Miles/12 Stations

Services
    Express (Class 43)
    (Using 2020 timetable information. Expect a few innaccuracies)

• 1tph Paddington (Reading) - Cardiff (Swindon) (Calling at Reading & Swindon) Some trains call at Didcot Parkway.
      AI only: Swindon - Chippenham
    • 1tph Paddington (Reading) - Swansea (Swindon) (Calling at Reading & Swindon) AI only: Swindon - Chippenham
    • 1tph Paddington (Reading) - Bristol (Chippenham) (Calling at Reading, Didcot Parkway, Swindon & Chippenham)
    • 1tph Paddington (Reading) - Oxford (Calling at Reading & Oxford)
    • 1tph Paddington (Reading) - Great Malvern (Oxford) (Calling at Reading & Oxford)
    • 1tph Paddington (Reading) - Cheltenham Spa (Swindon) (Calling at Reading, Didcot Parkway & Swindon) AI only: Swindon - Chippenham
    Stopping Services (Class 166)
    • 1tph Paddington (Reading) - Didcot Parkway (Calling all intermediate stations)
    • 1tph Didcot Parkway - Oxford (Non-stop)
    • 1tp2h Didcot Parkway - Oxford (Radley only) (Operates in hour that Banbury service (below) isn't)
    • 1tp2h Didcot Parkway - Banbury (Oxford) (All intermediate stations) (Operates in hour that Oxford service (above) isn't)
    AI Only services
    • 1tp2h Paddington - Exeter (only stops at Reading in-game) (HST)
    • 1tp2h Paddington - Plymouth (only stops at Reading in-game) (HST)
    • 1tp2h Paddington - Penzance (only stops at Reading in-game) (HST)
    • 1tph Paddington - Bedwyn (only stops at Reading in-game) (166)
    • 1tp2h Paddington - Newbury (only stops at Reading in-game) (166)
    • 1tph Reading - Newbury (only stops at Reading in-game) (166)
    Depot
    This route has one depot, Reading TMD. This looks after the 166s.

GWE
    As most people will know, this route connects with Great Western Express (GWE) at Reading.

These routes could be connected in a system of: "so you have both? Cool, here, have a merger."

Or, to actually explain it, if you have both GWE and This route, you receive a free merger of GWE & This. Forming London Paddington - Oxford & Chippenham.

Final Words

So why this route?
    Well, I feel like this would add to the GWE 'Experience'.

I've set the route in 2015, like the previous route, and if, and only if, GWR would allow for it, perhaps have the FGW Liveries added as well? I realise this may not be possible, but it would really add to the route. And then, if possible, they could be added to GWE as well. Now we have the ability to use alternate liveries easily I doubt this would be too much of a practical problem.

As for Rolling Stock; I've chosen to use the exact same trains. Why? I hear someone typing, well, it's simple. The route is quite lengthy, and reducing the time required to make Locos, helps make this more Practical.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent proposal but First Great Western will shut the idea of the Purple FGW Paint. That's why we're left with the green paint. For AI Services Bedwyn is a Class 166

• Like Like x 2
  3. trainsimplayer

I'm not sure about the FGW thing.

I feel the reason they shut it down back with GWE was because GWR was a new brand, and this new game - the next gen of train simulators - approached them to make them the first UK route.

They'd obviously try use that as an opportunity to show off this new brand. Now years have passed I think they might be more open to it.

As for the Bedwyn services my sources say it's a InterCity service, and thus HST.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

*Insert tantrum about reused trains*

Only joking, I think this a great idea especially if it could be merged in the future and as the trains are the same in real life I wouldn't mind them being reused :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Take my money. I think DTG have not seen the potential in this route.

• Like Like x 5
  6. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Would be great to have in TSW. Take my money

• Like Like x 3
  7. steve08

steve08 Guest

Why not intercity class 125 and class 166 in great western link like this

upload_2021-7-28_21-41-6.jpeg
    And

upload_2021-7-28_21-42-12.jpeg

Cross country run between reading and oxford so some voyager class trains would also be good

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. trainsimplayer

Have a look at my closing words section again and you'll see why :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. SJA

SJA Active Member

I thought that was a more modern development, using the IETs for Bedwyn on more recent services since their introduction (same for Paddington to Oxford fast services)? I could be miles off though... I just don't remember an actual HST being used for it :)

I suppose there is some room to suspend reality but people tend to complain.

10. trainsimplayer

By InterCity I did mean GWR' Intercity services, and due to a lack of data I just decided for my own ease that IET services I'd just call HST.

11. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

180s did Oxford services, idk if they were used in the specified time though

12. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

The Bedwyn services were turbos not HSTs. It’s possible a couple of services may have been HSTs (I can’t remember) but nearly all, if not all, were turbos. Bizarrely, there was a morning HST Paddington to Reading stopper service- stopping at Ealing, Southall, Hayes, West Drayton, Slough, Maidenhead, Twyford and Reading. Then from memory it ran non-stop back to Paddington before continuing on intercity services. So it’s quite possible there may have been some other odd HST services such as to Bedwyn.

The 5 Class 180s that GWR had ran from 2012 to late 2017 so fits within the period. The Class 180s then went to Grand Central who got rid of their HSTs. I think the Class 180 would be a wonderful edition to TSW. We’ve got a lack of DMUs/DEMUs and the Class 180 is a very unique train with a unique driving experience. Apart from the early days, the Class 180s ran exclusively on the Oxford/Cotsworld services so it would make perfect sense for it to come with the route extension to Oxford.

A598D325-7BC0-4420-AC0B-16ED9354462B.jpeg

Can’t really mention the Class 180 without linking this video... “You’ll be going nowhere”

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

His face when he talks about the comms button not lighting up. That’s the best bit of telly I’ve seen for years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

Paul is a real classic, isn’t he

15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I said no simply because I think there are much more interesting parts of the GWR route, let alone the west country in general that would bring more to the game than "extend the 43s & 166s".
    Go out to Cardiff and bring in some 158s and 170s.
    Go to Bristol and add in a load of sprinters, or a voyager
    Extending from Reading out is just more "green lights into London"...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mark newman

Mark newman Well-Known Member

Great Western Railway with on looking class 800 and 387 duq7076gs1u51.jpg

17. trainsimplayer

It could be argued that West Cornwall will have a similar feel to that, however this suggestion is, just a suggestion. I'm glad however for the feedback.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  18. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Do that and for the included Class 158 it's going to serve as the base for Manchester Victoria to Leeds City via Halifax Bradford Calder Valley Line route. Where GWR Transport for Wales livery is replaced by Northern Rail

19. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Exactly... sprinters and so on are the core of much of the "non-London" train scene in the UK so could be used almost anywhere outside the South East, and we already have the Electrostars and Networkers to cover those areas anyway (with obvious tweaking needed for variations)

Unfortunately DTG do seem to have a tendency to rebuild everything from scratch

• Like Like x 1