Share Your Beloved Railway Journeys

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gustavo - The RailWorker, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Gustavo - The RailWorker

Gustavo - The RailWorker Member

We all had our best moments of Railway Journeys those times that we can't forget - those good moments of our lives.

times that are markable on our lives.

(it's a Thread to share your favorite Railway Journeys)

maybe in your railway journeys your one of those kinds of players that is also a photographer and takes pictures of stations and collects - that can be a great hobby!

of course, it's open for those who like to share with others and also would like to come back to reread what has happened how people thought of your comments

Please be Respectful - I think I don't need to write that you know why...

by: Gustavo - The RailWorker

I'm always trying to expand the train sim world with new ways to talk / suggestions / off topics | and much more

Train Sim World is Special for me!
    &
    I promise I'm never done...

• Like Like x 4
  2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I can remember taking a trip to Wrexham mid week in the 1980's to go to a football match. There were train strikes at the time so we thought we had no way to get back, most indeed had travelled by car/coach.

After the game we went back to the station and there was a few of us trying to get back to the south/London and we found a nice clean HST 125 had been laid on for for us to get to London. We were stuck in London though for the night, lol. Wouldn't say it was the 'Best' Railway Journey but it was memorable, for us few anyway.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

My first mainline American Train ride was 2004 NJ Transit Northeast Corridor line Arrow III New Brunswick to NY Penn Round Trip service. Those had a side led destination panel that said NY Penn Station. At Edison Station the south bound train was a 10 car ALP-46 4600-4628 2001-2002 build towards Trenton.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Moved into off topic.

5. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

Two journeys stand out for me.

Summer 2012 - Toronto to Vancouver on Via Rail and the Rocky Mountaineer and then the Whistler Mountaineer up to the resort of Whistler. Absolutely stunning scenery and a trip of a lifetime down the spiral tunnels riding on the open verandah at the back of the coach listening to the dynamic brakes fighting the train the whole way down. I do have some photos that I will dig out.

Much earlier in my school days we had a summer term pretty much destroyed by teachers strikes. The lower sets were simply given the time off but those doing O-Levels (yes that dates me somewhat) had to attend for a much reduced timetable. The teachers were not that interested and some were simply babysitting classes they knew nothing about ie. physics so no practical work. It didn't take long for us to start getting our registration mark and heading into town so the senior year masters and mistresses were stationed at the shopping centres to make us return to school.

What they didn't bargain for was the chippy that did breakfasts for the bus drivers near the depot. So we used to scoot down there and convert our lunch money into a bag of chips. Then take a DMU from Lawrence Hill to Severn Tunnel Junction or Newport for a day of trainspotting before getting a train back in time to be collected from school at the normal time. Nobody actually got caught since unbelievably BR ran to timetable most days and we had it all figured out.

Over the course of Easter to the end of term in July we went over at least 3 days each week. Soon we had made contacts at the stabling point and when the big bosses weren't around had the chance to use the TOPS terminal to track down elusive locos we were keen to see. I still have the printed instructions somewhere showing how to do a loco enquiry to find out when it would be on Bath Road shed for scheduled maintenance.

Happy days indeed. Would it happen these days? Not a chance.

• Like Like x 2
  6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

My dad was an Ex rail employee (Ex Crewe Works) & we both got free rail passes as a result of this, he said one day when I was 12/13 lets jump on a train and go to Edinburgh so we did, we went up the WCML then came back down the ECML then across I think from somewhere like York maybe back to Cheshire.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Another journey I remember was one where I was supposed to go to Cambridge again mid Eighties. Travelled with two other guys and we had to change at Liverpool Street If I recall correctly, that was as far as I got but the two other guys that were with me later told me they boarded the train to Cambridge and the train was delayed for two hours.

Apparently the train slowed down and must of come to a halt where a woman decided it was her stop and got out the train and fell. The Train then started and took her foot off. Then I assume it was delayed why the Emergency services rescued the woman and her foot. Still think about it and I wasn't even on it, lol.

8. r4g3nony

r4g3nony Active Member

A journey I'll never forget is Kalka-Shimla that 4hr journey on a heritage 762 mm narrow guage railway line between Kalka and Shimla in India is a thing of beauty. It begins in Kalka on the foot of Himalayan Mountains and climbs up the hills on a winding, track tight curves, steep grads, historical viaducts, stations and tunnels. The 95km line opened in November 1903 have 20 stations,103 tunnels, 969 bridges, and 3% gradient. The total climb is 1419 meters (4,656 ft). 20140601_140148.jpg Pictures of shimla 019.jpg Pictures of shimla 028.jpg Pictures of shimla 031.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

My favourite memory is from my teens (many years ago!) when I first travelled to the West Country by train. I was unaware of the Dawlish seawall and when the train came round the corner from the Exe to meet the sea, I was truly gobsmacked.

Now I live in Devon, I still enjoy that 10 - 15 minutes when the train travels along the Exe, alongside the sea wall, through the tunnels and finally up the Teign.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

My god that is beautiful!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

My favourite railway is the Kalka Shimla's cousin to the south: The Nilgiri Mountain Railway (The Blue mountain railway).Also in India, It goes from Metupalliyam (sea level) to Ooty: a world famous hill station at 2500m (about 6,000ft)

The train consists of 3 narrow gauge coaches with a class X steam locomotive hauling the train from behind. It is one of the steepest railways in Asia, hence it uses racks to aid the steam locomotive.

I can go on forever about this magical railway line, but I know for a fact that most will just click off. Instead, let Google Earth do the talking!
    (Yep, the Nilgiri mountain railway and the Kalka Shimla line have full 3D views on Google Earth!)

https://earth.google.com/web/@11.32...r/data=IhoKFkVsblhPeVp2bXhGQmxwM0prZl9Zc1EQAg

https://earth.google.com/web/@11.32...r/data=IhoKFmZtbXMxQXlHVkVGZnNJWm15QkFvTlEQAg

https://earth.google.com/web/@11.37...r/data=IhoKFm1vSVAtcXBVQlBtNkdMa3gwa1ZqemcQAg

https://earth.google.com/web/@11.37...r/data=IhoKFjk3UXROYk05OHU5QXdobU5VWHRVN3cQAg

https://earth.google.com/web/@11.38...r/data=IhoKFlVrS1E3T01ZTWI1V29GQm5kYWl3Y2cQAg

This railway has a special place in my heart :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. r4g3nony

r4g3nony Active Member

We've a trip planned to ooty in 2020 but then 2020 happened.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

:( :(

• Like Like x 1