Msb Why So Bumpy?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by martschuffing, Jul 24, 2021.

1. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Haven't played this route for several months and I am sure it wasn't as bumpy a ride as that, it's Isle of White line (real) bumpy!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Yes, compared to other routes it's annoyingly bumpy. I don't think this behaviour is correct. In theory MSB will receive an update after the release of Rush Hour, but I have zero confidence this issue is going to be sorted out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gae14

Gae14 Active Member

Routes that were released pre-adhesion patch definitely need some tweaking. Maybe TrainSim-Adam can have a look at this with his team.

For instance, I found routes that already received a first pass at the Preservation team like LIRR needs to have it's track roughness toned it down a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. martschuffing

Had to turn off cab sway in the end!

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The rough tracks are closer to reality than the perfectly smooth rails you see in the game normally. Trains do wobble around quite a lot in reality. In the update soon the amount of cab sway can be turned down or up from the default, so that’s going to make it easier to please everyone with regards to ride roughness simulation. Isle of Wight is far too smooth a ride, that thing should be all over the place. I think MSB is about right for me.

• Like Like x 7
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

MSB as modeled (pre-2017) was a very old stretch of track, not really upgraded since it was rebuilt in the 1950s (and much of that was prewar trackage left in place).

• Like Like x 3
  7. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

For me in this aspect they did a Very good job...i like It a lot ...Just adds realism!

• Like Like x 1
  8. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

I played MSB a while back, driving the dosto. I had to turn camera motion sway off, as it was bouncing around like a boat on water. Luckily in the summer update, they are bringing a new feature on the settings menu to increase or reduce motion sway with a slider.

• Like Like x 3
  9. martschuffing

I would expect that sort of boatiness on the IoW for sure, but it seems massively excessive on MSB.

From 31 minutes in, it ain't choppy in real life, neither did I expect it to be.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I do not see how the bumpiness on MSB would be realistic. If train rides were that bumpy in reality, it would be very unpleasant (even more so for passengers), even roller coaster rides are smoother. I have never seen any cabride video looking that shaky, not even on old disused secondary lines.
    And while I agree that rails are not perfectly smooth, especially when going through junctions, the levels on MSB are just nuts - it feels even worse than the gradient jumps on RRO (which is fortunately an only somewhat local annoyance on RRO). So whatever that track-rendering thing for MSB on the roadmap means, I really hope it will result in a much smoother ride along MSB, can't drive that route with head sway on.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

yeah the bumpiness on the MSB Route ruined it for me, and switching off head shake is not an option as it feels to static for me driving without it. I really hope DTG will finaly fix this.

12. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

MSB is fine imo, If you want to have a bumpy Ride, take a 101 between Bitterfeld and Leipzig Messe on Rapid transit. In real life, its a 200 km/h section, but already 160 makes you think you are on a little boat out on the ocean or your train is falling of the tracks any second...

13. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

There was a time until TSW2 when the track was made uneven just like in real life and the train and bogey would move in relation to the track given the most natural and real movement experience. Than DTG decided its to much work to make the track uneven and bogey move independent of the train chassis anymore, so all the tracks on newer routes where set perfect straight like they are on the 320 Km/h + Chinese high speed or TGV lines and the camera sway was artificially implemented to mimic the lack of train movement over rails.
    When you use the fake camera sway function on older routes that still have the good old "bumpy" track, it will stack up with the trains natural motion over the uneven track, giving a horrible experience. Disable the fake camera sway function for older routes and experience the realistic train sway caused by the track far superior to the artificial camera movment. One of the oldest example , GWE and how beautiful the HST cab moves as 200 km/h over the track, vs any other shaky fake effect of the camera sway function.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I doubt that's true. Track unevennes is just a number value, you don't have to manually make it. Just set track unevennes to a given value and lay the track. So making smooth and uneven track is the same amount of work in the game.

And if you use the fixed outside cam, you can still see the train moving around on the track and each of the cars in your consist "shaking" independently of each other. So I don't see where you get this idea from that the tracks on newer routes are 100% smooth and the cab sway is just a fake effect.

I do agree that certain routes will have better track unevenness settings than other ones (for example, I think the original Sand Patch Grade had the best and most realistic setting, and LIRR is also great), but most of the routes do have them. The only example I can think of that doesn't have any is the Isle of Wight route, and on that you can see that in the cab as well, as the ride is completely smooth. So I don't know where you get this idea from, but I believe it's false.

15. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I like the rough track and wish we'd see more lines with it where realistic. As someone pointed the MSB was old track when the period is set in (pre upgrade) so youd expect it would be more bumpy then it would be today so that video from martschuffing is irrevalent as it was filmed post upgrade.

• Like Like x 2