Personally Not A Fan Of The Names For The Rush Hour Routes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CrazyDash, Jul 21, 2021.

1. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

With the announcement today about Rush Hour routes releasing at separate times, they also now have new names. I'm really not a fan of the names that they came up with. 'London Commuter' for Brighton Mainline sounds really boring and generic for such a mammoth route like the Brighton Mainline. I'm also not a fan of 'Boston Sprinter' for NEC. It just doesn't even sound like a traditional TSW route name. I also dislike the name they have for Bahnstrecke Riesa-Dresden. So what would I change these routes to? Well for NEC, I would change it to 'NEC: Boston' or 'Providence Line'. For Brighton Mainline, literally just call it 'Brighton Mainline'. Same thing for BRD. Change it back to 'Bahnstrecke Riesa-Dresden.' I feel like the name changes were unnecessary.

• Like Like x 23
  2. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're today's smallest issue, but bother me nonetheless

• Like Like x 2
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Im not a fan of the name changes either. London Commuter is too generic and can apply to pretty much every tsw2 route that goes to London, Boston Sprinter is odd as well considering the fact that you also go to Providence, Rhode Island. I would perfer them going back to the oringal names personally

• Like Like x 6
  4. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I must say they are a tad on the weird and cringey side. However they are the least of the many issues, compromises and worries

• Like Like x 5
  5. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Should've left 'London Commuter' as BML, or London to Brighton as that's what everyone sees it as.

Keep it plan and simple, they've not go to make it sound exciting after all it's a train sim, you know what your going to be doing etc

• Like Like x 5
  6. Hidden Donkey

Hidden Donkey Active Member

I like them all

7. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

I don't like the names. The new names make it more difficult for people to reference the routes they are talking about, and for those who are new to the game to understand which route is being discussed. Regardless of what DTG name them, I'm sure most will refer to them as Brighton Mainline etc

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  8. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I definitely agree, I’d prefer for the TSW 1-like names to not return. “Boston Sprinter” could be any somewhat fast MBTA route, “London Commuter” could be literally any route in London, and I don’t feel like remembering the Riesa-Dresden name. On PlayStation, the Cathcart Circle is called Scottish City Commuter. TSW 1 is slowly invading the new game, and we must watch helplessly as it does so.

• Like Like x 4
  9. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

They should just leave them as Bahnstrecke (is that what it was?) Riesa - Dresden (BRD*) Brighton Mainline (BML) & Northeast Corridor: Boston - Providence (NEC:BP)

*Can I point out the irony in "BRD" being on an ex-East German Route.
    Fyi; BRD stands for Bundesrepublik Deutschland, the name of ex-west Germany and now the unified Germany, it's just maximum irony.

• Like Like x 5
  10. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

I agree they should leave the names as they were when they first announced the Rush Hour DLC Season Ticket pass and the routes that came with it back in May of this year.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Although the names are probably least important, I agree the new names are a step backwards. I find the older names much easier to remember.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I didn't even notice the names had changed until this thread, it doesn't bother me though as it makes no difference to me when I'm driving :)

13. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

The route names are still the same on the steam store page. It only seems to reference these new names in the latest article.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I agree. They should continue using the real line name.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Well, in the stream they said DLC using real line names sell less copies, so that's a pretty good reason to change the names. It's a fairly simple change and if that generates more income for them, it's a good move. More sold copies for DTG means they also can afford putting in some extra resources into developing the routes, which hopefully benefits the quality of future DLC.

• Like Like x 3
  16. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Also the name London commuter is misleading; sure, the Bml is a commuter corridor, but so are other lines, like the geml. It has a big suburban network and even a train was named ‘The Essex commuter’.

• Like Like x 1
  17. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

"London Commuter" could probably apply to all the following;
    • MML
    • WAML
    • GEML
    • BML
    • Chatham Mainlin
    • c2c
    • Great Northern Network
    • GWE
    • Overground Network
    • Chiltern Mainline
    • SWML
    • PDL
    • SLN
    • SWR Suburban Lines
    • Thameslink
    • Probably quite a few others
    So yeah quite misleading and too open.

• Like Like x 6
  18. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

"Southern Commuter" would be more appropriate, but I guess the word "London" might draw more people in.
    How about "London Southern Commuter" or "London to Brighton Commuter". "Southern" referring to the primary TOC.
    I doubt there would be another Southern commuter route in the game (Except maybe South London Network which can be called so).

• Like Like x 3
  19. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

And just to get more sales. DTG will try to get every last drop of cash lol. I would feel bad for someone who didn't do reasearch and bought this route thinking it's something else only to get disappointed to find out that it's not what they thought it was.

• Like Like x 3
  20. jolojonasgames

Yeah, if it helps them make more revenue on a route (and in turn allows them to do more work, as they get more money for it) that's an okay tradeoff. Only if there was a way to customize it in your game menu...

The issue I have with the names is that they sound like TSW 2020's first routes, which looking back had a lower quality standard, therefore I associate generic names with a lower quality, although that might not neccesarily be fair.

• Like Like x 2
  21. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Strange that they can even know this, as it would require selling the same route with two different names... You can't compare two products (one with a silly name and one with the route name) as they'd be for different routes and therefore more or less popular on this basis.

• Like Like x 4
  22. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Or do a poll somewhere asking people (even randomers) which they would prefer. Market research can be carried out in several ways

• Like Like x 2
  23. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder that if any of these routes were created in the future what they would name them, and how they would distinguish them compared to BML? I mean at present, for any new players not familiar with UK trains, surely it will cause confusion. Especially when you factor in the older Great Western and Southeastern routes which are London commuter routes too.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Which makes me think that they are just marketing names for the DLC, and the actual route name in-game will be whatever the real world route name is.

25. jolojonasgames

That would be the perfect solution IMO. A compromise between luring more players in with the generic descriptive names, while keeping the in-game menu a bit more 'professional'.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They have the original names on the roadmap too.

27. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

As someone who recently got into the game, I can confirm that I didn't appreciate having to go to the wiki to research where some of the more ambiguously named DLCs ran.

• Like Like x 3