Monitor

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Coastway trainspotter, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Decent monitors are always useful with XBoxes, as you can go for the full RGB colour space, and they're also more likely to support the higher fps caps the new consoles can hit.

What's your budget?
    That'll determine a lot when it comes to features you want. Each will add more to the price.

Resolution - is 4k important to you, or are you cool with supersampling on a 1080p or 1440p screen?
    Higher resolution means higher price, but a lot of the time when gaming on a monitor it'll be smaller than a TV, so a decent supersampled image rendered at 4k and displayed on a lower resolution monitor benefits quite nicely.

Refresh rate - Do you plan on 60Hz gaming? Or 120? Is VRR important to you? It can be useful for handling games that have trouble hitting those targets. It's definitely one to consider for a bunch of games where you may otherwise get a lot of dropped frames.

HDR - how do you feel about dynamic range? It can really make scenes more vibrant, but for actual *proper* VESA HDR, at a minimum of 500+ (Don't bother wasting your time on anything less, none of them are proper HDR) you're looking at again, more expense.

Also consider what kind of technology you want. LCDs are cheaper, but you get what you pay for, while OLEDs are just *chefkiss* but your wallet won't thank you.

3. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

The new LG televisions support HDMI 2.1, and 120hz.

I would recommend one of those for an Xbox series X

4. Princess Entrapta

As a note - aside from my projector, I use monitors almost exclusively in my place. My only TVs are CRTs hooked up to my retro gaming setups. For my budget and personal needs, I went with something cheaper from ASUS which I could buy eight of for under £1500 in order to have the setups in every room that I wanted and to ensure a consistent experience between my desktop, laptop docks, and all my consoles, while sacrificing flashier features that would have been nice, but ultimately would have been limited to a single monitor at that price.

5. Coastway trainspotter

My budget is about £150
    4K would be awesome , but certainly not a priority
    The resolution should be better than my current TV ( I think it’s 1080p )

6. Princess Entrapta

Given the upcoming Series X Quality mode is anticipated to run at sub-60, if you plan on using that, I'd suggest ensuring whatever you get supports VRR, it should be something most decent monitors in that price range can handle, and it will make for a much smoother experience on any title that's not hitting a target of 60. Just be aware that to my knowledge there are currently no HDMI audio extractors that support VRR passthrough, so if your sound system is hooked up somewhere along the way between the XBox and the monitor, it's one or the other and VRR will likely require headphones (I do wish there was a wireless USB speaker option for the XBox like all the headsets we have, as the removal of the optical port is a real pain for audiophiles, since ARC is still a complete mess right now.)

7. Coastway trainspotter

I am most likely to upgrade to series s , I’m not sure how different the game quality would be compared to the series x

8. Princess Entrapta

Handily, I own both consoles, and play them on the exact same model of monitor, so I can offer some experience with direct side by side comparisons.

Visual quality takes a noticeable downgrade on most games on Series S, though on dedicated Series X/S titles like the upcoming TSW2 version, it's not as significant as the hit on backcompat games where the S runs the base XBox One version of the game rather than the enhanced One X versions, and textures take a massive nosedive.

If you are going for Series S, I'd definitely not bother with anything higher than 1440p for your monitor, though tbh, 1080p should do you just fine, you will benefit from supersampling on anything that *does* hit that 1440p target, but let's be honest, most games on Series S don't.

A lot of games, you can expect things like reduced foliage density, shadow quality, and draw distance on Series S, as a compromise to maintain framerates. With games which originally launched last-gen and get updates for the new consoles, often texture quality is fairly comparable once they get a dedicated update, generally bringing both consoles' texture quality up to match the One X patches for those same games, though that is then being pushed out at a lower rendering resolution by the Series S than by the One X and Series X.

When it comes to VRR, your mileage may vary. Right now, Series S tends to be hitting solid framerate locks, due to the compromises made to graphical fidelity. Long-term, that could change as games get more taxing of the new gen hardware.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Princess Entrapta

If you don't wanna go over £150, then you may want something similar to the monitors I use (Again, my budget of £1500 could have got me one REALLY GOOD monitor, 144hz, 32", 4k HDR, or enough perfectly acceptable monitors to have a dual 27" 1080p 75hz monitor setup at every desk, plus one for each of my consoles) or if you think you can push a little over £200, you could grab something capable of displaying the 120fps some games support on Series X and S

10. Coastway trainspotter

What monitor do you use ?

11. Princess Entrapta

I use the ASUS VA27EHE for all my systems (the thin bezel's good for multi monitor desktops, just run some black electrical tape up the back of the gap to ensure no light leaks through from behind the desk), though the VA27DQ is basically the same model with built-in speakers, potentially useful if you want to both enable VRR and still have audio output at the same time on an XBox. It's nothing flashy, only 75hz, no HDR, but it delivers what I need for that price range, I like its black levels and viewing angles, and the low blue light filters are a bonus for me personally. As I was buying them in bulk, they fit my needs perfectly.

When it comes to audio, if you have a sound system that uses the XBox One toslink connector, you can pick up HDMI audio extractors which split the HDMI input into HDMI output and audio output fairly cheap. Just be aware that you will lose VRR capabilities while using one.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Princess Entrapta

Oh, also, if you're interested in other sims like Flight Sim, consider going that extra mile and getting a higher fps monitor with VRR, as that game has an uncapped FPS mode you can replace the default 30fps mode with ONLY when you have a monitor that can handle 120hz and VRR.

13. Coastway trainspotter

Have you got MSFS on Xbox yet ? If so what FPS does it run at ?

14. Princess Entrapta

I have not, but Digital Foundry did a good vid on it.

It's the game that might make it worth it for me to get an XBox compatible HOTAS, which wasn't justified by Elite Dangerous alone.