Awesome Tsw Service Mode Runs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustWentSouth, Dec 4, 2020.

1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Have you tried running it from the perspective of the oil trains involved

2. driverwoods#1787

Ok then. I'll get my 5P16 GWR Run uploaded. That one has a reverse move involved because you must cross the inbound class 166 then proceed to Maidenhead then Paddington Station.

3. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Another great run - such wonderful chaos and lots of AI traffic both ways. The dispatcher did not let the oil train go in front of me at first, but we did an interesting dance out of Huddersfield.

With that we have a set of updates; and more than 150 recommended runs between the regular services and the chaos:

Awesome Services:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YgilvnKZFc7TJXyqftRJ0I5yTMlMf81/view?usp=sharing

Chaos Runs:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMKrwNA2OmZz8tVEQo1_FZnRZXpNT463/view?usp=sharing

• Like Like x 3
  4. penguinmatt#1924

penguinmatt#1924 Active Member

The sole London Victoria to Seaford run on East Coastway is interesting. Not only do you start from platform 1 at Lewes, but you end up following the Brighton to Newhaven Marine service down the branch with a few signal checks along the way.

• Like Like x 8
  5. acela2163

acela2163 Well-Known Member

1H54 Paddington to Henley-on-Thames. Evening express train following behind a slow commuter train. Requires constant vigilance to stay on time and not SPAD.

• Like Like x 3
  6. driverwoods#1787

The scenery is of Typical Rivet Games and for the Arosa-Chur Express why not run that from start to end and see it from it's perspective if you can still catch up to the local train 10:50 Chur-Arosa

7. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  8. JustWentSouth

Proper attire required! I tightened up just watching your video!

A personal favorite is HMA EB Chaos described in post #165.

9. The SimTrain Tube

I will try this one when I can find the time

• Like Like x 1
  10. You set yourself up, you should have slammed the brakes as soon as you saw the magnet!

• Like Like x 1
  11. The SimTrain Tube

Why would I pay attention to magnets as I don't use pzb? (please explain)
    Also I don't know what they even look like.

12. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Active Member

PZB magnets are the long yellow blocks to the right of the right-hand running rail, which appear with signals and certain speed restriction notices. However, they also appear a certain distance before a signal (to enforce a stop if approaching a red too quickly).

You can see the relevant magnet at 1:10 in your video and, given that you'd just passed a double-yellow signal, that magnet is a good sign that there's a red signal 200 meters or so down the track.

You're brave to turn the signal HUD off and not use PZB! Still, impressive braking - I was sure you wouldn't make it until the very last second!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. The SimTrain Tube

Thanks for the explanation, if I had known I would have braked harder upon seeing the magnet and would be able to stop in time. (In a more relaxed way, then I did in the video)

• Like Like x 1
  14. JustWentSouth

Learning to drive with PZB on German routes is difficult. You tend to master it one emergency stop at a time! However, it is immensely rewarding and makes driving through chaos particularly fun. If you are interested,I highly recommend Matt’s tutorial:

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. The SimTrain Tube

Thank you, Ill start looking in to it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Because the 500Hz magnet is always 250m away from main signal, so when you see it, you better be doing <40km/h and braking.

The 500Hz magnet is a small metal square next to the rails.

I recommend this video to learn about German signalling, including PZB & LZB:

17. The SimTrain Tube

Thank you, but I've watched the German signalling tutorial on post #481 since posting here in this thread the other day. Very interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  18. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I hope it's all right to cheat a bit by applauding "Dirty Dirt Dirt", a scenario for the Peninsula Corridor route. In addition to its clever title, this run includes a maneuver that I've only seen happen in one other TSW activity (and I can't remember the route or title -- sorry). Without specifically describing what happens, I'll just note that it involves an AI switcher.

• Like Like x 2
  19. The SimTrain Tube

Here's the full version of the chaos run I did last week.
    Probably the most enjoyable run I did in a while.

• Like Like x 2
  20. JustWentSouth

The old “just in time” emergency stop. Love it!

Thank you for posting this video. It’s so cool to see a little chaos out of Aachen!

• Like Like x 1
  21. The SimTrain Tube

Thank you, glad you liked it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. JustWentSouth

• Like Like x 4
  23. JustWentSouth

HHL Chaos Westbound with 2 Variations

Start in the RE8 11409 service out of Lubeck with the 766.2 Cab Car at 8:07.

For variation 1, wait until 8:20 to depart.

For variation 2, wait until 8:27 to depart. For variation 2 to work, make sure you don't pass the signal at Km post 11.4 before 8:33:33; there should not be a train waiting for you at a signal on the right as you pull out of Bad Oldesloe.

For variation number 1, 11309 waits for you out of Bad Oldesloe, but you still have to deal with 11569 closer to Hamburg. For variation number 2, you experience the chaos a bit sooner because 11309 gets out on the main in front of you. Either way, pay close attention to adverse distant signals with white lights in the upper left corner. They indicate that the next signal is closer than usual and require more aggressive braking to be under 65 kph for an active 500 hz magnet.
    HHLWBChaos1.jpg

Also, both runs are going to end in a tight squeeze at Hamburg:
    HHLWBChaos2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Spygot

Spygot Member

DB81105 Hagen-Kreuztal (RSN)
    Hello,
    I couldn't find this service in this list so I decided to add it. Service 81105 starts in Hagen where you get overtaken by a passenger train to Finnentrop. Soon after the overtake you are ready to go. Because the passenger service stops at various stations, there are many PZB 1000 and 500hz magnets active. Depending on your driving style, you have to stop more or less often. I have all the german routes and locos but I don't think you need them to get that run.
    Tips:
    Don't exceed the 100km/h the wagons are rated for.
    Use the electric brake as often as possible. Often red signals turn green before you stop and the normal brake takes time to refill.
    Don't believe the HUD signal-announcements.

If somebody could confirm that the service runs with no DLCs that would be great.
    (Used Loco: DB 185)

• Like Like x 1
  25. JustWentSouth

Lamplight recommended this excellent scenario in another thread:
    Rhein-Ruhr Osten, Technical Difficulties with the 185.5

• Like Like x 1
  26. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this here. I completely forgot that it might be interesting for this thread as well :)

• Like Like x 1
  27. 1tommytrouble

1tommytrouble Member

I would recommend doing the evening Belmont services on LIRR. I completed them today and added a service at the start and end to make it feel like a "shift".

Spawn on foot at Hicksville
    Board the 17:36 service as a passanger and leave at Jamaica. Make sure you are at the back of the train.

When you arrive at Jamaica, you have about 3 minutes to run over to the sidings and get on the 18:00 empty coaching stock service and drive it to Belmont.

Enjoy your 25 minute break at Belmont before driving the 18:35 passenger service back to Jamaica. When I ran this service, I was held up at Queens waiting for two services to pass me first. This resulted in an arrival at Jamaica 7 minutes late. Once you "surrender" the service, the AI will forcibly take it over and try to drive it to Belmont. If you arrive late, here's how to prevent this:
    • arrive at the station and open doors as normal
    • shut down your cab
    • when it says to lock the doors, DON'T lock the doors
    • instead, walk to the other end of the train and set up for your next journey
    • now you can lock the doors. The AI won't forcibly take over as you are now in the driver's seat.
    Now drive the 18:55 empty coaching stock service back to Belmont.

You will have a short turnaround time to prepare for the 19:10 return to Penn. When you arrive at Penn, take it over to Westside Yard.

Enjoy the 30 minute break and walk back over to Penn station. Board the 20:16 service to Hicksville. You can be a passenger or driver - whatever you wish.

I wasn't able to complete the last service (as it was getting quite late irl!) but the first and last services definitely give a sense of realism as it feels like a shift. The entire shift takes around 3 hours and 40 minutes, but if you're short on time the Belmont services (so not the first and last trains to/from Hicksville) are just under 2 hours. I completed this in autumn clear weather, with precipitation, wetness, cloud level and wind strength to the maximum.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 3
  28. JustWentSouth

From Matt on last week’s preview stream:

Boston Sprinter NE Regional #174 NB with the ACS-64

A busy run with plenty of congestion and adverse signals.

Edit: This run was featured on the release stream:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

2L23 Charing Cross - Rainham (starts at 1213), you get stuck behind a unit between Rochester and Gillingham, so you get quite a few yellows in that section. Not sure if that translates to other services though.

• Like Like x 1
  30. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

My challenge was to find a way to drive the ntp and tvl without HUD. My map was accurate, except the part before stalybridge, where i had to make an emergency brake. (I thought the tunnel was longer, my time to slow down to 15mph was really short).

I dont care the Medals, delays happen in real too. Its just amazing in the 24h timetable mode, getting inside a serive and run it to the end.
    Since i play No Hud only, TSW 2 is an entire new experience.

• Like Like x 3
  31. good to see that there are still people in this community that play without the HUD

• Like Like x 4
  32. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

It is very rewarding, driving German routes without HUD and with all safaty systems enabled. Having to look at km boards, and very careful not to miss any speed reduction signal too... then of course you start to memorise the all the route.

And with rain and fog its even harder. Finishing this services, barely on time, having made all stops at the right place, its very very rewarding.

• Like Like x 3
  33. JustWentSouth

Boston Sprinter Stowt'n Chaos Northbound

This one is good. And it is just a 4 minute wait at the start.

Start in the CTC-3 Cab Car at Stoughton in the 7:48 am run. For this to work at full effect, run with the safety and speed fuse off. Handle ACSES speed "suggestions" as what you should be running at when you get to the next signal.

Wait until 7:53 to depart 4 minutes late. At Canton Junction, don't close the doors before 8:03 or after 8:08. Just after you leave Canton Jct, you will encounter a red signal. Once traffic passes, Tab through it and, though it is not a numbered signal, it will let you onto the main as soon as the switch is aligned.

From there, you are almost always dealing with traffic and the delays snowball. Again, take ACSES indications as the speed you should be at when you reach the next signal. If ACSES reads 20mph, be prepared to stop at the next signal. Most red signals you see can be passed at restricted speed.

Have fun! Best I could do was a Silver Medal and 20 minutes late.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. OsamaBinLiftin

OsamaBinLiftin Active Member

Boston Sprinter Reverse Running, Northbound
    Just found an absolutely lovely service, not too chaotic but definitely unusual in some aspects.

Franklin Service #726 (drivable from Readville to Boston) at 20:25 in the evening features great left-side running the entire length of the run, and stops only at Ruggles and Back Bay after departing Readville for Boston South Station.

It lets you get up to prototypical running speeds and ATC/ACSES don't slow you to a crawl for nearly the entire run, which I found quite fun. Going from Back Bay to South Station sees you 'racing' alongside a Worcester service for the final minutes of the run, and there's numerous depot and EC moves going on that can cause you to wait before pulling into South Station if you manage to run early.

A fairly quick service, around 20 minutes in length, but great fun!

• Like Like x 3
  35. JustWentSouth

Boston Sprinter Recommendations from another thread:

From redrev1917
    The Cold as Ice Scenario: a challenging run dealing with signaling issues while driving the F40 and CTC Cab Car. Very difficult to stay on time!

From seancrabtree2003
    Service 801 Boston to Providence with the F40: Delays and lots of traffic leaving Boston making you late from the start.

• Like Like x 1
  36. JustWentSouth

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

As an added bonus to 6E10 you can complete this service then return to free roam (back to your cab) & then do a loaded return trip.

I've done this service a few times & the dispatcher has always sent the 101 out ahead of me.

• Like Like x 2
  38. JustWentSouth

Boston Sprinter Southbound Chaos
    Start in the F40PH MBTA Boston to Providence service #805 at 07:23. You will be on track 8. Open the doors and then close them, but don't leave or release the service. The service you will drive is just off to the left on track 6:

BOS SB Chaos.jpg

It is Amtrak NE Regional 171 SB to Providence leaving at 08:00. Get out of the cab before 07:54 so that you can release the MBTA service at 07:56. Watch it leave and then head over to the Amtrak cab to take over that service. Set it up and leave on time.

Enjoy working your way through the logjam at Boston South Station. After that, it is PTC fest all the way into Providence. Good luck; if you get any medal, that it will be one more than I got!

You will need to know the ACS safety systems very well. I highly recommend the ACS 64 tutorial video by paul.pavlinovich here:

If you are interested, here are some notes about things I encountered planning this run:

One iteration of this run had you drive the MBTA service to Ruggles at wait there. By the time the SB Amtrak pulled up, it was the 5th train in line with another MBTA train approaching. Once you took over the Amtrak regional, it was a difficult start on the 1.2% grand and slow going after that. About 3 miles outside of Highway 128, the dispatcher walked off the job in disgust.

Though I always check the final version of these runs straight through, I often use the save function to check different timings. In saved games, the ACS developed parking brake issues. It would come on randomly, but not appear to affect your speed until you came to a stop where it would make it very difficult to start rolling again. Sometimes I could clear it by handle off brake and resetting the loco with the MCB and putting the reverser in neutral, but not always.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Hmmm… I tried starting on 2D58 multiple times, and it got the road first every time - regardless of whether I closed the doors. I even tried not opening the doors, and touching nothing, but it still got the road first. Anything I’m missing?

• Like Like x 2
  40. lcyrrjp

Thank you, a very interesting run. Running into Thornaby depot at the 15mph line speed felt weird though - I’m pretty sure that would be 5mph in real life!

• Like Like x 2
  41. lcyrrjp

Ah, that did the trick (although I think you meant 10:10 rather than 11:10).

Thank you. I’ve no idea how you worked out that would work!

• Like Like x 1
  42. JustWentSouth

My new favorite service mode run on Boston Sprinter:

Amtrak NE Regional NB #176 Providence to Boston with the ACS
    HUD free highly recommended. I am really enjoying this route!

You start off behind an MBTA local which the dispatcher lets you slip by at Attleboro. More traffic is encountered approaching 128, Back Bay, and Boston South Stations. Also, some nice parallel running near 128 with an MBTA service you initially overtake but then overtakes you while you are dealing with an ATC alert.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. JustWentSouth

• Like Like x 2
  44. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I really enjoy nicking off with other trains too, in some routes like Sandpatch where you get a bit more freedom I've been known to join them together and take both :). Thanks for promoting the tutorial.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  45. matthew90

matthew90 New Member

Hi all . I'm new to the forums. I have been abit reluctant to play as normally I like smashing out journey mode on the routes but these hours ive put in won't carry over to ps5 (if I ever get one). Anyway to the point, this thread is amazing and the hard work gone into compiling the suggested routes into a sheets document has made it really easy and fun to play through. Thanks everyone great stuff !

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. JustWentSouth

Thank you for your kind words! LeadCatcher started the sheet and Callum B fine tuned the format. It has been a nice community effort to find all these great bits of gameplay.

Please let me know of any errors you find on either sheet and be sure to post any great runs you find. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  47. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Great service by the way. But ragarding this particular statement I truly doubt that the AI is capable of that. If so it would add to the unpredictability of every single run.

48. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Don't know if it was mentioned, 1A05 on Great Western Express with the HST - you're following another HST that makes an additional stop at Maidenhead. Quite a nice run I found.

• Like Like x 1
  49. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Even if that is the case it adds to the intersting aspects of that run.

50. JustWentSouth

Number 176 also makes for a great chaos run if you don't leave until 19:46.
    You don't slip by the MBTA local at Attleboro and follow it into Boston. ATS would not let me get close enough to overtake it at 3 and 4 track stations.

Edit: Quick update for both spreadsheets before I "go dark" for a while!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1