Train Sim World 2 - Rush Hour - Creating Passengers

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jul 27, 2021.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

MicrosoftTeams-image (70).jpg
    We sat down with Senior Producer Matt Peddlesden and Art Director Derek Siddle to find out more about what changes have been made to our passengers and what you can look forward to this Summer.

Read the article here.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 25
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. ggy

ggy Member

Please inform the release date of BOSTON SPRINTER

• Like Like x 2
  3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

An interesting read , looking forward to RH

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coastway trainspotter

Not yet

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

IMG_20210727_142345.png
    I wonder who is responsible for this...

It's totally not obvious.

• Like Like x 25
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Interesting article and looking forward to this. Some comments:

- Please be aware there are countries where the departure tracks are known in advance, so people will move to the platforms straight away. It would be dangerous to model it assuming the UK/US? way of working.
    - It would be awesome to have collectables in the form of lost luggage (umbrellas, suitcases, bag, gloves). You could even put them in in the trains.
    - It should be avoided to have scenes repeating to often. For instance at Peninsula Corridor and TVL you see far to many buses. Also you see the same shiny red car every 10 seconds at Peninsula corridor. Repeating stuff should be very low profile, you should barely notice it.
    This holds for all stuff., at Cane Creek there is a small rock with a very noticeable white spot. Very annoying and immersion breaking.
    - It would be awesome if we can adjust passenger density a bit, like we can adjust the weather..
    - Did I see it correctly that there also will be crew members among the passengers?

• Like Like x 7
  7. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

It was genuinely a random combination, but I am responsible for the screenshot at least :)

• Like Like x 25
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I understand that passenger visuals need to be improved, it does affect immersion. But I'm wondering if too much emphasis is being placed on passenger numbers as a part of Rush Hour. To me the more important components of a rush hour are:
    1. Increased AI traffic, that is more trains arriving at, standing in and departing from stations.
    2. More vehicular traffic around stations including cars and buses.
    3. More noise of all kinds, hustle and bustle, if you will.
    Certainly, passenger numbers are important, but not the be all and end all.
    Your thoughts?

• Like Like x 14
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Are you going to be sharing some Rush Hour tidbits with us tonight, Matt?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

My feedback on this is that I’d like to see more random areas of workmen, either in diorama style or as passengers. They could pop up randomly on parts of every route giving us a another reason to sound the horn.

Will we get an increased number of options for our avatars? Different faces/hairstyles? I’m no oil painting, but the avatars all look like munters. Also, my driver keeps going bald in the 143/112.

• Like Like x 7
  11. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

This will be good. On Playstation certainly this is an area that's always been in need of an upgrade.

• Like Like x 4
  12. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

has the weather improved?

• Like Like x 2
  13. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

I hope that this carries over to the busy-ness of trains arriving and departing for rush hours etc.

I was just in Boston this past weekend, and I hung out in south station for the better part of rush hour, and I couldn’t believe the frequency of trains coming in and out. There were multiple instances of two trains coming out at once, one coming while one departs etc. I’m really hoping some degree of that carries over to the game.

In just under an hour I saw 26+ trains arriving/departing south station.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Having ‘races’ as two trains leave the station at the same time would be fun.

• Like Like x 2
  15. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Agree, especially with point three particularly train noise, it just isn't loud enough and isn't as simple as to 'just turn the volume up'. I remember when I used to catch the HST, when one pulled in you had no chance of holding a conversation on the platform but in the game you would have no trouble.

• Like Like x 3
  16. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

What about of fixing luminous passengers at RRO and removal them from the trains which are running to depot?

• Like Like x 2
  17. acela2163

acela2163 Well-Known Member

Station signs need some work, also appear to be in standard case when the real signs are all caps.
    Sign.png
    Vs
    cr-ruggles-signage.jpg
    3HVLVZDKOC2JTDMQGGWMYKNNKTHEQWMOYX5ZSV4LP5RFODCN.jpg
    Same goes for the departure screens
    Departurescreen.png
    These are just recycled from the LIRR, and weren't particularly accurate there, but they're definitely not here. The text isn't even the right color, the MBTA (and Amtrak) signs have bright red text.
    Canton_Junction_station_from_Beaumont_Street,_April_2016.JPG
    Overall, not particularly impressed as it seems that there was either a lack of care, or a major lack of time from whoever was in charge of this.

• Like Like x 9
  18. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I certainly think these points need to be addressed. Particularly the last point, about the ambient sounds.

It’s all well and good there being more NPCs, but have DTG actually done anything in regards to the ambient sounds at stations? It can often be far too quiet sounding at big stations. There’s no chatter noise or anything like that.

• Like Like x 6
  19. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

I agree, standing in south station between an f40 and an hsp46, with several more locomotives idling under the building is absolutely deafening. In general if you’re close to American diesels when they throttle up its a ground shaking and deafining event.

20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, it was raining hard earlier but it’s brightened up a bit now, thanks for asking.

• Like Like x 14
  21. DTG Matt

Increased AI traffic - definitely. The Service timetable for Boston includes a lot of non-playable services going to lots of destinations not included in the route. I have often sat on the end of Boston station and in fairly short order had multiple trains going in and out fairly constantly. One memorable moment had three trains all coming in side by side on various lines.

• Like Like x 33
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This sounds exciting.

23. Coastway trainspotter

Passenger variety should be the same across all platforms

• Like Like x 2
  24. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. As the article says, one piece of hardware shouldn’t be limited by another piece of hardware.

So in TSW’s case, a higher end console/PC will naturally have more features/passengers than a base console, due to its limited hardware capabilities.

This is good as it allows TSW to continually keep evolving, whilst not being limited by older and/or less powerful hardware.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Coastway trainspotter

I said the variety , not the amount

• Like Like x 2
  26. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

About the same in Köln if you stand on the Rhine bridge. There is so much traffic there, I did not count them but I was very impressed. Pics dating from 2007.
    Keulen 2007 0112.JPG Keulen 2007 0115.JPG Keulen 2007 0116.JPG Keulen 2007 0117.JPG Keulen 2007 0112.JPG Keulen 2007 0115.JPG Keulen 2007 0116.JPG Keulen 2007 0117.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  27. dhekelian

This happens at most big stations Matt and would be brilliant to see it.

28. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I would say that passenger behavior/AI is one thing that has needed addressing for a long time:

1) Passengers stay aboard for depot runs, don't all debark at terminus stops
    2) Passengers completely ignore the weather, blithely standing around in the open in raging thunderstorms
    3) Passengers spawn on/walk directly to platforms with no train due to arrive for hours, then stand there doing nothing
    4) Unpopulated station concourses. Real humans don't stand on the platform for 40 minutes, they window-shop, have a coffee, sit down and play with their phones etc.

• Like Like x 11
  29. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

This sounds really amazing. Looking forward to seeing and experiencing it in action.

One question remains for me though, and has not been mentioned so far: will people use umbrellas when it rains? It is nice to see they will have proper winter clothing now, I hope they will also be equipped for rainy weather :)

• Like Like x 2
  30. dhekelian

Some passengers sit on their suitcases when it gets busy as well. Those flying passengers are annoying as well.

31. DTG Matt

Volumes and Variety are two carefully different things.

XB1 and PS4 will both have increased VOLUME of characters, and higher level platforms will have more still.
    XB1 and PS4 will both benefit from the same patternisation and palletisation for variety, as well as the new outfits as will the next gen.

HOWEVER - XB1 and PS4 will generate less random combinations in each session than the higher level platforms, so while there is tons of scope for variety, you wont necessarily see 100 *different* people walking around. Palletisation is not constrained by this however so it does create more variety on its own - so if it creates x different types of people, they can all then have different colours applied so that "x different types" becomes many times more through colour variation.

The reason for this is that more different types of character = more memory usage, something those platforms are in short supply of in the sim.

Note: The number of unique types is no different to how it was before on XB1 and PS4, but now it has a much bigger pool of potential variations so you should still see a lot more variety along with a lot more volume.

I guess what I wanted to say was "yes, tons more variety and volume" but the detail needed clarifying because as always, it's never *quite* that simple, hope it made sense.

Glossary:
    Palletisation - changing colours on clothing, such as pink ties, pink jackets, pink trousers. Other less fabulous colours are also used.
    Patternisation - changing patterns on clothing, such as stripey jacket, dotty blouse, zig zaggy overcoat.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  32. dhekelian

How many different faces are there? Didn't someone say it was just 8 before? (PC)

33. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  34. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

From the top left picture it seems like we'll have some railroad employees standing around, that's absolutely great, looking forward to seeing that in game myself! Do these employees only spawn in certain stations, in all stations, or also along the side of the line? And are they permanently there, or do they randomly appear in certain locations?

• Like Like x 4
  35. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Could this palletisation tech also be applied to the cars on auto transporters? Make them not all pale grey?

• Like Like x 2
  36. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Matt
    Xbox Series and PS5 have the Same Level as PC?

37. DTG Matt

Yes Series X/S and PS5 are running on PC settings for passenger levels/varieties.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  38. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I wonder why they are using innacurate looking pis for this route. Surely they should've had enough time to model the pis correctly. The pis on lirr got a negative reaction so why repeat the same mistake?

DTG: "We learn from our mistakes"
    Also DTG: "Let's keep making the same mistakes"

• Like Like x 7
  39. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

After rush-hour routes released this summer, is there more passenger routes by the future as well as the quick drive segment?

40. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

TSW needed this to feel more alive and it was something very much in demand, I can't wait to see it implemented.
    One thing is not clear to me, will all existing routes benefit from this with the new update or only the new routes that will be released from now on?
    And in case the answer is "no" and these new features are not applied now to the old routes, will the preservation team add them in the future?

• Like Like x 2
  41. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Of course there will be passenger routes in the future...

Also do you really need the Bold, Red text. It's quite annoying...

• Like Like x 9
  42. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I really, really hope not!
    :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Don’t forget, cars on train wagons are often wrapped in white plastic for protection.

• Like Like x 2
  44. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

Doesn't all this also consume more memory? Memory that could be used for the layer e.g. at HMA (or perhaps also future routes) on the old consoles?

• Like Like x 2
  45. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Wow! It looks like DTG are paying attention to the small details when it comes to upgrading the passenger system and the passengers themselves. As someone who played the original TSW on my PS4, I can’t express my excitement to have TSW2 use the power of the Series X so that I can have an experience on par with PC. Great job with everything they have done since the release of TSW2 and such a big turn around DTG has made this last year! Can’t wait!

• Like Like x 2
  46. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

47. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

From what was said on last Thursday’s stream - the new passengers are added to a new core, and preserved collection routes just needed to be updated to this new core and then will automatically get the update. NOTE: the routes will be updated overtime and not at once.

• Like Like x 4
  48. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

We appreciate your passion as someone who has a say in what TSW2 becomes, as it translates to a lot of the fun experiences for everyone who enjoys TSW!

• Like Like x 2
  49. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

Sort of related to this, but I’ve noticed on Cathcart there is definitely a lot more passengers than previous routes and my trains do actually get full sometimes anyone know if this is intentional by DTG or just coincidence? But either way I really like it makes immersion so much better and doesn't affect performance so definitely looking forward to rush hour. 2E4E7B0F-9E93-4AAF-BD00-1A2F4A18B422.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  50. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

You can sit down at the station? That would be something new?