Midland Mainline: London St Pancras - Bedford. In The Late 70s

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by finntd#7891, Jul 28, 2021.

1. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

Damn FinnTD Back at it again with them Old Timey Suggestions.
    Midland Mainline: London St Pancras - Bedford in the Late 70s.
    This route totals 55 Miles Between London St Pancras and Bedford along the Midland Mainline during the Late 1970s, Snaking it way to Bedford with the Cities of St Albans, and the Borough of Lutons in its Path this route will definitely be a Welcome addition.
    MML L&B.png
    this post is a bit of a mess i forgot to add the map when i posted this.

Services:
    Passenger:
    Passenger services range from Stopping DMU Services done with the Class 127, Loco Hauled Trains Generally Done with Peaks, as they where the Main Motive power on the route.
    The DMU Services can be split with the 127 running its Own services but also services where it is coupled with the Class 108 pretty much allowing the Representation of the Class 127's unique abilities.
    Freight I have done a bit of reasearch on both the Passenger and Freight operations Passenger was easy but freight was a bit of trouble, so I Decided on 2 types, Ballast and Coal, of course more freight can come from HFP, Double heading might have to be done via the Double heading "livery" option like The Class 37 and 20 on TVL Due to a Layered loco being MU incompatible with most locos on this route.

Locos and DMUS:
    BR Class 127:

The Class 127s are interesting first gens, they are Diesel Hydraulics but are Compatible with other First Gen Diesel Mechanical DMUs, this was done via having the Gear Selector in the 127s it doesnt matter what gear is selected it doesnt effect the 127s but with lets say the Class 101 it changes its Gears, This practice was discontinued as drivers forgot to shift gears and the DMMUs caught on fire, but I would like to see it Represented in TSW. These units run Londong St Pancras and Bedford commuters as they did IRL.
    Class 127.jpg
    this is a Wonderful image IMO

BR Class 108:
    So to represent a Normal DMU I suggest the Class 108, i didnt have this here when i originally posted this but since the 127 has that whole can run with normal DMUs thing i decided now to add the 108, anyways these run normal DMU Services however can be seen on Special services where it is coupled to a 127.
    Class 108.jpg

BR Class 45 with Split Headcode boxes:
    I Mentioned these where the Primary motive power on this route, The Variant im suggesting is the Split headcode variant I May as well keep it Fresh in the looks department, 1 thing I want to see though is MU Control added, the NTP Version Lacks MU Compatibility, which removes so many Double Heading opportunities I would like to see it here (and on the Original Class 45).
    Class 45 Split.jpg
    This images show the Variant of Class 45 i want to see and is Hauling a train to London St Pancras.

Rollingstock:
    MK1 FK/TSO/BSO:

I Mentioned Loco Hauled Passenger trains and these are just the right Rolling stock for it, The TSO and BSO Can be brought in from WSR just give it Dual Brakes and it will be perfect, the FK or First Corridor are new to the TSW MK1 Family, they of course act as the first class coach which already exists as a MK2.
    MK1 FK.jpg
    I Just put a pic of a FK if you played WSR you know what the TSO/BSO look like.

I Will not be going into Freight cars I will leave it to dovetail.

Layering:
    Yes Time For Layering, NTP Can Bring the Class 40, No Headcode Box Class 45, Class 47, and Class 101 on Class 108 services, Vice Versa, with the Class 08 on Shunting Services, with Oil, Box Van, along with Mail or Newspaper trains with the MK1 BG, along with the MK2s randomly appearing on Loco Hauled Passenger trains on this route and MK1 Randomly appearing on Trans Pennine Services on NTP, TVL Can Bring the Class 31 with Cement Trains maybe Steel, Limestone and Coke Trains as well.

Ending:
    Boom i pumped out another suggestion and it aint in the 80s for once, anything i could add? let me know and if i deem it suitable ill add it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  2. finntd#7891

OK i just realized I made a typo and called London "Londong" at one point im keeping it in however

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Two words... FREIGHT!
    (yes I know it's only one word but come on...)

4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  5. finntd#7891

probably but i set this in the Late 70s not past 1982 so the Class 37 and 20 would need BR Blue liveries

• Like Like x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

Ok then so we can see the pre 1989 paint on those. Even the GWR HST needs a new 1979 paint scheme but at a cost of the wrong engine sound being a MTU instead of Paxman Valenta engines. That can be solved if DTG or Armstrong Powerhouse was permitted inside the East Midlands trains Depot for VP185 Engine HST

7. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Yes please. The Class 127 Diesel Hydraulic Multiple Units would be awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  8. finntd#7891

One of the Precise reasons I Made this suggestions and because im craving a bit more Old british action

9. Bexy916

Bexy916 New Member

Split box Peaks - Now we're talking proper top shelf naughtiness!!! Just one MINOR little detail........ Blue Star 27 way multi was removed off Class 44s & 45s & 46s in the 1960s as it was not needed and also caused issues. Peaks could only be worked with 2 drivers in Tandem.

As for the route idea - Why stop at Bedford? The route to Nottingham or Leicester would be way more appealing.

10. finntd#7891

really? i couldnt find anything talking about that even then i think it should be on them i doubt having it Off would effect TSW's Emersion.

Also i cut the route off at Bedford to stay within Logical limits, TSW can be a Resource heavy game something like London St Pancras to Nottingham would go Well over 100 Mile and only 1 of my other british suggestions barely Hits 91 Miles, i didnt want to go Over board besides this is my suggestion if you want a Midland Mainline suggestion that goes to Nottingham and beyond eat your heart out

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bexy916

Bexy916 New Member

Im still learning how TSW works (Im a die hard TS20xx fan lol) But, Im a Peak nut (my beast was 104) and a member of many Peak grps on ol Faceache which have far more qualified Peak Army experts than me as to the exact reasons for Multi gear removal (If youre not on faceache, if you would like, I can ask for detailed reasons? ) IIRC Multi was removed about 1966 ish.

I understand TSW is resource heavy, but, with your suggestion being such a cracking idea, a further extension north of Bedford would be better....... Not all Peak hauled expresses stopped at Bedford but normally first stop Wellingborough. Stpanc to Bedford on TS2xxx is boring enough lol

12. finntd#7891

Personally im not a Pure Peak Nut im also a Whistler Nut so i wouldnt know the Peaks had there MU Removed perhaps a Solution is a DPU System like on American Locos

13. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Personally I would prefer this as a 1990's route, set after the Bed Pan upgrade, and before St Pancras was remodeled prior to HS1.
    Network SouthEast Class 319s operating stopping services to Moorgate via the widened lines and the now disused King's Cross lower level. Valenta powered Intercity HSTs operating express services, and Railfreight Class 47s working freight. Seventies would still be quite interesting too, just remember to gear change a Class 127 when coupled to a Class 101 or your train might spontaneously combust!

• Like Like x 1
  14. driverwoods#1787

Service Failure. Your Train caught on fire. Reason for this is that your class 127 forgot to change gear. The tutorial for the route needs to cover that procedure if you have NTP or TVL installed as layers

15. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Even though I'd also love to see a (passenger focussed mainline) route set in the BR green era and the '90s too, I think this could be great and very interesting if done well. Congratulations on making so many interesting suggestions!