Why Do We Go On And On And On About Stuff?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by FeralKitty, Jul 28, 2021.

1. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

I've often wondered why people post about the same thing over and over and over again.

And now I've been doing it. I think I've written about 50+ posts since the news of the Dresden branch removal.

We can get preoccupied by things that sadden, or disappoint us. But our additional posts don't usually tend to add anything new, they just tend to repeat our hopes, opinions, or disappointments.

So, what's the "fix" for being preoccupied? It probably shouldn't be the hope that DTG will change, because any change takes time, and we'd be waiting for a while (or forever if no resolution arises).

So, what are your healthy solutions to deal with this? (Let's keep it positive!)

• Like Like x 4
  2. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

Not to take stuff too seriously, or have high expectations, which can lead to negative emotions. Enjoy what you have instead of focusing on what you don't. Being negative doesn't help you or anyone, stuff is just stuff.

• Like Like x 5
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Most posts made on the forum are people procrastinating when they really should be getting on with something else. I’m avoiding doing the washing up by typing this. The only way to stop posting the same thing on the forum over and over is to get on with something more productive. I’ve just been ordered to make a cup of tea, so that’s one less reply I’ll be posting tonight, so that’s a start.

• Like Like x 12
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

It's a human trait to focus on the negative (and bleat on about it) so I generally take it as people being generally narky, snarky and full of it, when really they'd probably be better off doing something else (he says waiting for an email to come through so passing the time picking apart other people's stuff)

• Like Like x 4
  5. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It is difficult to know if we can make a difference by posting more or not. Remember when we were not going to have any kind of preserved collection?

I think that even if there are no changes this time, if an issue causes lots of posts complaining about it at least it will make DTG to be more careful not to repeat it again.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Ah, my kitchen is not my friend, I'm afraid. Washing dishes or making tea or coffee takes just one finger to push a button. The only things that get me off the forums are leaving town for a day without my phone, or working in the yard, which I can't do this week because we're in a 100 degree+ heatwave with poor air quality because the American West is on fire.
    Guess I'll just have to harp on about trains instead.

• Like Like x 5
  7. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

For some it's a hobby; for some an escape; for some a game; for some a simulator; for some the chance to achieve what is not possible in real life; for some the chance to partially realise a childhood dream.

Whatever the reason, the forums are full of passion for the game - be that good or bad. It's a product we all want to succeed and progress. It's remarkable how active this community is in voicing the good, the bad and the ugly. It goes to show how much it actually means to people for them to go to the effort to contribute to the forums. I love it!

• Like Like x 10
  8. Bexy916

Bexy916 New Member

Add to your list - Those Old Farts who used to work on the railways and want to recreate their happy days as realistically as possible!!! Good post mate and totally agree.

• Like Like x 4
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Welcome to psychology 001?

10. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

People complain for different reasons, some do it because they like doing it but I would rather think that most do it because they care, they care for the game to reach its potential.

If people didn't complain on games they would not get fixed. DTG will be the first to tell you that a post saying there was a problem in a route is more valuable than someone saying the scenery looks good.

Also DTG have said in the past they go on to what players complain about the most, so if a couple of people say a Loco has problems in a US route to say 20 odd people saying there is a problem in a German route the DTG are going to look at the German route first, so by not saying anything DTG will not know there is a problem or think it a priority.

• Like Like x 2