PC Cane Creek

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Crosstie, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to really enjoy this route. Yes, the speeds can be maddeningly slow and there are some real visual "oopses" here and there, but overall the route looks very good, the gameplay works well and the locos are fun to drive. And very important for me, the Colorado looks pretty good. Not a perfect simulation of the real thing, but a step up from other recent waterways.
    All in all, I'd say Skyhook deserves some applause for creating an American freight route which is not exactly on its doorstep.

(I posted a new thread because there's nothing else recently).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 17
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Despite the slow speed limits, and there are some visual issues that I am beginning to laugh at every time I see them. I am really enjoying the route as well. Skyhook does deserve around of applause for putting out their first TSW route.

• Like Like x 13
  3. November India Charlie

November India Charlie New Member

Same here, really enjoying the route, the speeds are ok for me: plenty to look around, and the changing gradients are a challenge since I play with no HUD.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Cane Creek's a good example of a route that's largely screwed over by DTG's rather stubborn pricing scheme. It would be largely considered a perfectly fine route if it was at a third or half of the price. As is though it's hard to justify the price when there's other good looking routes which have far more going on, like München – Augsburg. It's a decent scenery simulator, but that's ultimately secondary to the train sim side of things, and also as good as it can look there's better scenery simulators out and about these days.

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve decided against buying Cane Creek until it’s discounted because of some of the issues I’ve seen and it’ll be better suited for when I upgrade to PS5 as it didn’t look good on the console stream, but it’s good to hear that it is an enjoyable route gameplay wise. I’m in danger of having too much content so I may wait a while, what with three routes coming up with Rush Hour, it probably wouldn’t get a look in for play hours. I’m wondering if any loco DLC will come for it. Something completely new for the route would make it more appealing as a combo buy in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I was holding out because of the horn sounds, but finally broke down and bought in when the sound mods became available. I am really enjoying it! I turn off the HUD and have decided that much of the track looks good enough for 35-40mph; not scoring too many gold medals, though!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Crosstie

Must admit I am sorely tempted to do those speeds on what is, for the most part, straight track. So far, I've cheated just a little on the 15mph parts.:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment, Crosstie. It's got its downsides and the gameplay can be lacking depending on your point of view. The visuals are amazing though in places - even on the PS4 build. The speeds can be maddening, but the (for TSW) unique scenery really sets the route apart.

I can perfectly understand that the price tag may be too much for some people (after all, CRR offers a lot more bang for your buck while having a similar focus), but if NA freight and the Western USA scenery is your cup of tea, you're missing out by not getting it. I've bought it on day one and haven't regretted it yet. I look forward to experiencing the PS5 build once it's here.

I for one am looking forward to the first Cane Creek patch and whatever projects Skyhook will tackle in the future :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

As I said before, I am still waiting out on the post-release patch and/or discount before picking up this route; not even necessarily because I do not believe it is worth the full price, but because I don't feel right supporting a product at full price given some of its glaring issues.
    Thankfully, most of the major issues are easily solvable, which is why it is such a shame that the route has been doing so poorly with its Steam reviews. Most of the complaints seem to come from the absurdly loud traffic noise, which is frustrating because so many negative reviews would have otherwise been positive, but that does otherwise bode well for the route if that is all that users are complaining about.

With the sound and patch mods released by the community, I am definitely more tempted to pick it up, but I will continue to hold off until the issues are fixed officially, for principle's sake. Until then, I hope all of you other players enjoy the views. :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  10. Crosstie

Yes, what were he/she/they thinking with that? It has no connection to any actual road traffic and is very annoying, though thankfully brief.

11. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I quite enjoy it, but I turn off the HUD and drive it at 40 to 50mph. Much better :).

I also use the Cane Creek Mod which improves loads of things (especially the sounds) but lots of visuals too - this made the difference for me - it went from meh to enjoyable. https://mods.trainsimcommunity.com/...1231-cane-creek-subdivision-general-patch-v13

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  12. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It's Utah, not Colorado. ;)

13. Callum B.

The Colorado river. It's synecdoche.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  14. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about the river.

15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am very pleased with this purchase \o/

• Like Like x 3
  16. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

With great patience, comes great rewards (probably because it took me at least 4 hours to get all the collectibles for one achievement). Nevertheless, it is a great route to drive on (minus some flaws on the locos and stocks of course), even when seeing the Corona Arch from a trackside view when walking (or running in this case):
    733ef519-aaa9-49a4-9243-db3f85f68339.jpg
    (Worth it though :cool:)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

20210727162300_1.jpg
    And some parts of the track are good enough for little higher speeds even... :D

P.S. Thats just some speed testing on light SD40-2 (twin engine set-up). Dare you to beat that for fun of it!!! )))

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. paul.pavlinovich

The SD40-2 is a bit of a drag racer isn't it Reventloff :)

19. Reventloff

No doubt, mate! I bet EMD initially designed it for pure adrenaline rush! )))

• Like Like x 2
  20. paul.pavlinovich

I suspect they did, it corners like its on rails!

I have to admit, when I've got a choice on a route I usually run the SD40 :)

• Like Like x 2
  21. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

In reality though, that would never happen, Union Pacifics SD40-2s were only geared originally for 65mph operations, with the exception of the 100 "Fast Forties" units, which were geared for 80mph operations on hot intermodal freights.

https://utahrails.net/articles/up-fast-forties.php

• Like Like x 2
  22. rocky.28965

rocky.28965 Member

I'm having an issue in the Journeys Mode, LDP46 Part 1, Brindle to Moab.
    The lead engine has no engine sound & I can't get the consist to move.
    Is this a known issue or is it just me ?

• Like Like x 1
  23. paul.pavlinovich

I have not experienced that, did you accidentally shut it down? There is a big red button on the back wall that will stop the engine. If you've done that, then you need to set the isolation switch to start, go outside on the driver's side about six doors down, open the panel (catches top and bottom) then prime for 5 seconds using the switch you find in there then switch to start and wait until the engine revs up before letting go. Then go back into the cab and set the isolation switch to Run.

Paul

24. rocky.28965

rocky.28965 Member

Thanks Paul
    No it's definitely running, there's smoke at the exhaust & it responds to the controls.
    There is a low external sound, but way quieter than it should be.
    I've done all the previous scenarios with no problems so I've gotten to know how to set things up & how they should sound.
    I've tried it several times with this & even validated the game files.
    I have managed to get moving but I had to go back to the rear locos & set them up.
    They were supposed to be all set, according to the instructions.
    Incidentally they sounded normal.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  25. paul.pavlinovich

That you got it running from the rear loco makes me think the game for whatever reason thought the other loco was in control. So this was at the start of the service? I'll go give it a go LDP46-A to Moab. Back soon :). Just in case something happens I'll record it.

26. paul.pavlinovich

rocky.28965 Well apart from initially forgetting to turn on the generator field - no problems at all. You start in the loco, the things I did were
    1. Turn on headlights
    2. Set up the brakes on the display (cut-in and lead)
    3. Released the brakes
    4. Set reverser forwards
    5. Wait for the brakes to pump up (this took about 2 maybe 3 minutes) observing the flow gauge
    6. Powered up to notch 2 - no amps
    7. Realised I was a dummy, dropped back to idle and turned on the generator field switch
    8. Powered up to notch 2 - got amps
    9. After another minute or so the train started to move
    Do you have the ability to record and post to youtube or similar? Then I could see what is happening.

Paul

27. Lamplight

Did you happen to switch to the rear external camera? I've had it happen that if the camera needs to load in the rear (short loading screen), the lead engine doesn't have sounds anymore when you return to it. The usual 8 cam trick fixes it though.

In case you're unaware, the 8 cam trick is:
    1. Switch to the 8 cam (free cam).
    2. Move far enough away from your train that you get a loading screen when returning to the internal camera.
    3. All sound issues should be resolved.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  28. rocky.28965

rocky.28965 Member

Thanks Paul.
    Never uploaded a video, so unsure about that.
    I'll try again following your list and see how that goes.
    Just watching the Olympics on the telly ATM.
    I'll report back later.

• Like Like x 1
  29. rocky.28965

rocky.28965 Member

Thanks, I'll look into that.

30. paul.pavlinovich

That issue can happen any time you have to change tiles when you're moving with the camera, e,g. staying behind on the free cam and using ctrl-0 to get back.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Lamplight

True. I've had it happen on SPG as well. Oddly, it happens somewhat infrequently to me on SPG but almost guaranteed on Cane Creek. I'm not sure whether I'm unlucky or whether there's some technical explanation for that.

• Like Like x 1
  32. paul.pavlinovich

Probably both :).

Have you ever strayed far enough you could not get back to your train? I have... I caught up with it on free cam but could not get into the cab neither 1 key or ctrl-0, fortunately the train was still responding to RailDriver so I could finish the run and I just paced it with the freecam.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  33. Lamplight

Oh, fascinating. I've had something similar happen. I was setting up my rear DPUs on SPG and tried using [CRTL][0] to get back to my lead unit. While I got the HUD and controls back, I wasn't actually put back into the lead cab - I stayed at the rear of the train on foot. So, I decided to try to walk back to the front of the train (I could "stand up" to regain walking controls) and when I had passed ~75% of my train, I suddenly got teleported back into the cab. The world of trains can be strange and mysterious :D

34. rocky.28965

rocky.28965 Member

Ok I've tried both those suggestions, still no go.
    Appears to be just on the Brendel to Moab runs in both Journey & Scenario.
    Works fine on all the others & timetable runs.
    If you guys are not having the same issue, it must be a gremlin in my system somewhere.
    I was wondering if uninstalling & reinstalling the route would help.
    Only problem with that is I might loose all my progress.
    Can I save that somehow ?

• Like Like x 1
  35. paul.pavlinovich

It doesn't sound like the kind of thing uninstalling would help with. Have you logged a support ticket? https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/

36. Reventloff

Hello there!

Yes, I believe its a minor bug there with the mission sequence. I reported it previously, when played this scenario from Journey mode.
    If you read the messages carefully, you will notice they tell you to switch engine on among other things... but the mission marker never appears to do anything with engine (they just skip to setting brakes and turning banking com on, etc).
    20210730152107_1.jpg
    What I have done here is just pushed the Engine Stop first and then set the isolation switch to start, pushed and held the start engine button for about 10 seconds... and then you hear the engine roar at last! Then set solation switch to run and you are good to go with this scenario.

And dont forget to give some time for the train brakes to release though (takes a full minute or two usually after you hit release on autobrake lever, depending on the train length I guess).

Hope that helps. Cheers!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  37. rocky.28965

rocky.28965 Member

Thanks, that done the trick.
    Must have just needed a reboot.

• Like Like x 2
  38. paul.pavlinovich

• Like Like x 1
  39. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Some folks prefer realism, others not . . . so it goes.

40. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd bump this having decided to pick up the route at the last minute in the sale.
    Done the first few Journey activities and started on the first run with the branch proper from Brendel down to Moab.

Well I have to say the route itself is looking superb, first of it's kind in TSW and much better than the Trainmaster 4, Trainz and MSTS predecessors - which may be due to the better DEM data and mapping available since the other versions were made. The slow speed is not an issue for me having made several runs up and down the Trona branch in Run 8! Well the only issue is that the dynamic brakes seem to be a bit all or nothing - on the 1.2% initial drop out of Brendel using B1 is not quite enough but B2 is too much. There should probably be finer control there. And with the two DPU's on the rear I'm not getting an EOT brake reading which is essential to managing these long American freight trains. DTG really need to add the EOT to the HUD as well.

So yes, well pleased so far, think this could become a firm favourite go to route when a relaxing drive is called for. Could do with some layers though, maybe the Clinchfield F7's or a passenger excursion with one of the Caltrain sets. Hopefully Scenario Editor 2.0 will provide a solution there.

• Like Like x 1
  41. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

If you have Sherman Hill, set up a run in Scenario planner with the SD70 Ace. I know in SPG, I can sub this loco into the timetable. The improved physics and the lower minimum reduction really make for a more realistic and challenging experience.

I am away from my PC so I don’t know if you can sub it in to the Cane Creek timetable or would have to use scenario planner.

42. OldVern

I haven't bought Sherman yet, will pick it up later in the year though.

43. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

SPG is the only route for the 'sub every US freight locos from other routes' so far.
    (AC44s, GP38s, SD40s, & SD70s are the known locos to sub in SPG's timetable)

• Like Like x 1
  44. OldVern

I see there are some mods kicking around for the route and more especially the locos which do sound a little bit odd, in addition to the physics peculiarities (at times it feels like I'm running downhill with the brakes on having to apply power to stop slowing down).

Are these worth getting or are they potentially likely to bork things up?

45. Callum B.

These two mods are worth getting to improve the experience:
    https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/m...1-cane-creek-subdivision-enhancement-pack-v15
    https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/mods/c3-train-sim-world-2/c20-sounds/i1527-cane-creek-audio-mods

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. OldVern

Brilliant, thanks Callum. Downloading now.

• Like Like x 1
  47. OldVern

Sorry quick supplementary question. Do these go in the paks folder or the DLC folder, not really used mods before? Also do I need to rename the long name files as suggested in one of the feedback posts at the download site, or do they work “as is”?
    Many thanks.

48. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I always use the DLC folder and they work just fine, and that's what I tend to see recommended in most readmes. They could work fine if you put them in paks for all I know, but I've never tried it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. OldVern

Yes that seems to be working, thanks.
    So far in summary I would say the route is great, apart from the odd misplaced rock or rock face. The roads look a bit odd, as if two single carriageway roads have been laid side by side to create a dual carriageway (divided highway).

The locos even with the mods still a bit odd, running downhill on the 1.2% into Moab, it really felt like running on treacle, able to keep speed just on 1st step of dynamics.

This is also a route where you could get caught out by the save bug, I'm currently on the third or fourth session playing through the first proper Journey mode scenario - so far restored okay but...

50. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

AC44CW have buged Dynamic Brakes! On SD70ACe Dynamic Brake works great so I hope that AC44CW get some updated physics as well, at Expansion Pack timeframe.