How Do I Identify Which Train Model I'm Driving By Looking At The Train Physically?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Kyle423, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Kyle423

Kyle423 New Member

Epic Games edition
    Trying to get the CSX train going, its like the 1st mission after the set of tutorials. Y101 Morning Delivery Been trying to find out why my train wont move after initial startup, its a hot startup, so I just gotta release the two brakes, cut out valve to freight and input the reverser handle and put it into forward and go but it wont.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  2. bluetiger#2496

bluetiger#2496 Member

Usually, especially with American trains, they have the loco type printed on the cab side. For Sand Patch, the other easy way to tell is that the GP 38 has three fans on the top and the two bogies each have two axles. The SD 40 has 5 fans on top, and three axles on each bogie. The AC4400 is the one that has the more modern cab and looks much bigger. IF you have the DLC, the C40-8W and the AC4400 are hard to tell apart from the outside. I'm not sure on a good way to do so, but the cabs are noticeably different on the inside.

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

On the side of the cab by the road number, the model is given in smaller lettering.

Or just get used to the "tells" - the biggest one is that a GP38-2 has four axles, short "porches" front and back and three fans on top. An SD40-2 has six axles, long porches and five fans, and a brake wheel on the left side of the short hood. The AC 4400 of course has a full-width cab and a "hunchback" - also, there is a lightning bolt painted under the road number.

4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I suggest that you run (or, perhaps, re-run) the engine's tutorial: there's more to a "hot" startup than you've listed. By the way, that handle is called a reverser, not a traverse. Although I don't and won't use the Epic Games edition of TSW2, it shouldn't be any different from the Steam product for this route.

5. bluetiger#2496

bluetiger#2496 Member

just a thought, did you set the MU-2A valve to "Lead or Dead"? That's an easy to miss step that you didn't mention and would stop the train from moving.

6. Kyle423

Kyle423 New Member

Yeah I found a video on the same mission and you have to put that valve to lead or dead and then move the independent brake valve to bail-off until you raise the BC. Dont quite remember that step as when you go to do it in the tutorials the voice cuts out and you dont know why you do that so it becomes easy to forget.

7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Generally in tutorials it's a good idea to wait until the vocal instruction is finished, for that reason.