Devstream, Friday June 29th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrainSim-Luke, Jun 28, 2018.

?
  1. London - Brighton

25 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Allgäubahn

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. U.P. 119 on Cheyenne 1869

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. TrainSim-Luke

TrainSim-Luke Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    For the end of the month Friday stream, Matt and Luke will be playing some Train Sim World: NEC and talking about the new Ruhr Seig Nord route, then playing some Train Simulator 2018.

We've decided to throw a vote for a route to run in Train Simulator 2018, the options are the London to Brighton route, the Allgäubahn or the Union Pacific 119 on the Cheyenne 1869 route
    Cast your votes!

Join us on twitch: twitch.tv/dovetailgames
    Join us on Mixer: mixer.com/trainsimworld
    Join us on Steam: store.steampowered.com/app/24010

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  2. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Allgäubahn, but please with some nice PZB and adverse signals :D
    You know me Luke :P

Cheers,
    Prof

• Like Like x 3
  3. StevenJam

StevenJam Member

I'd say London to Brighton, you can't go wrong with a good run along that line. May be an older route but still one of my favorites.

4. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

How about doing London to Brighton on Danny's South London to Brighton merged route? You could make a nice trip from Victoria to Brighton, trundling through places like Herne Hill and Crystal Palace.

• Like Like x 1
  5. StevenJam

StevenJam Member

Having a merged route shown on stream would be a nice thing to see. Could do a detour scenario and that would be able to show off a good area of the routes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

Being new to this I thought I needed to look up what a Devstream was. I found this online from another game

‘ basically the Devs, and community manager sit down and discuss upcoming features, frames, skins,more works, anything related to gameplay’

Which I guess is what I expected.

Now the TSW content in this weeks Devstream seems to fit that reasonably well. But for TS2018 does London to Brighton for example, unless it’s being redone, fit that definition?

I know that there are people who enjoy watching the game being played online by an expert like Matt and the conversations around it. But my question is more is this the best use of DTG’s time in communicating with the community, playing a pretty well known route? It’s a social event (and nothing wrong with that) and of course there’s not always going to be new content to show. Would the time be better spent by Matt showing TS2018 editor techniques, discussions on performance and hardware specs or even spending some time showing how DLCs are built? Again apologies to those who like the current format, it’s just a thought about whether there might be alternatives.

In a similar thought vein has DTG ever held an Open Day for the community? It could include presentations on software building and perhaps some lifting of the veil as to what is in the pipeline? If nothing else it might provide a forum for the community to discuss issues face to face with DTG which might be a little more productive than some of the forum back and forth. Would people attend or watch livestreams if such a thing existed?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

So they discuss new stuff whilst playing old stuff... Still fits with the description

8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Well I picked up the WCML Trent Valley route in the summer sale and its a really nice looking route with fun scenarios etc. London to Brighton, while being my most played route for sentimental reasons, is showing its age these days. If they showcased a nice looking route with lots of rolling stock that's relatively recent as opposed to an old well known route...

I agree with Medellinexpat. Odd choice of options. I'd have showcased something I wanted to ship lots of units of in the sales. Learning point to lean across the table to the marketing/financial guys perhaps..?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Medellinexpat

Sunscreen Wouldn’t the revised Portsmouth Direct be an obvious candidate to show? Presumably there’s something that could be shown at this point and it would be the opportunity to show the upgrades made and the new Waterloo. It would also provide some insight into what were (or are) the challenges.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

No, because if they showed it people would then start going on about it not being released yet etc...

11. Medellinexpat

ARuscoe Would they? Is your argument that a DEV stream should only contain released items? In your earlier response you said ‘so they discuss new stuff while playing old stuff’. Why not play the new stuff? Surely that’s the whole point of a development stream?

12. ARuscoe

Nope. The point of a dev stream for me is to update people on what is in development. Given it's a video medium they have to do SOMETHING on screen, and they've chosen gameplay. If things are in development they are inherently unfinished and this forum is full of vultures who love nothing more than to rip things apart.
    If I was a DTG dev I wouldn't want unfinished things on here to receive that treatment, would you?

13. Medellinexpat

ARuscoe no, I wouldn’t want things ripped apart but it’s an overall process management by DTG. They posted up a couple of weeks ago that Portsmouth Direct was coming soon. Now if that new route isn’t ready to show - and remember they can choose what they show, they can script this pretty tightly to avoid known issues - then they shouldn’t have made the original posting. I’d have thought when they talk about a ‘coming soon’ route it’s effectively out of testing and being wrapped up for release. And that is what I believe they have done. Bottom line if it’s going out in the next month and they aren’t confident enough to show it in a scripted demo then it probably isn’t ready to go out!

I guess we have different opinions but having Matt drive a well known route while he cherry picks questions people put up on the chat feeds doesn’t seem very useful to me. In many cases the answers are ‘we are working on that, nothing to say at this point, we’ll get back to you’ which may be valid, but doesn’t really achieve anything. The fact that he’s also driving means that he isn’t totally focused on the responses. Perhaps it would make more sense for Luke to drive and Matt to respond to the questions coming in?

Now if people want to watch an expert like Matt driving a route that’s fine, but call it something else.

TrainSim Karoke where Matt and Luke sing popular hits of the 60s as they demonstrate slightly newer DLCs?

• Helpful Helpful x 2