Quick 395 Question

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Princess Entrapta, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Just wondering, is there a way to turn off the very distracting high pitched ding that this makes every 30 seconds or so? Not had time to fully go over the manual for it, so I haven't worked out what it's related to, or if it can be turned off.

It's just at that sort of pitch that causes my ears to hurt, and I don't think I can drive any services where this is gonna be a thing without turning my speakers off.

2. Princess Entrapta

Hmm, it went away after the power switchover, so was it some kind of indicator of the switch approaching?

3. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

You might be reffering to the AWS alarm. This gets triggered everytime your train passes over an AWS ramp (pictured below), which are usually placed 200 yards before a signal.

[​IMG]

In the case of a Javelin, even if you don't have AWS enabled, I think the chime will still play anyways.

The reason why it stops after the power switchover is that beyond Ebbsfleet International, you'll be driving along HighSpeed 1 (HS1), which uses a different signaling system (that would be the French TVM) that does not utilize these AWS ramps, and therefore no ringing.

These ramps exist across most of the UK's railways, and if you wish to learn more about them there are plenty of tutorials online.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. mrcharliemiggins2.0

mrcharliemiggins2.0 Well-Known Member

Are you travelling towards London or towards Faversham?

5. Princess Entrapta

That may be it, yes. It's kinda like the ringing in people's ears in action movies after an explosion. I was curious if it was a residual AWS thing since to my knowledge, I'd disabled AWS but it still kept going. It's an absolute menace because it's impossible to concentrate while it's constantly going off, and I was so distracted I wasn't paying attention to signals or anything, trying to find a way to turn it off.

6. Princess Entrapta

Extra level of simulation depth - prying open the panels looking for this alarm's wires
    snip.PNG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Princess Entrapta

Looking over it when running timetable services, it doesn't seem to be the AWS, that's more of a boop at frequent points any time the notification changes, as on any other loco with it enabled.
    This is an extremely high pitched bell ringing that occurs in addition to that, at a different unrelated interval to it. And it was only occurring at certain parts of the line in the tutorial. Currently trying to replicate it on timetable services to find out where and why it turns up.

*EDIT*
    Hmmm, I may actually have been confusing the AWS and TVM systems for which one was making which sound actually. The boop seems to be the TVM. So I guess the ringing could indeed be the AWS, continuing messing with switches to try and see what kills this sound.

8. Princess Entrapta

So yeah, I think I've confirmed it's a bug with the tutorial for the 395 that even if you disable the AWS, the sound effects play, but on regular services that doesn't happen as I cannot replicate this behaviour in timetable mode.

9. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

You sure it’s not the Drivers safety device that’s making the hig pitched noice at regular intervals?

10. Princess Entrapta

Does that sound kinda like the bell of an old fashioned telephone ringing?
    If so it could be.
    Whatever it is I have not been able to replicate it outside of the tutorial, so I kinda gave up on trying to figure out what it was, as it didn't matter once I was doing regular services. It was going off persistently for a while during that training scenario though.