Ac4400 Up And Csx Differences

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sparmi, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I'm not the only one, who has discovered this height difference between the AC4400 model from UP and the one from CSX. Of course there are minor differences and modifications from the manufacturer's side, like the different-looking bogies, but I couldn't find enough evidence of a significant height difference as seen in the game. Maybe the UP version lies a little higher, because of the rocky terrain in Utah, which could damage the large tank below... ;)

AC4400 UP vs. CSX Collage.jpg

...and I found a real photography of both versions in one train, on the same level.
    AC4400 UP and CSX.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the World of Model Railways. For many years one loco was just resprayed to be a different livery of a different running company or even look a like loco, then called that loco type as what "They" wanted everyone to assume it was. It has only changed since Rapido Trains Inc https://rapidotrains.com/ started modelling Locos properly, have we seen a change in other companies following their lead. They also now do British trains https://rapidotrains.co.uk/

3. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! I know what you mean, becuase I also have a model railway, but in nominal size TT (1:120). In former times it was the usual procedure to produce a uniform model (or casting mold) and then go into mass production. The trick is to print it in different colors to create the illusion of different railway companies, but small details and differences are mostly not taken into account. Nice to see, that nowadays the demands are increasing and that the manufacturers react to it...and in the digital world, improvements are usually made with updates!

• Like Like x 1
  4. borg#1850

I have no connection to Rapido other than a very satisfied owner of a lot of their locos and rolling stock. I can highly recommend the company and their customer service, is something "Many" companies could take a "Lesson" from pointing at TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Which is right and which is wrong??

6. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Good question? I guess the UP version is a little bit to high, because its coupling is also a little bit higher than the rest of the American locos and wagons.

• Like Like x 1
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The CSX version is correct. It seems that Skyhook modeled the UP Hi-Ad trucks somewhat oversize, or at least a bit too tall, which raised the whole frame and body a few inches too high. Very obvious when you look at the coupler to the first car.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Doesn’t sound like a quick fix, if it’ll ever be fixed.

9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The UP AC4400CW is too high, this was mentioned a few times before release, but it became apparent once the DLC was out.

It is really noticeable when you look at the couplers between any of the rolling stock and the UP AC44.
    i3F6VyQ.jpg
    MTo5XRV.jpg

Think Skyhook could use one of these :D
    00206.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. Greenroad

Greenroad Active Member

This annoys me to no end. It sounds silly but I cannot run that ac44 from the outside view because of it lol. It’s a flaw I cannot unsee.

11. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

…ridiculous that something like this slips through the cracks- easy enough to spot as long as you bother to check. Awesome pic of the Kaydee coupler height gauge btw… been there, done that!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Oh dear. Not good.

13. borg#1850

You have to hope for no Short Lines track work or it would come uncoupled LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I also discovered some painting problems with the UP version in the Livery Designer. In contrast to the CSX version it is not possible to create a scaled texture projection at the front and rear side, no matter whether it is shapes or letters. So therefor an update is needed too!